News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Should I run Flammers???

Started by Chicop76, May 29, 2013, 05:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

I ask myself that all the time I play daemons in 6th. My 9 metal flammers scream out why!!..! Play me ! Play me! I tell them blame Games Workshop.

Yesturday. I sat reading my codex and looked up at the flammers agin. This time with a bit of a new lite.

Honestly tx to eldar I have put away my Tzeentch. Space wolves is not too bad, stil hard to cast on them, but I can still cast on my self, at least I am no killing myself. Grey knights and eldar seem like an instant lose for daemons.

I have high hopes that anti psyker gear that seems to be nerfed everywhere we look will hit the Eldar as well. Wouldn't be surprised if I see a unit with +2 deny thr witch, but that's better than me taking perils all the time.

Well I was thinking should I bother with taking rewards on my tzeentch heralds and horrors. After carefully looking running a bunch of lesser rewards wouldn't be a bad ideal. Since I deep strike tzeentch a lot getting a +2 to come in would be helpful. Throw in the fact that I have an instrument in on my units it would be a good reward. 2 other rewards are ranged attack. A strength 5 ap 5 flamer or strength 8 range attack wouldn't be bad, so far half the rewards are working out fine.

Also looking at +1 deny the witch which could be +3 deny or the double strength on a 6 is nice.

While looking at my Tzeentch units and Lord of Change. My flamers pleeded what about me.

It's interesting I have used them once. Sadly they just sat behind a building al day and couldn't fire. I really wish they still had warp fire so I had more than just flame attacks

As I was looking at the stats I noticed the pyrocaster was bs 5. Heck that's a wasted bs right. Wrong. I than remembered that he can have a strength 8 ranged attack. If you go two lesser rewards you have a 33% chance of getting a strength 8 ranged attack. If you don't get the long ranged attack you can get the strength 5 ap 4 flame attack.

I think this was the flamer selling point for me. For just under 90 points I have a strength 6 ap 4 model with 3 attacks on the charge with 6 wounds sitting at toughness 4. The ws is pretty bad, but it doesn't matter. What makes it more appealing is cleaving stike. Which means any roll of a 6 doubles his strength. Strength 8 +2 is 10. Throw in diviation and I am re rolling hits which helps me with those strength 10 possible hits.

If I run 3 units of 3 again. I have added cheap units that give me a chance for mor ranged options and if all else fails I can assault tanks with strength 6 attacks.

I was thinking about master crafted strength 5 ap 2 attacks or the strength 8 lance, but the greater rewards for flammers is not as good as the lesser rewards.

Also with more Tau armies out there flamers hurt dem pathfinders, although that is why I have a skull cannon for.

3 flammer attacks is still doing some damage. If you get 9 wounds plus other sources of fire you are doing decent damage.