News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Question about gun emplacements

Started by Fhanados, March 24, 2013, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

Hi guys,

I played a few games on the weekend in preparation for the post-easter 750pt tourney I've signed myself up for. For the most part it went swimmingly, I went exceedingly well with a list I thought would be rubbish but there was one point that my main opponent (aka my nemisis/friend) and I disagreed on, which was about gun emplacements (there was confusion about Look Out Sir as well, but that was all silly business and we worked that out after some logical discussion). And so arose a few things that I need to clear up before I go to this tourney and do something stupid by accident. Note some of these may seem silly, but they were all key points of our argument.

• Can a Quadgun purchased with an ADL move? His reasoning behind it was that the Quadgun is artillery. I pointed out it was a Gun Emplacement, and followed the rules in the terrain section but he is adamant that on DakkaDakka and Warseer he has seen people treat it as artillery and therefore be able to move.
  • Does the Quadgun confer it's toughness value to the firer? Again this comes from the "Quadgun is an artillery unit" line of thought. I'm not overly familiar with artillery rules (I was too busy shouting Gun Emplacement rules at him!) but that's where it stems from.
  • Can a model firing the Quadgun hide behind it to avoid being shot at? We both agreed on "yes" due to TLOS but want to be sure.
  • Can a model fire the quadgun on the same turn it moves in to base contact with it? This one is the doozey. As per the rules for a gun emplacement, a model can fire the Quadgun's weapons in lieu of its own following the normal rules for shooting. He argued that it could not shoot at all, which makes no sense to me. By my reasoning, the Quadgun didn't move therefore the shots were fired at full BS. He didn't like that, so since we couldn't find anything to indicate it couldn't shoot at all he shifted his stance to say it can fire snap shots only, as it is a heavy weapon and the firing model moved. We rolled on it and I fired snapshots. At the time I didn't like this (blood was boiling from the argument  >:() but it was better than not being able to fire at all! Now I see more logic to this argument but I still don't think it's very clear.
  • Does LOS for firing the Quadgun get measured from the gun or the firer?
  • Would you allow someone to fire from behind a ADL even if the model was too short to see over the top of it? Bottom line is that ADLs are too high. I've found very few infantry models are tall enough to see above them. We house-ruled it so that we could shoot at/with models behind an ADL even when LOS was sketchy, but realistically I think that it's going to be a 100% LOS blocker, which kind of defeats its purpose. Thoughts?

The Man They Call Jayne

The Quadgun is an immobile emplacement as far as I know. It can't move.

I don't believe it confers toughness as the Quadgun can be targeted independantly.

I would say yes, you can, but as you are only going to hide a single model behind there it doesnt really seem worth it.

Yes you can fire it the turn you come into contact with it.

LOS is from the gun.

And yes. You can fire from behind the ADL. You get a 4+ cover save from shots coming at you from the other side of it, but your targets do not.

These are all off the top of my head though as I don't have a rule book to hand.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Fhanados

Sorry for the threadromancy but I didn't really think this warranted a new topic. Again, in relation to the ADL, or more specifically the quadgun/icarus:

• Can a Quadgun auto-fire at reduced BS if unattended? In the past few months I've seen several people leave their Quadgun all by its lonesome and auto fire away without being manned. I think this is wrong, as it's a "Gun Emplacement" and not an "Emplaced Weapon" (or something to that effect, don't have my rulebook handy) but people seem to argue that they're one and the same.  What's stopping your opponent from autofiring your quadgun in his turn if that's the case? Page numbers would be great for this, I'm having trouble arguing it.

Cammerz

The gun emplacement does not have its own Ballistic Skill (p.105) so it cannot fire by itself (see also Zero-level characteristics on p.3). You need someone in base contact with it if you want it to fire.

Also even if they did count as emplaced weapons, the rules for emplaced weapons (p.96) say that the building in which they are housed must be occupied to fire automatically so there is no argument for any weapons left alone at the far end of the field being able to fire.