News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Thirster and Fateweaver is it still viable?

Started by Chicop76, March 24, 2013, 03:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

Personally I am loving heralds so much I don't see anyone really doing this at all. Heralds help your squads sooo much it's crazy not to take them.

1. Tzeentch not taking herald you lose +1 spell strength, extra 2-4d6 str 6 ap 4 shots, re roll to hit, etc.

2. Slaanesh you losing out on re roll to hit always, challenging anyone and they have to accept with the model of your choosing, +2 weapons

3. Extra assaults, re rolls on charge, +2 ap weapons from Khorne

4. +2 ap weapons, feel no pain, etc with nurgle

That said if you really want to go the flying circus route this is an option. Mind you that it's super expensive and taking away from your troop options. With that said he is what I suggest.

1. Take True Names. It would be a good ideal to probably give this to the Thirster or Fateweaver. I would give it to a winged prince. The problem is the bearer do not get the desired effect. Meaning the bearer have to survive to give out true name love.

A. With True Names on a roll of a 3+ your Fateweaver will have a +2 Invulnerable save or your Thirster will have a +3 Invulnerable save. Remember Fateweaver being Tzeentch re rolls ones, so the only way he would get wounded is that he he rolls two ones back to back. In a way he is harder to kill in this edition than in last edition. Not only that, but throw in that weaver can re roll at anytime one roll a turn.

2. Now that you have +2 invulnerable save how will you prevent the +5 possible invulnerable save from warp storm or from true name. Hmm that where your warlord trait to re roll warp storm come in handy. Also you may roll a 1 or 2 on true names. No sweat you can use Fateweaver to re roll on true names to make sure you get the +3 invulnerable. It's almost like True Names andFateweaver goes really well together.

The problem however is your bearer will be a huge kill that please. On the bright side you can sit back 24" away from the other two to give them the army crushing love that they really like. Although some biomancy powers might help the price survive with adding wings to him.

That being said you can get away with just ignoring weaver, but you can't ignore that Thirster. Although the weaver can buff the Thirster giving him re rolls to hit. Also speaking from experance a +3 invulnerbale Thirster is insane and can take out 15 terminators in combat. Ws 10 really helps out. Anyway weaver can sit back and boost the thirster by giving him re rolls to hit and the ability to re roll on invulnerable saves unless he is already doing so.

Next time I play I may try the flying circus. That being said I know one prince will be almost 300 points with 3 biomancy rolls.

I personally think it won't do well, but it might surprise me.

crisis_vyper

I would agree that having Heralds help Daemons as a general rule of the thumb, but you will also need at least one Greater Daemon as a HQ. This is because they offer some unique capabilities for the list when you need some decent flying monstrous creatures threat and they could hit very hard, especially the bloodthirster.

But I actually believe that Fateweaver is one of the main ways to reduce a sense of randomness from the warp table, daemonic instability, and other random dice roll that is needed during the entire game. In a way rerolling a D6 that matters in one turn is very important especially for daemons.

But a combination of Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch is the way to go if you want a reliable objective sitter, a fast and brutal assault unit, and some anti-tank respectively.

Chicop76

Quote from: crisis_vyper on April 01, 2013, 08:27:54 AM
I would agree that having Heralds help Daemons as a general rule of the thumb, but you will also need at least one Greater Daemon as a HQ. This is because they offer some unique capabilities for the list when you need some decent flying monstrous creatures threat and they could hit very hard, especially the bloodthirster.

But I actually believe that Fateweaver is one of the main ways to reduce a sense of randomness from the warp table, daemonic instability, and other random dice roll that is needed during the entire game. In a way rerolling a D6 that matters in one turn is very important especially for daemons.

But a combination of Nurgle, Slaanesh and Tzeentch is the way to go if you want a reliable objective sitter, a fast and brutal assault unit, and some anti-tank respectively.

I done the combo with a decked out prince and it destroyed another daemon/ chaos marine list.

Fateweaver helped me get +1 invul twice in the game. Both times I got it was due from me re rollin on the table. If he had a psyker I would had blown him up.

Also he helped me keep my +3 invulnerable or +2 via grimorie all game long except one turn.

He kept my alluress alive vs a bloodthirster and due to instability my 35 point model killed the Thirster.

Kept me from falling out of the air

Helped me pass a psychic test for endurance

And helped with a slaanesh unit assault roll which gave them two re rolls from fleet and from weaver.

Weaver also had pupptmaster and the ability to force a unit to re roll savings throws if they passed.

He could had done more, but didn't want to make the nurgle units have a better fnp.

The thirster cleaned up like usual taking out a landraider and a grinder