News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

[In-dev Wargame] Trade Routes: Battleship Strategy Wargame

Started by Narric, August 20, 2013, 09:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Title is so lame. :P Will except suggestions for better XD

Been working on this for a few days, and have had a quick playtest of these rules myself. It is a turn Based Fleet combat game, that I am currently calling "Trade Routes" mostly because I can't think of anything spacier right now :P

I would like people to playtest these rules, and question everything that seems off.

All you need to play is here: https://app.box.com/s/ooecfmmakzzcnvzs0kfj

Don't forget to read the "Read Me" ;)

Thank you for reading, and hopefully your participation.

Mabbz

Haven't played it yet (if I do play it, it'll be against myself) but here's what I got from a quick read through:

1) A carrier's Shield Regen is 1. That's less than a fighter. I assume that was meant to be 10?
2) Move and max pivot should be stats, in my opinion. Something like 5/45 meaning 5cm and 45 degrees
3) I can't think of a single situation where I would use a frigate's Thor cannon instead of the defensive weapons, especially considering the "Offensive Defensive Switch" manoeuvre. A quick bit of number crunching tells me that the Thor cannon is inferior in every way.

Narric

Yes, Carrier SR is 10. Oops :P

That sounds much better ^_^

Hmm.... I had considered penalties to shields/bonuses to damage when attacking a targets' sides and/or rear. Maybe something like that would lessen the OP of that manoeuvre?

Railgun Convention

Rotating 360* is redundant - by the time you reach 180*, you can move in any direction.

Frigates probably should have less defensive weapons than a freakin' Dreadnought.

Might be worth restricting Torpedos to large targets. Stop them being used to pick off fighters, which would essentially turn them into interceptors.

I can't help but feel that bomber craft should be significantly larger than fighter craft - they are supposed to attack large ships after all.

Ramblings done.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Narric

I probably shouldn't respond to each persons posts :P Oh well, it keeps this in peoples Unread inboxs XD

Quote from: Railgun Convention on August 20, 2013, 11:43:20 PM
Rotating 360* is redundant - by the time you reach 180*, you can move in any direction.
Already adjusted on my end for the next version. Just need some actually playtest feeback.

Frigates probably should have less defensive weapons than a freakin' Dreadnought.
A fail no my part due to how I modelled the Dreadnought. I'll adjust accordingly for the next version.

Might be worth restricting Torpedos to large targets. Stop them being used to pick off fighters, which would essentially turn them into interceptors.
Excellent idea.

I can't help but feel that bomber craft should be significantly larger than fighter craft - they are supposed to attack large ships after all.
if you're referring to the "Tokens" supplied, do consider that the token only tells you want the vessel/squadron is, rather than being 100% to scale to the rest. I can understand why you'dthink the bomber would be larger, as I assume you're thinking of a large stockpile of torpedos for prolongued combat. Maybe a system could be emplaced that limits Torpedo usage, meaning Bombers need to dock and resupply?

The bomber was made from the fighter model, with a fair amount of alterations. hence why they're similar in design and size.

Mabbz

Quote from: Narric on August 22, 2013, 06:41:08 PM
Already adjusted on my end for the next version. Just need some actually playtest feeback.
Actually, 360* isn't redundant. Since you can pivot at any point in your move, you can turn 180*, move, then turn another 180* back to your starting orientation. Effectively it allows you to reverse.

Narric

Quote from: Mabbz on August 22, 2013, 07:14:06 PM
Quote from: Narric on August 22, 2013, 06:41:08 PM
Actually, 360* isn't redundant. Since you can pivot at any point in your move, you can turn 180*, move, then turn another 180* back to your starting orientation. Effectively it allows you to reverse.
OK, need to include you can only pivot once per move ¬_¬ As that was not what I wanted to be done XD

Narric

Spoiler
QuoteWarning - There has been no post in this topic for at least 120 days.
Please consider starting a new topic unless you are sure you want to reply.
Yeah, no duh, its been nearly a year!!

Bringing this back up, as I'm striking out a few overcomplicated mechanics and re-working the rules in general. For now I've taken out Shield Regen, and unit stats will get an update once I have a better set of rules. The Models themselves will most likely get complete overhaul in design as well.

That said, if anybody has ideas that they would like to put forward for this, I'm all ears ^_^

Narric

May I present the Gerab fleet, currently lounging around in my 3D modeler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

The aim has predominantly been to make each ship class unique in armament and silhuette, in the same way Team Fortress Classes are highly differentiated between their gear and silhuette.
Another design decision for this particular fleet was to have a central hull that is shared for all class variants. Sort of the skeleton of the ships.
The line up of ships that are part of this fleet are as folows, in order from left to right, starting at the back:

- Defender class
- Counter-Assault Class
- Scout Class
- Lancer Class
- Comand Class
- & Battery Class

I also already have ideas on how these class of vessels interact, as well as the backstory behin the race that controls them. Part of the racial indentifier is that they do not use any single man piloted ships. this is due to a great deal of distrust commanders have on their crews. Another aspect is that the main cannon is effectively designed to take out their own ships. when I get round to writing down the backstory of the Gerab, this should hopefully make sense.

Based on these models, I've also ended up deciding on the scale these models are at. This should also give me a good idea of the detail I should add to the models later on. Yay, detail, my most hated adversary.

Thats all for now folks, thanks for reading.

Narric