News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Reserves and Deathwing assault

Started by Will's on Fire, March 24, 2013, 09:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will's on Fire

Just something I heard about last game that I'm not sure works.

I was told that as deathwing assault brings in the squads turn 1, if you go pure deathwing you can keep your entire army in reserve and then bring them on first turn making sure you have units on the board.

Does this work? Because the way it's written, it never says they enter reserves, just that they will be deployed via the deathwing assault. I'm not convinced it should allow it, but I struggle to counter it.

Cheers,

- Will

Chicop76

Quote from: Will's on Fire on March 24, 2013, 09:58:59 AM
Just something I heard about last game that I'm not sure works.

I was told that as deathwing assault brings in the squads turn 1, if you go pure deathwing you can keep your entire army in reserve and then bring them on first turn making sure you have units on the board.

Does this work? Because the way it's written, it never says they enter reserves, just that they will be deployed via the deathwing assault. I'm not convinced it should allow it, but I struggle to counter it.

Cheers,

- Will

Hey I just asked this question lol. I had the same problem which pissed me off. I was so pissed that I did my whatever and just played him with him doing that.

I personally think it's bs for this reasons.

1. They went out of the way to state that half your army must deploy on the board with half going in ds. Daemons used to do the same thing, but half will come in on 1st turn. My problem with this is that they just got rid of Damons having there entire army in reserves. If DA was meant to do that, they wouldn't had taken it away from daemons and drop pod armies.

2. If you choose turn 2 you lose the game. Which forces you to deploy 1/2 in turn 1. My issue is that it is trying to take advatage of the twin linked rule. The problem I seen s far it's not as effective as I thought it would be. Grant it I went to ground with 2 units and he had no flamers which he said was worthless. Anyway I never seen a DA all terminator army do anything, but die. In fact putting them so close to me so I can twin plasma them to death is even better. They never seem to have a real shooting bite or a real strong combat bite. If it was space wolves I would be scared somewhat, but with DA it seems like it's a dis advantage.

3. Funny that I played my 8 year old kid who at first thought about doing the same thing, but changed his mind when daddy destroyed an all terminator list. Than he was smart enough to get his bike on my weak side and have his terms come in turn 2. I acually lost to him due to this. If he would had turn 1 ds in front my army he would had lost that game. It helps to make a lot of +5 invul saves.

4. It works with daemons cause daemons have flamers of tzeentch and horrors. Anyway it is trying to take advantage of a loop hole. It is really what I call making up a loop hole just to do it. Unless te opponent have poor or no ap 2 weapons it's not really all that effective.