News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Farsight Enclave Discussion

Started by Kur'os, July 21, 2013, 04:27:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kur'os

Greetings everyone,

Having only a quick browse through the book on a friend's Ipad, I've been trying to figure exactly how to "qualify" as a Farsight army...   

Do I HAVE to field Farsight to field a Farsight army?  Or can I simply field a standard HQ?  Afterall, Farsight can't seriously be at every engagement that his forces are in.

-Kur'os

The Man They Call Jayne

There is not such thing as a Farsight Army now. There are no FOC restrictions on him. All he gives you are the Seven Samurai. So yeah, if you paint yourself up in the right colours, instant Farsight Enclave army.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Kur'os

I don't mean FOC restrictions like the 4th ed codex version; more along the lines of can the 'XV-8s as troops' option and/or new wargear be used without actually fielding Farsight?

The notion of an all battlesuit army is very enticing, but I've never really liked Farsight as a unit or model...   :-\    I'll happily tack some red highlights only my Cadre and support his enclaves, but I'd rather do it without "the boss" actually there.

-Kur'os

The Man They Call Jayne

There are no restrictions on wargear either, other than the Dawn Blade obviously. And Farsight cannot make XV8s Troops.

A Farsight army is identical in every way to a normal army, except it has Farsight and up to seven of his Samurai in an HQ slot.

However, the new Farsight is actually a devastating unit. Well worth taking. Him, and the unit he has joined can Deepstrike with no scatter anywhere they like that isn't impassible terrain, he has pretty good stats and an AP2 weapons with 2d6 against vehicles. And his bodyguards will automatically pass Lookout Sir! Rolls, so he will always survive.

He is no slouch at range or in CC.

Cammerz

I believe Kur'os is referring to the new digital supplement 'Farsight Enclaves', not the main Tau Codex with Farsight in charge.

I haven't read it and I don't know what it contains beyond being able to take "an entire army of battlesuits" and Commander Brightsword with two 'fusion blades' which are modified fusion blasters.

Source: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=10000120

The Man They Call Jayne

I didn't even know that existed. My bad. Sorry.

Kur'os

My apologies Jayne.  I should have been more specific about my question. 

-Kur'os

Chicop76

Some sites have the codex pretty much out in the open so to speak. I assumed you had to take him though.

I think it's a cool option to have an IC riptide. Also I wonder what I can do with an IC riptide.

The specials from the farsight book allows you to have th ability to attach an IC to any squad you need. Also you can use the IC special gear with the Tau or Oshovah gear included.

I personally would like to know if you can take two fusion blades since an IC have one.

What is alos cool you can now possibly run two purtide chips, and multi suites.

The codex also allow you to field several bs 5 models at once.

KCKitsune

OK, I read through the book and it seems that you DON'T have to take Farsight if you don't want to.  You just can't take the normal Signature systems for a Tau army.

@Chicop76:  If you take Commander Brightsword, you can't take the Fusion Blades another battlesuit as the signature systems can only be taken once per army.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

Chicop76

Quote from: KCKitsune on July 21, 2013, 09:34:21 PM
OK, I read through the book and it seems that you DON'T have to take Farsight if you don't want to.  You just can't take the normal Signature systems for a Tau army.

@Chicop76:  If you take Commander Brightsword, you can't take the Fusion Blades another battlesuit as the signature systems can only be taken once per army.

I guess 2 power weapons is better than none.

Too bad you can't have a toughness 5 +2 save with a 3+ invulnerable save. However I think 2 fusion blades, feel no pain, and a +4 invulnerable isn't too bad. Fusion Blades with the armour up grade would hd been nice.

The Man They Call Jayne

The Fusion Blades are however, breakable. And if they break, you cannot use them as guns OR blades. So you are left with nothing.

Chicop76

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 22, 2013, 02:45:58 AM
The Fusion Blades are however, breakable. And if they break, you cannot use them as guns OR blades. So you are left with nothing.

If you roll a one, and they only break in combat.

This is a nice option for challenges. This way if you decline you either have Fusion blade guy or O'Shoava still wacking back, instead of O'Shova just sitting there. For example if you are fighting a Bloodthirster you really do not want to accept that challenge in some cases.

Kur'os

Thanks for checking.  I haven't had another chance to peek at the book and won't be getting my hardback for a while yet.  >.<

-Kur'os

Carrelio

Quote from: Chicop76 on July 22, 2013, 01:27:02 AM

Too bad you can't have a toughness 5 +2 save with a 3+ invulnerable save. However I think 2 fusion blades, feel no pain, and a +4 invulnerable isn't too bad. Fusion Blades with the armour up grade would hd been nice.

I don't know about the 3+ invuln (what grants that?)... but the Farsight supplement can ally with the Tau codex... so you can take an iridium commander too.

Chicop76

Quote from: Carrelio on July 23, 2013, 10:55:06 PM
Quote from: Chicop76 on July 22, 2013, 01:27:02 AM

I don't know about the 3+ invuln (what grants that?)... but the Farsight supplement can ally with the Tau codex... so you can take an iridium commander too.

Yes and No. You can't have both on the same suit. If you take special gear you have to choose from Tau or Farsight. Since you decided to take the Fusion Blades you can't get the Iridium armour as well.

On the bright side you have a special character commander with Iridium armour which doean't hamper with you taking Fusion Blades.

If you do ally with Tau which will give you acess to both special gear, however by taking the special characters it would give you both anyway. The problem still becomes Farsight only get Farsigt special gear and Tau get Tau special gear.