News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Empire: Total War - The Battle of Chesapeake

Started by Wargamer, June 11, 2013, 10:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

Orders of Battle:

The British:

1st Line:
One 86-gun 2nd Rate Ship of Line.
Eight 74-gun 3rd Rate Ships of Line.
Two 56-gun 4th Rate Ships of Line.

2nd Line:
One 86-gun 2nd Rate Ship of Line.
Seven 74-gun 3rd Rate Ships of Line.

The French:

1st Line:
One 108-gun 1st Rate Ship of Line.
Ten 74-gun 3rd Rate Ships of Line.

2nd Line:
Nine 74-gun 3rd Rate Ships of Line.

Deployment:

The British army forms into two lines - the first line to the right, the second to the left. The French formed into three groups; a line on the far left, a wedge in the centre, and short line on the right.

The Battle of Chesapeake:

The French line reordered themselves into a single fighting line, but four of the ships chose to push forward and engage the enemy fleet. Their approach added to the confusion of the British fleet, whose lines had become entangled. The Dolphin, 2nd Rate and flagship of the second line, found itself overextended as its allied ships were caught up in the snarl.

The French vanguard quickly surrenders in the face of overwhelming British firepower. However, their assault has had an impact - the second British line has dissolved and their momentum has been lost.

The first line continues to push on, hoping to cross the tee on the opposing line. Their flagship, the Temeraire, takes heavy damage on approach and its aft section catches fire. The ship closes her gun ports and pulls out of the line to repair, placing the French ships safely out of reach of the British.

The First line begins its turn, but their maneuver is poorly timed. The French line has reordered itself and now the British ships are too far out and unable to bring their guns to bear. The second line breaks into three groups - three ships push forward to hit the French rear ships, two splinter away toward the front, whilst the rest try and untangle themselves from the original clash.

Alone and unsupported, the Raleigh foolishly sails toward the French line...

...and is holed port and starboard by half a dozen French warships.

The first British line finally turns around and begins the long sail to intercept the French ships. In the meantime, the Dolphin attempts to pick off the tail end of the French fleet.

The Prince Royal and Vengeance surrender in the face of the numerically superior French fleet, leaving the Northumberland to fight on alone. Facing attacks from multiple ships, including the enemy First Rate, Northumberland soon strikes her colours.

The first line finally returns to the fight and rakes the French ships caught out of formation. However, French morale remains high in light of their victories. They go down fighting, and do not strike their colours lightly.

The Fourth-Rate ship Nymph is smashed apart by the broadsides of two much larger French ships. The crew abandon ship as her hull buckles and she begins to sink. The French line begins to encircle the lead British ships, who in turn attempt to push through and make a breakout.

Internal fires blaze out of control aboard the Nymph, igniting her powder magazine and blasting the ship apart. French and British alike are caught in the blast and peppered with burning debris. The conflagration marks the first and only confirmed kill of the battle.

For a third time the Temeraire is set on fire by French volleys. Their will to fight shattered, the last of the British ships raise white flags and surrender to the French.

Final Results - Close Defeat
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Arguleon-veq

I love empire total war, very cool idea to make batreps from it.  I think land battles would provide clearer pics though.

I like to blast enemy crew with grapeshot and then board them with superior crew. Was this against another player or the computer?
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Wargamer

Against the computer. I tried my best to make sure the fleets were as historically accurate as possible. ;)
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system