News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

And people wonder why all writers leave FFnet...

Started by LinnScarlett, June 04, 2013, 03:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinnScarlett

I've been down with flu the last two days so I might be a little extra grouchy, but the last thing I wanted was another one of these thrown at me. I was on the site, mind you, because I had been notified my official account deletion was FINALLY approved (why do I need approval for this? Anyway...) and I made the mistake of opening the Review Inbox. Mostly to check if all my friends had heard I was going to move...

Note two things:

1. Its anonymous (how very brave of them to hate on me anonymously...)
2. I cannot reply to anonymous comments, in fact, I cannot reply to any comments at all (previously, you couldn't even DELETE comments! now all satisfaction I had was deleting the guy's wall of text and imagining he'll drop by to gloat over it and see it gone. Yes. Small measure of satisfaction...)

I generally don't waste time on anonymous reviews, but this was just Wrong Time, Wrong Place (hence the posting/whining here ;)). I see how it could be sort of a helpful review, if it wasn't so hateful and one-sided, and, you know, ANONYMOUS.

Ugh. Today just became worse. Although I have to say, some bits made me laugh really hard. I have bolded them for your convenience...  ::)

Here's the message:

LinnScarlett,

A new guest review has been posted to your story. Please login to moderate
this review.

Story: Port Green
Chapter: 1. Part One

-------------------

DoomMarine54:"Yes, ma'am!" he replied with a jerky nod, clearly taken aback by
having found that, despite my gender, I had the infamous bite of my office
after all. I kept my gaze fixed on his for good measure. He better well
remember it.

No just no, the Imperium is not sexist they let women be space marines who are
considered the emperors angels and warriors. So this guy isn't going to be
surprised or impressed by some little piss ant commissar whose never seen real
battle just because she has a vagina and knows how to shout. Especially if
he's a jungle fighters who hate commissars since very rarely do they see
combat
. If you choose their unit to write some stupid "I am women here me
roar" feminist fic then it's no wonder you only have 15 reviews. Usually
commissars are just there to shout at hardworking troopers who couldn't win a
battle despite trying their hardest and execute officers who don't kiss their
boots because they think they're entitled to respect because of their stupid
uniforms.

Nor are most troops in awe or fear their commissars they only treat them with
respect because they're ordered to and if a commissar acts like they do in
this fic most of them end up getting "accidentally" killed by friendly fire.

-------------------
Do not reply to this email.

FanFiction.Net Messaging Service

I wonder how many of the (scarce) books about Jungle Fighters he has read, and how many about Commissars?  :derp:

So what he does... is saying that the Imperium is not sexist (...) because there are female Astartes (where? I thought only in my and Isaac's writing?  :P ). He then goes on to say that Danny would simply murder Alicia for being a woman (which is apparently not a sexist thing to do?) and a commissar (well, I can understand THAT one...). Which is followed by the conclusion that, clearly, I am a dirty feminist (how did I just become that?) writing political things (apparently obliviously? I am surprised he did not call me a fascist in the same sentence...), and I can't write for shit because I have only 15 reviews, on a site where the average amount of reviews per story is 3. This all seems TOTALLY legit, eh?

Don't mind me while I laugh about the sweet irony that he's complaining about sexism, while being completely sexist in his review...  :facepalm001:
If I were Freud, I'd say he has a very strict mother and clearly has some issues with her, and the uniform-requiring job she has.  :shifty:

I get this sort of bull about two or three times a week these days (as opposed to NEVER when I joined FFnet, when all reviews were nice and helpful and... *cue wistful music*)

I don't mind hateful reviews, you're totally entitled to hate on my fics. But if you want me to take you even remotely serious, you should bother not to do it anonymously because then my reaction is just the following:  ::) *Delete Comment? YES*

/end rant.
Had to let it out. ;)

I am just going to fantasize now about being hired by BL, publishing Alicia's story, and entertain fond, fond, fond mental images of the guy's face when he sees that. Har har har.

EDIT: I just realised I haven't even made fun of his spelling/grammar errors! Just imagine me doing so right now. Heh.  :P
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Thantos

I cant imagine you get many helpfull reviews over in the anon part of the internet, to be honest. Where people can be faceless behind a username and scream hate at something without any real backlash, its sad that its in our nature (well... the nature of a portion of the kids today) to try and feel important and superior by writing BS reviews and comments. (Youtube, tripadviser... )
Does the black library still have a forum for budding writers to post?

This guy is complaining because he thinks your writing doesnt adhere close enough to the spirit of the fluff. He also thinks there are female space marines. Because of the latter, his opinion on the former is null and invalid to the highest degree.  ::)

Get well soon!

Irisado

His reply is incoherent, and includes atrocious syntax.  Take no notice of it.  Even if you could reply to it, it would be a waste of time, as you could be spending it more productively on writing more stuff.

I haven't been on Fan Fiction for years, but if I recall correctly it was pretty clunky.  You're probably better off writing somewhere else.  I'm sure that you could just publish more of your work here for a start.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Narric

Have you considered DeviantART?

you can upload literature, either through the St.ash editor, or just copy-pasting a notepad file.

You technically need to pay to get a "Critique" but most get by with just comments.

BigToof

Hi Linn,
Apologies for the rather horrid message that you received.
I've never understood why certain individuals feel the need to send out such things that really aren't constructive and single out something that for some reason strikes such a chord with them that they need to verbally batter you.
In a way, senseless critics can be the most painful, because you spend so much time to try and figure out a logical process to their thoughts and you analyze your own work trying to find a fault that only exists from their point of view.
I would suggest to try not to let it bother you so much, and please know that many (I can speak at least for those of us here at Second Sphere), really do enjoy your work, even though we do not say it.
If you do wish to publish your work here, trust that we can at least police replies at our site.
Hope you do feel better, both physically and emotionally.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Fhanados

I second everything said here. It took me a couple of reads to actually understand this person's critique (let's not call it that, let's call it "incoherent rant") and it's a load of rubbish. I enjoy the way you've made the characters in your work seem more "human" than general 40k fiction does because they ARE human! Humans have human feelings, human thoughts, human reactions. A Commissar WOULD have authority among guardsmen, even Catachans. Just because you don't like the chain of command doesn't mean you automatically disregard the power of someone in a higher position, especially when that someone is fully capable of removing your head from existence with a bolt round because they are authorised to at their own discretion.

His first line "No just no, the Imperium is not sexist they let women be space marines who are considered the emperors angels and warriors. " only serves to demonstrate his ignorance. I also get the distinct feeling that he thinks a Commissar is just some middle-management type with a uniform with no combat experience or capability. Would you obey someone who outranks you in every way and could have your entire platoon executed for sedition for failing to obey orders? Yes, most likely you would. Would said individual have to be an absolute badass to wield that power and earn the respect/fear of the troops at his command? Yes, he would. If he/she was a simpering weakling they'd be fragged soon as they hit the battlefield and the entire Commissariat would be irrelevant!

I could rave on for a while but I'll stop here, I think I'm at risk of thought-vomiting my rage into a forum post. Reading that comment made me furious! The last thing a budding (and skilled) writer needs is ignorant dribble like that spat at them.

LinnScarlett

Thanks for all the replies <3
I know I was being a bit whiny but... ugh! *group hug*  ;D

Quote from: Thantos on June 04, 2013, 06:11:48 PM
I cant imagine you get many helpfull reviews over in the anon part of the internet, to be honest. Where people can be faceless behind a username and scream hate at something without any real backlash, its sad that its in our nature (well... the nature of a portion of the kids today) to try and feel important and superior by writing BS reviews and comments. (Youtube, tripadviser... )
Does the black library still have a forum for budding writers to post?

This guy is complaining because he thinks your writing doesnt adhere close enough to the spirit of the fluff. He also thinks there are female space marines. Because of the latter, his opinion on the former is null and invalid to the highest degree.  ::)

Get well soon!

No, indeed you don't, not any more it seems. FFNet was perfectly fine when I joined it in - what 2006? It's just been slowly down hill like so many things (e.g. most MMORPGs, especially Warcraft >_>). I don't know about this BL forum? I've been re/working Aquila to get it ready for submission, however, BL still hasn't reannounced its submission guidelines and window/s.

Nah, the guy has clearly no idea about either Catachan or Commissar canon. There is stuff in the IG codex that proves him otherwise (and even more things if you'd have read Death World, or the Cain novels, or Gaunt). I rarely write idly about things I have no clue about, I do try to follow canon as much as I can.

Quote from: Irisado on June 04, 2013, 08:23:22 PM
His reply is incoherent, and includes atrocious syntax.  Take no notice of it.  Even if you could reply to it, it would be a waste of time, as you could be spending it more productively on writing more stuff.

I haven't been on Fan Fiction for years, but if I recall correctly it was pretty clunky.  You're probably better off writing somewhere else.  I'm sure that you could just publish more of your work here for a start.

FFNet, as I am sure most of the internet, has all gone to hell. Or at least, to all these people that suddenly exist and appear to have no idea about social graces. I meet them in real life too sometimes. Bah!

Myea, this one just pissed me off because its even fuller of bull than the regular bull reviews I get. Between that and already feeling miserable, I just had to whine about it for a bit.  :derp:

Quote from: Narric on June 04, 2013, 08:27:57 PM
Have you considered DeviantART?

you can upload literature, either through the St.ash editor, or just copy-pasting a notepad file.

You technically need to pay to get a "Critique" but most get by with just comments.

I have, but the Devi community isn't such a blast either, and you can't upload everything there. I moved to AO3org (link is in my signature). It's specifically for fanworks of all varieties. I agree with their user statements and their philosophy on free publishing fanworks of all shapes and sizes. It's also a much more user friendly site than FFNet (although your milage may vary).

Quote from: BigToof on June 05, 2013, 02:55:30 AM
Hi Linn,
Apologies for the rather horrid message that you received.
I've never understood why certain individuals feel the need to send out such things that really aren't constructive and single out something that for some reason strikes such a chord with them that they need to verbally batter you.
In a way, senseless critics can be the most painful, because you spend so much time to try and figure out a logical process to their thoughts and you analyze your own work trying to find a fault that only exists from their point of view.
I would suggest to try not to let it bother you so much, and please know that many (I can speak at least for those of us here at Second Sphere), really do enjoy your work, even though we do not say it.
If you do wish to publish your work here, trust that we can at least police replies at our site.
Hope you do feel better, both physically and emotionally.

Best,
-BT

It's exactly why I do publish a lot of my W40k work here, as I know 'normal' people reside here. ;)

Beside AO3org, 2S is really the only place these days. I abandoned most other forums and sites due to gigantic heaps of dung being flung my way. It's just not worth the trouble of uploading then. But I will definitely continue to upload here! Although I write for various other universes too, so my posts here might seem intermittent because of that. :)

Speaking of which - I posted my first DIY chapter fluff, cheers! Although I think you saw that. I have another piece in the works that continues a little from this first one. Plays a bit with the Storm Hounds unknown origins.

Quote from: Fhanados on June 05, 2013, 06:25:45 AM
I second everything said here. It took me a couple of reads to actually understand this person's critique (let's not call it that, let's call it "incoherent rant") and it's a load of rubbish. I enjoy the way you've made the characters in your work seem more "human" than general 40k fiction does because they ARE human! Humans have human feelings, human thoughts, human reactions. A Commissar WOULD have authority among guardsmen, even Catachans. Just because you don't like the chain of command doesn't mean you automatically disregard the power of someone in a higher position, especially when that someone is fully capable of removing your head from existence with a bolt round because they are authorised to at their own discretion.

His first line "No just no, the Imperium is not sexist they let women be space marines who are considered the emperors angels and warriors. " only serves to demonstrate his ignorance. I also get the distinct feeling that he thinks a Commissar is just some middle-management type with a uniform with no combat experience or capability. Would you obey someone who outranks you in every way and could have your entire platoon executed for sedition for failing to obey orders? Yes, most likely you would. Would said individual have to be an absolute badass to wield that power and earn the respect/fear of the troops at his command? Yes, he would. If he/she was a simpering weakling they'd be fragged soon as they hit the battlefield and the entire Commissariat would be irrelevant!

I could rave on for a while but I'll stop here, I think I'm at risk of thought-vomiting my rage into a forum post. Reading that comment made me furious! The last thing a budding (and skilled) writer needs is ignorant dribble like that spat at them.

I am thinking he mixes up Sisters of Battle with space marines, I can't think of anyone else that would qualify (and lets not get into the discussion why SoB are nothing like Astartes at all...). I agree that he appears to have no idea what the word commissar means, beside W40k it is for me also linked to our friendly communist friends so his entire statement just makes me want to smile and say *BLAM*  ;)

I think he's just one of these kids that gets a knee-jerk douche reaction whenever a 'girl' touches his 'boy stuff'. My LGS is unfortunately full of those types. In the category of: "Oh you're a GIRL with a GIRL character, you must be trying to prove that you're just as cool/even cooler than the rest of us". Uhh, no. I have no such need, because I know I am cool and don't need to shout it off the rooftops to reaffirm my ego. ;)

They just reflect onto me/another their own insecurity issues. Of course, when you then make no noise of insecurity but simply tell them you will take their whiny asses on in a game any day (and worse: win!), you're suddenly a feminist bitch.  ::) Whatever.

I just have no time to deal with guys that are evidently too insecure to deal with me in a normal fashion. Unfortunately, this leaves me avoiding my LGS much more than I would like.  :'(

Anyway, thanks for all the comments/support. I really needed that for a bit. *more grouphug*  :)

Irisado

Quote from: LinnScarlett on June 05, 2013, 09:17:39 AM
FFNet, as I am sure most of the internet, has all gone to hell. Or at least, to all these people that suddenly exist and appear to have no idea about social graces. I meet them in real life too sometimes. Bah!

It's the difference between constructive critique, and unnecessarily rude criticism.  There's a lot of the latter floating around the internet, but I have to say that most fora are not too bad in this respect, because they're moderated.  The problem is far more widespread on blogs, and websites which allow comments, as neither tend to be moderated.

Anyway, just post your stuff here, and while you may end up with fewer reviews than you would on a larger site, you're more likely to receive more well constructed reviews here.  Quality trumps quantity.

No group hug until you're feeling better though, some of us are hypochondriacs you know :P ;).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

LinnScarlett

It's just a bit of flu, will make your immune system stronger *hugs you despite your flailing*  ;D

You're totally right, of course! I do think a lot of people here read my/our stuff, although I know some feel they don't always have something useful to say so reviews are less plentiful. On the other hand, some of you give really good comments! Which is of course why I keep uploading. :)

LinnScarlett

Quote from: LinnScarlett on June 05, 2013, 11:12:11 AM
It's just a bit of flu, will make your immune system stronger *hugs you despite your flailing*  ;D

You're totally right, of course! I do think a lot of people here read my/our stuff, although I know some feel they don't always have something useful to say so reviews are less plentiful. On the other hand, some of you give really good comments! Which is of course why I keep uploading. :)

Sorry if this counts as an unrelevant revival of an old thread but I felt I should state that 'just a bit of flu' turned out to be the baby-brother of TBC. I have been down for over a week with a lung infection and going happily crazy. I am fine again now. You will soon have more fluffy posts, and if you wonder why I am not posting just send me a message and ask! Thanks for all the support.  :-*

Irisado

Yet, you thought I was being paranoid ;)!

It has been a funny year for this sort of thing.  I've had students with pneumonia, and a colleague also had it.  You're a bit late into the year for getting that kind of stuff though, so it sounds to me as though you've been unlucky.  I'm glad to see that you're on the mend.

LinnScarlett

Apparently it's been slumbering in my lungs for several months but only now decided to kick me in the rear, likely due to the end of my thesis deadline approach (which I gloriously missed now) and the extra stress on top of already way too much stress just... well... head s'plode.  :facepalm001:

But yea, I am totally on the mend!