?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: 2S Roleplaying games - would you like new features?  (Read 6569 times)

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
2S Roleplaying games - would you like new features?
« on: July 27, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »
Here in the depths of coding monkey enclosure we're wondering if there are any useful features 2S could provide to help our growing numbers of people playing Online Role Playing Games - this could be anything from a feature to send updates to people, online dice rolling, special pages for your RPGs or even having custom profiles when you're in a RPG thread. Please don't be limited by these ideas though!

If there are some popular and feasible ideas then we will try and implement them in the coming weeks. If there are a lot of ideas then we'll throw up a poll to let you decide which you'd prefer.

-2S Admin Team

Offline Narric

• Daemon Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart
Re: 2S Roleplaying games - would you like new features?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
How an RPG roster system, similar to the old Army Lists feature we had?

And allow for multiple charcters and or each character to be used in multiple RPs?

Just my of hand thoughts :P

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:00:45 PM »
This is because a few of us considered taking our RPs elsewhere during the downtime, isn't it? If so, sorry about that :-[. I doubt we'll ever do it really, moving a whole RP is too much effort (also I doubt I'll ever leave 2S, I'm so fond of it that I have it as my home page). Still, if it gets us new features I may threaten to leave more often ;)

Custom profiles for each RP sounds fun, although I have no idea how you would implement it. Maybe make it so that you can have multiple profiles pictures and names saved that are only shown in threads you specify? I have no idea how feasible that is.

One thing I would like is the ability to see who has seen any given post in a thread. It'd let me know whether people either haven't seen the latest update or simply haven't had anything to post. It could be based on the current system of unread posts, effectively letting us see other user's unread posts as well as our own.

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »

And allow for multiple charcters and or each character to be used in multiple RPs?
Would a roster system have a player having a single character per RPG or possibly multiple ones? Also, would they all want to link to a specific RPG? Would they also have some kind of links into the RP threads themselves? Maybe they could be integrated with the RP user profiles (names/avatars) as mentioned below.

This is because a few of us considered taking our RPs elsewhere during the downtime, isn't it? If so, sorry about that :-[. I doubt we'll ever do it really, moving a whole RP is too much effort (also I doubt I'll ever leave 2S, I'm so fond of it that I have it as my home page). Still, if it gets us new features I may threaten to leave more often ;)
It reminded me that the RPGs form quite a chunk of the 2S user experience nowadays so they should recieve some extra facilities to improve them.

Custom profiles for each RP sounds fun, although I have no idea how you would implement it. Maybe make it so that you can have multiple profiles pictures and names saved that are only shown in threads you specify? I have no idea how feasible that is.
That's the kind of idea I'm thinking of. E.g when in "Sorck's Star Trek RPG" you will see my name as "Captain Sorck" and my profile picture will show a portrait of a starfleet captain yet when in a different RPG I might be called "Assassin Sorck" and have a profile picture being one of the Assassin's Creed Assassins. Yet in the rest of the forum you'd still see me as Sorck with a tortoise.

One thing I would like is the ability to see who has seen any given post in a thread. It'd let me know whether people either haven't seen the latest update or simply haven't had anything to post. It could be based on the current system of unread posts, effectively letting us see other user's unread posts as well as our own.
That could be possible within the context of the RP board. Would youonly be concerned about viewers who were actually part of the RP?

Offline Mabbz

• Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »

Would a roster system have a player having a single character per RPG or possibly multiple ones? Also, would they all want to link to a specific RPG? Would they also have some kind of links into the RP threads themselves? Maybe they could be integrated with the RP user profiles (names/avatars) as mentioned below.
Linking this to the RP profiles would be good. How about this:

A user creates a profile with all the information required for the character. The GM for the RP could then add the profile to the roster. Only the GM and the player can alter the information once the profile has been added. You could make a cheat sheet version (doesn't show pictures or bio) of the roster appear at the top of the page like polls (automatically minimized so it wouldn't get in the way) with a link to the full version. Here's some fields for a character profile:

- Name
- Bio (replaces signature maybe?)
- Stats (only editable by the GM after the profile has been added, to prevent cheating)
- Equipment (only editable by the GM after the profile has been added, to prevent cheating)
- Picture

That could be possible within the context of the RP board. Would you only be concerned about viewers who were actually part of the RP?
That's all I'd really need, but I wouldn't mind sifting through everyone else if I had to.

Offline InsaneTD

• Insanest of all
  • Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
  • Black Wolf
    • View Profile
    • I did a thing...
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 12:33:12 AM »
 /dice_2d6 #example

Offline Railgun Convention

• Shas'La
  • Karma 2
  • Bzzzt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:50:23 AM »
In an instance where you find yourself piloting multiple characters, or where you pick up a character whose owner is out of town and needs roleplaying, it might be useful to have the ability to switch characters in the same RPG.

Or you could, you know, just write the post in the correct context, but yeah :P.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Offline The Man They Call Jayne

• Shas'O
  • Karma 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
Having an RPG profile would be pretty cool. I would definitly like to see that.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Offline Wargamer

• Novr Aestra
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 134
  • Taekar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
It could be done as easily via posts I suppose, but what about an RPG log where the host can make a "story so far" style update?
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »
/dice_2d6 #example
Something like this might be possible. The syntax would have to be slightly different though. It would likely be something like [roll=Does Wargamer hit TD?]d10[/roll] when you make the post. To prevent any cheating all rolls would be moved to the end of the post and become impossible to edit or add to - when the post was first saved it would be stripped of the roll BBCode and the forum would transform it into the unchangeable list at the end of the post.

In an instance where you find yourself piloting multiple characters, or where you pick up a character whose owner is out of town and needs roleplaying, it might be useful to have the ability to switch characters in the same RPG.

Or you could, you know, just write the post in the correct context, but yeah :P.
It might be more difficult to have one person controlling multiple characters in a thread. Well I can think of a workaround for a user to have multiple characters in a given thread but I'm not sure if they'd be able to transfer characters. I certainly cannot think of an easy way to loan characters without doing a bit of playing about with scheduled server tasks. Not impossible though.

Just outlining ideas here:
  • Create a RPG hub page
  • Have a 'create RPG' button - you can then name it and give a description. You could set character limits (numbers of people or characters in posts) and you could have it either allow people to auto join or require approval.
  • Create character button - you can create a character and give them equipment etc. If you have a character across several RPs, should they all have different equipment?
  • In an RP thread, you can only post if you are a member of it.
  • RPs authors could create a recent events summary that would be displayed on it's RP page/top of it's thread.
  • Hovering over an RP character would load a little tooltip which would include the character summary/last online/who the owner is.
  • Have dice rolling

Offline The Man They Call Jayne

• Shas'O
  • Karma 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:22 PM »
That all sounds pretty cool. Just need to find a way for RPs to get restored quickly after the inevitable crash :P
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Offline Narric

• Daemon Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:45 PM »
That all sounds pretty cool. Just need to find a way for RPs to get restored quickly after the inevitable crash :P
One idea could be that individual members keep track of their own posts, and time-stamp each new post themselves. that way, you can copy each entry in. Would be a little bit hodge podge with a lot of people though :P

Offline Sorck

• BBCode glows...
  • Administrator
  • Karma 18
  • Kernel Sorck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
Other than Narric's suggestion I have three ways to improve the situation:
daily backups of the server to Amazon S3 (£1 or £2 a month)
database sync to a Amazon EC2/RDS (£15-£25 a month)
shift 2S entirely over to Amazons servers which include database backup and restoration utilities (£30 - £100 per month depending upon how many resources we actually need - I really ought to see what we could run on)

Offline Ravager Zero

• Browncoat
  • Board Moderator
  • Karma 38
  • …let's be bad guys.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 05:52:24 AM »
I would say go for the daily back-ups at the very least.

Also, what is it with restoring the forum after a crash that eats all posts >1000 characters or so?
I mean, just look at how much is torn out of my earlier posts in E,TD.

Oh, and all other ideas in the thread are good imo.
Rav's Awesome Card Counter: +2

Quote from: Kane
…and whipped cream, a bottle of baileys, seven pairs of non-matching shoes, a combine harvester, a box of matches, and three indie rock bands drunk off their skull is technically acceptable on private property.

Offline InsaneTD

• Insanest of all
  • Shas'Vre
  • Karma 3
  • Black Wolf
    • View Profile
    • I did a thing...
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2013, 02:15:49 PM »
Might be to do with smf's stock character limit.