News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Tau Empire - Review

Started by Arguleon-veq, April 06, 2013, 06:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carrelio

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on April 09, 2013, 06:33:56 PM
3 S9 ordnance has a good shot at stopping a Land Raider [especially with them being so big you should hardly ever miss, you have 2 chances of getting that 6 for the pen and its AP2 for a 1/3 chance to blow it up] plus the key to the list is the fireline behind the aegis, thanks to prescience and the fireblades so long as you keep in support range you will blow away most of a termie squad as they actually charge you.

See... that's what I thought... unit I ran the numbers...
This is the chance of the Ion Accelerator in it's S9 AP2 Ordinance mode to damage a vehicle.

Ion Accelerator: Nova
AV   HP   Pen   Explode
10   0.28   0.27   0.09
11   0.27   0.25   0.08
12   0.25   0.21   0.07
13   0.21   0.15   0.05
14   0.15   0.09   0.03

That's dreadful.

Alcibiates

You're running numbers that are un-adjusted for markerlight BS increases, which, in the current book, is the wrong way to look at things. If you take a hit and work from those numbers (presume 2 markerlights for BS5 if you really need to drop a landraider), you really run quite good odds.

The Man They Call Jayne

Also consider that with the BS boost cap now gone from markerlights, you can, with some effort, prevent the Riptide Nova Blast from scattering at all.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Carrelio

Let me run the numbers for you guys on an auto-hit blast template; the issue isn't the scatter, it's the overheat.

Alcibiates

Quote from: Carrelio on April 09, 2013, 06:41:54 PM
Let me run the numbers for you guys on an auto-hit blast template; the issue isn't the scatter, it's the overheat.

If my understanding is correct, you get to roll for the nova-charge at the beginning of movement, so if you are running three riptides (as the above list is) two of three should get it to go off. With the range of the ion accelerator, you can take the shot from most anywhere on the table for a landraider. If you really are forced into a rough position, you can soak it in markerlights to strip off a cover save and go for a barrage shot.

Carrelio

Yes, you roll at the beginning of the phase for the nova reactor. Then in the shooting phase you roll Gets Hot for another 1/6.

The Man They Call Jayne

The Ion Accelerator isn't a Barrage weapon. It's Ordnance when Novacharged, but not Barrage.

Alcibiates

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 09, 2013, 06:46:11 PM
The Ion Accelerator isn't a Barrage weapon. It's Ordnance when Novacharged, but not Barrage.

My understanding was that any ordnance weapon could opt to fire in barrage.

The Man They Call Jayne

Not to my knowledge. Ordnance allows you 2d6 and pick the highest for armour penetration rolls. Barrage is a seperate rule that allows indirect fire with Blast Weapons.

Carrelio

Alright, I've crunched the numbers assuming a direct hit.

Ion Accelerator: Nova, BS10
AV   HP   Pen   Explode
10   0.56   0.54   0.18
11   0.54   0.51   0.17
12   0.48   0.42   0.14
13   0.42   0.31   0.11
14   0.31   0.17   0.06

So assuming my numbers are correct...
An automatic hit, will be much better than BS3 (duh)... however due to the 56% failure rate due to overheating (both from the nova generator itself and Gets Hot!), the nova version of the ion accelerator is still batting less than a hammerhead in the antitank department (though you will strip nearly the same number of hull points a turn), it wounds itself doing so, and it costs more at a baseline.

Charistoph

Of course, as a MC, a Riptide can always fall back on another option and just Smash.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Carrelio

Yes, then it is exactly as potent as a hammerhead railgun.  Which is still sub-optimal against a landraider, but against everything else, you'll like be hitting rear armour 10 for an auto pen.  Like other close range CC options this one is a very good one, but still raises the problem of getting it there in a reasonable amount of time.

Chicop76

I have mixed fealings about the codex. It was sold out, but I got a chance to read the storecpoy.

First off gun drones cost more while some drones droppedin 1/2.

I think missle drones are awesome with a drone cntroller. The missle pod shots at orc bs for hardly any points is a wtf upgrade. It's rather easy to spam the upgrade. They do limit 2 per squad. However 6 squads of fire warriors with 3 pathfinder squads can easily take 18 drones for 36 str 7 ap 4 shots at 36" range for under 600 points rather easily.

Personally I don't see the need for missle drones on the suits.

I'm surprised Dark Strider wasn't mentioned here. I just bought him cause he's awesome. Ranged rad grenades with the ability to move out of assault range. I can jump out of atransport and double tap with 6 str 6 ap 1 shots and 4 strength 7 shots with extra carbine shots all wounding marines on 2s.

Carrelio

Quote from: Chicop76 on April 09, 2013, 11:36:22 PM
I have mixed fealings about the codex. It was sold out, but I got a chance to read the storecpoy.

I think missle drones are awesome with a drone cntroller. The missle pod shots at orc bs for hardly any points is a wtf upgrade. It's rather easy to spam the upgrade. They do limit 2 per squad. However 6 squads of fire warriors with 3 pathfinder squads can easily take 18 drones for 36 str 7 ap 4 shots at 36" range for under 600 points rather easily.

I'm surprised Dark Strider wasn't mentioned here. I just bought him cause he's awesome. Ranged rad grenades with the ability to move out of assault range. I can jump out of atransport and double tap with 6 str 6 ap 1 shots and 4 strength 7 shots with extra carbine shots all wounding marines on 2s.

Someone didn't read the day one FAQ  :P
Missile drones are only for broadsides.

Chicop76

Quote from: Carrelio on April 09, 2013, 11:37:51 PM
Quote from: Chicop76 on April 09, 2013, 11:36:22 PM

Someone didn't read the day one FAQ  :P
Missile drones are only for broadsides.

N(oooooooo

You kidding right.