News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Kroot Farsight Bomb.

Started by Chicop76, June 03, 2013, 01:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

I was reading a bit last night and noticed something. I can deep strike with O'Shova with a riptide. The riptide will have a the device that allows units to come in from outflank on any board edge in the game as long as you are within 6".

I was thinking an this means Kroot can now infiltrate behind the enemy lines, which makes those kroot guns awesome from the krootox. Also I can have small teams of pathfinders with devil fish come in as well with rail guns and do the same with stealth suits.

I can hit from behind which gives me 6 feet of options on where to come from. I am thinking of making two list, but this on seems to be even better and cheaper than the deep strike one. In a pinch I can infiltrate near an edge in case O'Shova can't come on and have my forces that come on pour from that edge.

Carrelio

It's certainly something you could do... but I'm not sure if it's going to be that helpful for you. It's giving you more deployment options, which is awesome... but on the other hand, that deployment option is just putting you even closer to your opponent, which has never really been something Tau want.  Further, with a range sweet spot of 36" Tau are able to hit targets pretty much from turn 1, so holding back a large portion of your army isn't a great plan either.  And while Tau have a 36" threat range, meaning they can support far away units with overlapping firing lanes, some of their abilities only work when in close proximity (supporting fire, and ethereal powers), meaning to isolate units far away from the rest of your battle line will cut down on the built in costs you are paying for by taking a Tau army (though that's less of an issue than the others, since if you play Tau well and never get charged, you are wasting those supporting fire points anyways). Finally, this strategy is a gamble.  1/3 of the time Farsight's not going to show up turn 2, and you'll just be deploying those kroot, pathfinders, stealthsuits, or whatever normally (which actually seems pretty inconsequential since the advantages gained by the positional relay are small in the first place).

It's a party trick for sure... but at this exact moment I don't see it as the go to tactic.

Chicop76

Quote from: Carrelio on June 06, 2013, 02:55:06 AM
It's certainly something you could do... but I'm not sure if it's going to be that helpful for you. It's giving you more deployment options, which is awesome... but on the other hand, that deployment option is just putting you even closer to your opponent, which has never really been something Tau want.  Further, with a range sweet spot of 36" Tau are able to hit targets pretty much from turn 1, so holding back a large portion of your army isn't a great plan either.  And while Tau have a 36" threat range, meaning they can support far away units with overlapping firing lanes, some of their abilities only work when in close proximity (supporting fire, and ethereal powers), meaning to isolate units far away from the rest of your battle line will cut down on the built in costs you are paying for by taking a Tau army (though that's less of an issue than the others, since if you play Tau well and never get charged, you are wasting those supporting fire points anyways). Finally, this strategy is a gamble.  1/3 of the time Farsight's not going to show up turn 2, and you'll just be deploying those kroot, pathfinders, stealthsuits, or whatever normally (which actually seems pretty inconsequential since the advantages gained by the positional relay are small in the first place).

It's a party trick for sure... but at this exact moment I don't see it as the go to tactic.

I can still control what side they come in by puting the gear one a side that's 6" from a side. I just need O'Shova to come from the players rear.