News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Chris's Black Templars WIP

Started by Chris, May 03, 2013, 08:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hey guys... So I've hit a time in Uni where I've found painting is really relaxing!
So I've cracked out some of my paints and my Black Templars and gone to them... I've really tried to make each model look unique whilst maintaining a level of unity as an army.

This is part of the infantry alone, I have a few Powerfist totting Initiates to drop in one picked up some super glue and some more paint, but otherwise, this is where I am at so far!

The Infantry:

Separated into squads, but not necessarily the proper squads.

The Heroes:

Marshal (Unknown name so far... Not yet decided)

Master of Sanctity (Name also Unknown)

Elites:

Possibly my favourite squad so far. There is just so much stuff on the models that it is a joy to paint them. Really being held up by a need for more paint with these guys now...

A model I've had knocking around for a while, but not really used. I'm going to go over some of his painting and re-do parts.

Troops:

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

This is minus the Emperor's Champion as I'm currently looking for a new model and the current one is just a bit naff really...
Anyway, Thoughts?

Narric

How do you paint white? It seems to give a veryr blotchy finish, and there are a few "white" places which could do with a few more coates of white.

Your Heroes look cool. However, aren't Marshalls supposed to have Golden Armour? The MoS could do with same bone/white highlights on the helmet, and on most of his iconography. Just make sure to use a different highlighting colour when doing the parchments and tabard, to give to clear distinction between them and the Icons.

Termies look good also, though I wonder why you used Chaos pieces. They're not really modded enough for them to not look chaos-y. I can see from the Dreadnought that you've already bought form Forge World (or at least second hand Forge World) and wonder why you didn't purchase any Terminator parts from them?

The Dread needs more detail, like most of the army, but the Dread is very much a Center-piece model in my opinion, and should be painted as such. Its going to draw enemy fire though, as it it obviously a CC Dread.

With your troops, I mst ask you to re-read your suad options, as I'm sure most of them are illegal. If this is for tabletop, making you squads legal at the modelling stage is crucial. However, If you're just wanting something for a Showcase, then I guess its alright, though keep in mind the limits of what a squad can actually take.

Aside from potentially illegal squad loadouts, these are some decent models. I'll be honest and say that visually they still need work.
Try and look up tutorials for painting white. I'me seen what the new line of GW Paints CAN do, but I never rely that that is what they WILL do.

Finally, don't be afraid to include some one-hit colours. I often try and hit a colour triangle, by having a single colour appear in only three places in small quantities. I'm not sure how effective it is in general, but its an interesting idea to approached when painting models.

Chris

Thanks for your feed back.
For the white I started from a black base, then went Celestra grey, Blue wash, and then built up with a few coats of watered down ceramite white. I then put a light black wash over it, just to give it a grittier feel... I agree some of it needs touching up, but that's why its WIP eh?

Marshal doesn't need to be in golds, Helbrecht is in Bronze, but the Marshal's would follow the standard Black armour, unless you wanted otherwise... I'm trying to go for a kind of 'Run of the mill Marshal', just a line holder. That's the sort of role he fills in game.

As for the squad load outs, the description amongst the pictures says that these aren't the proper squad loadouts. They are just chosen for picture effect. The actual squads are legal.

Thanks again! I'll be checking in for updates.

Narric

Your method near exact to mine, except for two steps.
1. I don't use blue, I use Black wash.
2. after the second black wash, I then redo the detail in white.

It resuts something like this. The blotchy ness is cuased by my paints being too thin, and very shakey application.

I think using a wash to create a "gritty" effect won't work, in my mind. It usually results in a very greasy/muddy appearence.

My bad on assuming the pictures were of the in-game squads ^_^;; Have you posted an army list of your current collection? Maybe including what you plan to add?

I guess non-black Marshall are painted that way so they stand out amongst the bodies :P

One place I'd reckomend to check out for BT stuff would be Nocker Geek: http://www.nockergeek.net/2013/05/02/black-templars-marchs-painting-progress/
May give you something to aspire to, and possibly seek direct advice from ;)