News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Mob Rule used like ATSKNF?

Started by Waaaghpower, April 16, 2013, 05:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

So, I had a thought... Could Orks be almost as good as Space Marines in terms of Leadership? The rules for 'Mob Rule' don't say you HAVE to replace the number of models with your leadership. Nor does it say you can't use it if your model count is lower than your base leadership. So could, say, a unit of Biker Nobz intentionally fail a leadership test to try and flee if they lost a couple models? Or could a squad of 30 ork boys take 8 casualties in the shooting phase, then use their leadership 7 to intentionally try and flee? Ignoring how un-orky it is.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Personally, I would say no. I would have to go with Rules as Intended, which to me is the way that's done now. the Mob Rule is used while you have more models than your base leadership, after that you use your base leadership.

It's a nice thought, and could be argued if there was a particularly cunning Ork Warboss, but personally I don't think it would be allowed.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

I just realized I should probably list the actual rule, for context:
Ork mobs may always choose to substitute the number of Orks in their mob for their normal Leadership value. If an Ork mob numbers 11 or more models, it has the Fearless special rule.

Deraj

Even using RaW that means you could use your idea between 8 and 10 orks. It's a cool idea, but... probably not.

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Deraj on April 16, 2013, 05:53:52 PM
Even using RaW that means you could use your idea between 8 and 10 orks. It's a cool idea, but... probably not.
Why could I only use it between 8 and 10 orks?

Narric

RAW & RAIn both point this to be a no go WP.

However, you could easily run it as a house-rule especially if, as Mkoll said, you write fluff for a very cunning Ork Leader.

Waaaghpower

Just figured that out.
Still, with a squad of, say, 4 Biker Nobz that took 1 casualty, could you use it to run away with LD3 and then regroup at LD7 (or 9, with a warboss?)

Chicop76

With your low I why would you want to fail leadership :facepalm001: If it's in combat and you losing more than likely they have a higher I and will wipe you out. However it can be useful to get out of assault range which can be helpful.

The problem with what you want to do is that it aplies to models 10 and under. If over 11 you are fearless. Even if you choose to use your leadership of 7 you are fearless and wouldn't matter unless I'm flaming you with my Calladius Assassin or hitting you with shriek and in those cases I think you want to be leadership 10.

Now if you have 10 -8 boys you can opt to use 7 to have a higher chance to fail. If you are 1 - 6 you can opt to use the squad size to fail.

I can see if an assaulty army shot at you and you did that to avoid combat, so you can attempt to charge that unit next turn. If you have a boss pole you can easily rally hopefully and regroup, so you do not run off the board.

Other than that I don't see to my circumstances you want to fail. Against a carnifex or something.

Now if you was Tau or Ig I can see why you want to do this, so you can shoot that squad up your following turn.

Example wytches assault you on his turn, and on your turn you use your lower leadership to force them to die to the wytches. Than you blast them on your turn.

Waaaghpower

It is fairly limited use, but I have seen times when it was helpful. For example, a squad of Grey Knights termies firing at my (VERY expensive) Nob bikers. It may not be something you have to use a whole lot, but for the times it is useful, you get to troll the heck out of the opponent.

Chicop76

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 16, 2013, 08:19:24 PM
It is fairly limited use, but I have seen times when it was helpful. For example, a squad of Grey Knights termies firing at my (VERY expensive) Nob bikers. It may not be something you have to use a whole lot, but for the times it is useful, you get to troll the heck out of the opponent.

I can see a few uses for it. Although Marines in the right hands are very annoying.