News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

CHS Super Heavy 6th ed Re-write

Started by Kur'os, July 21, 2013, 04:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kur'os

Greetings all,

With the Apoc reboot out now, I've come to realize that I need to re-write the rules for the Chapterhouse Studios Tau superheavy a bit.  I had already reworked the data sheet once for 5th ed, dubbing it the EXV-108 Man of War.  (I also need to tweak its alphanumeric as I think it's too close to the new XV-104.  Perhaps jumping it up to EXV-208 to show it as experimental AND in a class of its own?)

Here is some of the previous data sheet, skipping the unimportant bits for now:

WS   BS    S  Front  Side  Rear   I  A  Sp     750 points, Unit Type:  Super Heavy Walker
  2   3(4)  10   13     13      13   1  1  3     Unit Composition: 1 EXV-108 + 3 Advanced Shield Drones

Special Rules / Equipment:
Advanced Shield Drones - The Man of War is accompanied by 3 Advanced Shield Drones using the profile below.  They must remain within 6" of the Man of War's hull and may be targeted as separate units.  The drones are non-scoring and not factored into game objectives. 
WS  BS  S  T  W I  A  Ld  Sv          Unit Type:  Jump Infantry
  2    -    3  4  1  4  1   7  4+/X++

Satellite Shielding - The number of Advanced Shield Drones attached determines the invulnerable save granted to the Man of War, all attached Shield Drones, and friendly units within 6" of the Man of War's hull. 

Drones     Save Granted
1 - 2 . . . . 4++
3 . . . . . . .3++

A major change that I feel needs to happen is a tweak to the Inv save.  As strength D weapons now ignore Inv saves, I need to come up with cheese-free (and hopefully original) way to shield this guy.  I'd rather not cut & paste Void Shields, Power Shields, or the Eldar Holo-fields.  I would like to use the Advanced shield drones to some extent, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. 

I recall reading a thread a couple years ago about some shields that the Tau had used in a book that were stronger / more effective at stopping powerful shots, but less so against weaker shots.  At least, I think it was a reference to Tau...  >.>

Another issue is how many HP to give the Man of War.  My last write-up put it at 3 Structure Points, because I felt it should have weaker armor than a Warhound, but be more structurally sound.  Thus 3 SP to the Warhound's 2.  Now, the Warhound has 9 HP which USED to be the equivalent of 3 SP.  Should the Man of War have 12 HP?  More?

A local gaming group here is holding an APOC game next month and I plan to field the Man of War regardless, but it'd be nice to have it a bit more 'up to date'.

-Kur'os

The Man They Call Jayne

Tau Phalanx Shield

Tau shielding is unique in the way that it functions, in that it becomes stronger when hit harder. Previously only seen on Tau starships the FLNX shield array is a miniaturized version of it's space faring cousins. It is still too bulky to be carried by even the mighty Cataclysm Battlesuit, but the Man of War has no such issues.

When struck by a weapon of S8 or lower, the shield grants a 5+ save. When struck by a weapon of S9 or 10, this is increased to a 4+ and Strength D weapons grant a 3+ save.

Each time this Shield is used to generate a 3+ save, one of the Shield Emitters is removed, as the strain causes it to fail. Once all 3 Emitters are gone, you can no longer use the shield at all.

Might work. This way you aren't running around the field saying "Haha, the rules don't apply to me!" because enough hits will make the shield fail and be unusable, stripping away ALL the protection.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Kur'os

I like it.  Simple and characterful.  ^ ^

-Kur'os

The Man They Call Jayne

The only issue with it is what kind of save it is. If Invun's don't apply against SD weapons, you need something else to give you that 3+. I don't think cover works either does it? The only other option in to go 5+ at S8 or less then 4 at 9 and 3 at 10 and at D, you just have to shrug and hope they miss. Add some extra Hull Points to compensate and give it It Will Not die because it has some Earth Caste Constructor Drones that can make repairs mid battle. Give it 3 drones so 3 hull points a turn can be repaired.

Carrelio

You could skip calling it a saving throw all together (like how FNP isn't a save, it's a roll):

"The EXV-108 is equipped with prototype shielding technology previously only used for Tau spacecraft.  The shields function  by transforming a portion of the incoming attack's own energy into a counter vector at the moment of impact.  When the EXV-108 is hit by an attack, but before penetration rolls are made, roll a D6.  If the attack is S8 or less, a 5 or better will deflect it, if the attack is... etc."

The Man They Call Jayne

That could work, precedent is set by the Paradox of Duality as well so it isn't like it's an ass pull.

Kur'os

As I've never used Aun'Va or likely ever will, I had forgotten about his ability.  Reading it though, it's basically the effect I'm looking for, but I'll focus on the S of attacks vice their AP. 

Previously only seen on Tau starships the Phalanx shield array is a miniaturized version of it's space faring cousins, instantly counter-acting an attack with equal force.  Drawing such power that only the Man of War's rail cannon capacitors will suffice, the shield must be augmented and shaped by a group of drones else it will fail to form a cohesive shield.

When hit by a weapon of Strength 8 or lower, immediately roll a D6.  On a 5+ the shot and any of its effects are completely ignored.  When struck by a weapon of Strength 9 or 10, the shot is ignored on a 4+.  Strength D weapons are ignored on a 3+.  All blasts not centered over or within 3" of the Man of War's hull are negated on a 5+.  The shield does not function against shots fired from within 6" of the Man of War's hull.

Each time this Shield negates a shot on a 3+, the sudden strain overloads and destroys an attached shield drone.  Once all 3 drones removed, the shield cannot be used.

Thank you Jayne for most of the wording for that.  ^ ^

I'll be participating in a 2v2 Apocalypse battle this coming Sunday (4k points p/player), so we'll see how it fares.

-Kur'os

The Man They Call Jayne

I would be wary of the line "only the railcannon capacitors will suffice." It suggests that you can only use one or the other.

Kur'os

Well, here's the newest write-up.  Just in time for another Apoc game tomorrow...

EXV-208 Man of War

WS  BS   S    Front  Side  Rear    I   A  HP

2     4   10    13      13      13    1   1   9

750 Points
Unit Type:  Super-Heavy Walker
Unit Composition: 1 EXV-208 and 3 Advanced Shield Drones

Wargear:
- Twin-linked Heavy Railcannon
- Heavy SMS Rack
- Two Long-barrelled Heavy Burst cannons (turret)
- Tachyon Markerlight
- Five Networked Markerlights (one on each leg and chassis, sponson mounted)
- Positional Relay
- Black Sun Filter

Special Rules:
Heavy SMS Rack:  The Heavy SMS rack may be fired up to three times in a single turn, in any combination of Penetrator or Cluster missiles. 

Reactive Phalanx Shield:  Whenever the EXV-208 suffers one or more Hull Points of damage from a shooting attack, roll a D6.  If the shot was Strength 8 or lower, the Hull Point damage is ignored on a 5+.  If the shot was Strength 9 or 10, the damage is ignored on a 4+.  If the shot was Strength D, the damage is ignored on a 3+.  All damage from blasts not centered over or within 3" of the EXV-208's hull are ignored on a 5+.  The shield does not function against shot fired from within 6" of the EXV-208's hull.  Each time Hull Point damage is ignored from a Strength D shot, the sudden strain overloads and destroys an attached shield drone.  Once all three shield drones are removed, the shield cannot be used.

• Heavy Railcannon (solid shot)          12" - 180"   D     1     Primary Weapon 1
  • Heavy Railcannon (submunition)        12" - 180"   7     3     Primary Weapon 1, Apocalyptic Blast
  • Long-barrelled Heavy Burst cannon  36"           6     4     Heavy 6
  • Heavy SMS Rack
    - Penetrator                                         48"              8     3     Homing, Ignores Cover
    - Cluster                                               48"              5     5     Heavy D6+2, Homing, Ignores Cover
  • Tachyon Markerlight                         Infinite         -      -     Heavy 1, Target Acquired
  • Networked Markerlight                    36"               -      -     Heavy 1, Target Acquired

Comments and critique requested. 

-Kur'os

*edited* 
Fixed LB Heavy Burst cannons
Removed missile count on Heavy SMS, added number of shots allowed per turn

The Man They Call Jayne

Why is the Heavy SMS Rack one use only? It's Apoc, go big. Anything that is made for this scale of warfare is going to have enough ammo to last more than 1 volley.

Unusual Suspect

Depending on how complicated you want things to be, you could have the number of drones remaining be a modifier for the shield - if you have all three, add 1 to the die roll, if you have 2, roll as directed, if you have 1, you suffer a -1 to the die roll... or something similar (perhaps visa versa, if I got the die rolls mixed up).

That might be needlessly complicated, but this is Apocalypse, and the model is a massive expenditure of points.  Complicated can be OK when it is replacing multiple squads of potentially varying models.

Also, you should keep the terminology consistent if you can for the Heavy Burst Cannons.  Are they Long-Barreled?  If so, add it to the weapon rules below.  Are they merely Heavy Burst Cannons?  Then don't add the Long Barreled descriptor to the Wargear list.  If you're just playing with friends, not a big deal - it is clear enough what weapons this Superheavy has and the stats for the weapons - but it certainly looks more professional if it is internally consistent (or better yet, externally consistent with current Tau Apocalypse units/weapon stats).
I you private dancer.

Kur'os

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 17, 2013, 02:25:58 AMWhy is the Heavy SMS Rack one use only? It's Apoc, go big. Anything that is made for this scale of warfare is going to have enough ammo to last more than 1 volley.

The original data-sheet that CHS listed the SMS as 12 single shot missiles ( 6 of each ).  I hadn't really thought about changing it, but I see what you mean.  Heck, as it is, there's no details about how many can be fired in a turn.  Back to the drawing board...

Quote from: Unusual Suspect on August 17, 2013, 03:37:50 AMDepending on how complicated you want things to be, you could have the number of drones remaining be a modifier for the shield - if you have all three, add 1 to the die roll, if you have 2, roll as directed, if you have 1, you suffer a -1 to the die roll... or something similar (perhaps visa versa, if I got the die rolls mixed up).

That might be needlessly complicated, but this is Apocalypse, and the model is a massive expenditure of points.  Complicated can be OK when it is replacing multiple squads of potentially varying models.

My first incarnation of the shield system was based on the number of surviving drones.  I had removed it to streamline the data-sheet, but I did like the idea.  I'll look into reincorporating it...

Quote from: Unusual Suspect on August 17, 2013, 03:37:50 AMAlso, you should keep the terminology consistent if you can for the Heavy Burst Cannons.  Are they Long-Barreled?  If so, add it to the weapon rules below.  Are they merely Heavy Burst Cannons?  Then don't add the Long Barreled descriptor to the Wargear list.  If you're just playing with friends, not a big deal - it is clear enough what weapons this Superheavy has and the stats for the weapons - but it certainly looks more professional if it is internally consistent (or better yet, externally consistent with current Tau Apocalypse units/weapon stats).

I completely overlooked that...  >.<  Thanks.

-Kur'os