News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

All-system 4x4 Gaming board

Started by Narric, March 15, 2013, 08:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Does anybody have advice for a gaming board that can be used for any/all wargaming system?

I'd prefer to have it modular (four 2x2 squares), but if making it a single board is easier, than I'll have to do that.

My first thoughts was purchasing a normal 4x4 square of wood, and coating the upper surface with Sand/glue/grass. My concern after that is how to go about terrain features.

Should I try and make the best out of cheap terrain features (Fish tank scenary, model railway scenary), or should I bite the bullet, and purchase GW terrain kits and/or other company terrain kits?

The final intention of the board is to be able to explain multiple game sytems to new players.

Zen

Woodland areas would be best for all systems. Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Steampunk, Victorian Sci-Fi/Steampunk, Post-Apocalyptic Oasis, etc.

I think you need to bite the bullet the get the real stuff that would be easy for you to make professional-looking terrain.

Arguleon-veq

I like getting 3 4x2 boards, then you can either make a 4x4 or 6x4 pretty easily and with far fewer lines through it that you would get by using 2x2 squares.

Just paint it in a flat colour with some sand/flock and you can make some great jungle terrain from aquarium plants, aquarium plants are so funky looking that I think it looks miles better than the pre made stuff you can buy anyway. Put them on wooden bases and scatter them around the table and you have some great terrain. That terrain applies to most games but what else you should go for depends on the system being played.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

silverfuge

I think it comes down to what system you intend on playing. At the club we have a mixture mainly cause I play all sorts of systems and prefer 2x2 boards however if you just play GW/PP 28mm games then gor for 4x2 boards. I would personcally advise against Gw boards as even their own staff admit your stuff with them as changing them is hard espeacially with the skulls which look nice but you very quickly realise make changing the boards often inpraticle. I hope to have been of some use.
Gm is God

Narric

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think a more sci-fi/steampunk board would be best.

I think two 2x4 boards is a better idea than my four 2x2.

I think my first concern will be where to get these boards. I've yet to spot a jounary (woodshop, whatever) near where I live.

Osiris

you could always go to a home improvement store, it doesnt have to be a wood store specifically. or even go online and order the boards from a hardware store.

you could also check out ebay to see if anyone is selling their boards (some people sell naked boards, being no scenery, but it may be based/flocked).

as to making your gaming table, ive no real idea towards that other than do what you feel will be right for the system you are playing. be it going with a generic table that is an ice world, or a woodland area as stated above, or, a battlefield with craters and stuff. good luck though.
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

Waaaghpower

Home depot always has good options for plywood and other materials.
Question, though: Warhammer is typically a 6x4 board, isn't it? Won't that leave you a bit short on space?
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Narric

Quote from: Waaaghpower on March 18, 2013, 04:41:37 PM
Home depot always has good options for plywood and other materials.
Question, though: Warhammer is typically a 6x4 board, isn't it? Won't that leave you a bit short on space?
I'm short on space to begin with :P

4x4 allows for skirmish style/low point games to be played, while 6x4 are more for 1000+point games.

Using 4x2 boards however, I can get a third, and keep it around on the off chance I can make spare for a 6x4 board.