News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Your Gaming History Discussion

Started by Sorck, September 01, 2013, 09:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorck

Quote from: Firey Baps on September 01, 2013, 09:18:07 PM
One day when I was a kid I found my old wallet that somehow had 30 quid in. I was so excited that on the weekend I took the train all the way to my local GW and bought 20 Imperial Guard and a Sentinel. Buying two things in GW gives you an indicator of how long ago that was.
That is certainly a while ago... it could be 2006 I suppose at the most recent I think.

Ah the days when you could buy metal bits from Game Workshop and you could buy most troop boxes for £16.

Firey Baps

Quote from: Sorck on September 01, 2013, 09:54:42 PM

Ah the days when you could buy metal bits from Game Workshop and you could buy most troop boxes for £16.

Actually I think it may have even been earlier than that. Maybe even 2003.

You know what I really miss, the smell of that red foam they used to have for the blister packs. For some reason that was a really nice smell.

So was the smell of Scorched Brown now I think about it.
Once there was a forest. And in that forest lived some trousers... Called Dave.

Rarity Declis

Quote from: Firey Baps on September 02, 2013, 01:44:25 AM

You know what I really miss, the smell of that red foam they used to have for the blister packs. For some reason that was a really nice smell.

I miss Guy Haley's White Dwarf. They were always funny.

And when Chaos Marines came 8 in a box of £12.

Sorck

Quote from: Rarity Declis on September 02, 2013, 06:53:50 AM

I missed the days of red foam entirely. I started when there was the black foam throughout blister packs I believe. I bought my first metal miniature from the 'A' price bracket when they were £3. My first miniature was a £5 Dark Eldar Jetbike which is now in two pieces acting as an objective marker. :P

I started collecting when 3rd edition was still about but I started gaming after 4th came out. So 10 years or so of being involved in the GW hobby seems about right. :o

Rarity Declis

Quote from: Sorck on September 02, 2013, 09:20:46 AM
Quote from: Rarity Declis on September 02, 2013, 06:53:50 AM

I missed the days of red foam entirely. I started when there was the black foam throughout blister packs I believe. I bought my first metal miniature from the 'A' price bracket when they were £3. My first miniature was a £5 Dark Eldar Jetbike which is now in two pieces acting as an objective marker. :P

I started collecting when 3rd edition was still about but I started gaming after 4th came out. So 10 years or so of being involved in the GW hobby seems about right. :o

Sorck, we started gaming at the same time. I started when the 300th issue of White Dwarf came out.

Sorck

Hmm... 300th... I remember a White Dwarf party at some point... don't quite remember when...

My White Drawf collection only goes back about 5 years as I never really thought it was worth buying frequently (read: I had no money beforehand)

InsaneTD

I started 40k when 4th came out so you are both in the hobby longer then me. But not by much. :P

salamut2202

The Allfather

I started right after 3rd came out. Been almost 14 years now.

Sorck

I started at age 7. Do I win any youngest starting contests? :P

InsaneTD

Firey Baps

I was also in at age 7 or so, my first buy was a box set which had 4 High Elf Archers and 4 High Elf Spearmen and a blister pack White Lions of Chrace command group. I didn't get 40k for a while after that, I believe my brother and I got the edition box set which was Black Templars against Dark Eldar, was that 3rd? . I think looking back my favourite WD editor was still Fat Bloke. (Who ate all the pies?) That was back when GW was a lot more fun.

I didn't really bother much with 40k until maybe a year or so before the Fall of Medusa campaign, that's when I started going on fan based forums and the like.
Once there was a forest. And in that forest lived some trousers... Called Dave.

Rarity Declis

I started in 2005. So... about 8 years, give or take?

I know I've seen Tyranids updated twice, I've seen Tau updated twice, Blood Angels updated twice, Space Marines updated twice, Chaos Marines updated twice, Deamons created and updated, I've seen editions 3-6, and Black Templars given a Codex, and taken away. I saw Rules Supplements leave, and return.

I've watched the prices increase, then suddenly half the price and half the men inside, and now seen half the men cost as much as all the men before. I've seen the games go from maybe 40 men on the table to easily over 100. I remember when a Land Raider was a special thing on the table, not the normal transport. I've seen three iterations of paint pots.

I feel like Fateweaver; I see the past, I see the future, I am infinitely old.

Sorck

Quote from: Rarity Declis on September 02, 2013, 09:26:41 PM
I've watched the prices increase, then suddenly half the price and half the men inside, and now seen half the men cost as much as all the men before. I've seen the games go from maybe 40 men on the table to easily over 100. I remember when a Land Raider was a special thing on the table, not the normal transport. I've seen three iterations of paint pots.
Or in the case of Dire Avengers, just halving the content whilst keeping the price.

I should be having a game with 500 miniatures or so soon... not sure where I'll play it though. :P

Narric

I started collecting White Dwarf from Issue 327 i think, but I started collecting Warhammer from when Cities of Death came out.

So i have been a wargamer for nearly half my life, going on more than half :P