News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Lady Jenna vs. Lady D'ysperax in "HOWLING BANSHEE HORDE" (1500)

Started by BigToof, August 14, 2013, 01:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

I wouldnt go for a Bastion to be honest, they arent all that hard to actually destroy.

I think Wolves have had their day to be honest, they REALLY struggle in the current meta. The only real Wolf builds ive even see do anything like half decent at the min are really drop pod heavy with lots of Jaws for dealing with Tau and it gets our pyschic defense in Eldar lines early so they cant power up things like Bike Councils and then back it up with massed Long Fangs to try and shoot down things like Wraithknights. Even that kind of build should still really come out second best against the top builds most of the time though.

Im trying to find a way to keep them working too but im struggling with it!
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on October 03, 2013, 07:53:54 PM
I wouldnt go for a Bastion to be honest, they arent all that hard to actually destroy.

I think Wolves have had their day to be honest, they REALLY struggle in the current meta. The only real Wolf builds ive even see do anything like half decent at the min are really drop pod heavy with lots of Jaws for dealing with Tau and it gets our pyschic defense in Eldar lines early so they cant power up things like Bike Councils and then back it up with massed Long Fangs to try and shoot down things like Wraithknights. Even that kind of build should still really come out second best against the top builds most of the time though.

Im trying to find a way to keep them working too but im struggling with it!

Thanks for the reply!
I too have been trying to work with the idea of Drop Pod Wolves, and it seems viable.
The only issue I have is then how many pods to deal with and how can IG help support them?
The blob seems still useful, but in the end when you are dealing with Wave Serpents, you're hemorrhaging Guardsmen at an alarming rate.
If (and that is a big if), you can keep the blob intact by dropping Wolves in their faces, it seems like a reasonable idea, but how can you have as many pods as Wave Serpents?  And well... would you want to?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

A drop pod list is a very easy way to give away first blood. In my last tournament the only battle I won was against a SW list which was too reliant on Drop pods and the Wolf Guard units within.

Perhaps it'd work better if you shifted the focus away from the Space Wolves and onto the Imperial Guard, make the Guard the primary detachment so you can cherry pick a few good SW units as allies, maybe; Harry, Erik, one unit of Grey Hunters and the Long Fangs. The Imperial Guard would obviously need one extra troop choice at least but you could also grab some other useful units, maybe tanks or aircraft, or a big mob of stealthy ogryns with a lord commissar?

Just suggestions obviously, given my tournament record I wouldn't hold my ideas in too high regard.
If it seems a bit too difficult to make this army work then perhaps you should just focus on a different one for the time being. Lorilune's perhaps?

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on October 04, 2013, 08:51:46 PM
A drop pod list is a very easy way to give away first blood. In my last tournament the only battle I won was against a SW list which was too reliant on Drop pods and the Wolf Guard units within.

Perhaps it'd work better if you shifted the focus away from the Space Wolves and onto the Imperial Guard, make the Guard the primary detachment so you can cherry pick a few good SW units as allies, maybe; Harry, Erik, one unit of Grey Hunters and the Long Fangs. The Imperial Guard would obviously need one extra troop choice at least but you could also grab some other useful units, maybe tanks or aircraft, or a big mob of stealthy ogryns with a lord commissar?

Just suggestions obviously, given my tournament record I wouldn't hold my ideas in too high regard.
If it seems a bit too difficult to make this army work then perhaps you should just focus on a different one for the time being. Lorilune's perhaps?

Oof, that's a good point about First Blood.  Didn't think about that.

You know, making IG primary would solve some points, but I'm not sure where to go if the blob isn't the way.

Are Vendettas still considered to be OP, or do you think the stigma has worn off enough for me to try one?  (I'll proxy my Dark Eldar Flyer, but maybe that'll work?)

As for another rep, funny you should say that :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3