News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Caldur Hawkeye - Captain of the Midnight Corsairs 10th Company

Started by Narric, September 30, 2013, 08:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

My entry to the recent Create a Character Contest. Posting it up for better discussion :)

Caldur Hawkeye                               180Pts
Calgur is a HQ choice for any Space Marine army (Excluding Grey Knights)
Cladur Hawkeye is a merciless hunter on the Battlefield. With ease, he can pick out the best targets in a horde.
In the Purging of Rendo, his birth planet, he assassinated the corrupt planetary governor from the opposite side of the Capitol city. This earned him a great amount of distinguishment among the Scout Company.

WSBSSTWIALdSvCompositionUnit Type
Caldur
3+
Infantry (Character, Unique)

Wargear:

• Frag & Krak Grenades
  • Thermal Recon Armour
    A much lighter variant of Power Armour, combined with an optical camouflage cloak. Caldur has a 3+ Armour Save, and gains +2 to all cover saves (5+ Cover in Open-ground).
  • "Negotiator" Rifle
    The "Negotiator" is Caldurs weapon of choice when taking to the battlefield. He knows its weight perfectly, meaning he can fine-tune his positioning for deadlier accuracy. It has the following profile:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    48"
    Heavy 1, Pinning, Armourbane
  • Power Dagger
    A small combat blade that Caldur has used in many close quarters fights. A field generator was added for increased lethality. It has the following profile:
    RangeStrengthAPType
    -
    User
    Melee, Shred
Special Rules:

• Independant Character
  • And They Shall Know No Fear
  • Combat Tactics
  • Night Vision
  • Preferred Enemy (Characters)
  • Chapter Tactics (Midnight Corsairs)
    Any Marine in the Primary Detachment which contains Cladur Hawkeye, firing a single shot weapon gains the Special Rule: Preferred Enemy (Characters). This may not be used on any kind of Heavy Weapon.
    Midnight Corsair Characters gain Preferred Enemy (Characters) for all shooting and melee attacks.

Enemy Characters must re-roll successful armour saves caused by Midnight Corsair Pistol-type and Sniper-type weapons.
    Midnight Corsair Characters gain Preferred Enemy (Characters).

I do have a couple of points that were brought up in the contest, so I'll try and answer them first:
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on September 23, 2013, 01:46:43 AM
5, How, after being describes as "much lighter" than normal Power Armour does this still have a 3+ save? With the +2 to cover on top thats pretty brutal. Why not base it on scout armour?
This is mostly due to appearence. The model is essentially wearing Power armour, minus the bulky shoulder pads.

Quote from: Mabbz on September 23, 2013, 08:35:28 AM
E: How would preferred enemy (characters) work? would you re-roll to hit against any unit with character in it? I think this could work better with a simple bonus to precision shots (precision shot on a 5+ rather than 6 to hit, perhaps).
Kind of a derp entry for the character. I wanted something to make them more deadly to enemy characters, and I could see a way to give rank & file marines the ability of Prescision Shot. Its a character only ability, right?

Also its to make sure that any character foolish or unlucky enopugh to be out by his lonesome, is going to die.

With MC Characters, its slightly easier, as they'll get most use out of it in combat.

This is mostly based on the idea of targeting enemy leaders to weaken the resolve of the enemy forces. We hear a lot of it being used by arines, but its rarely portrayed in-game.

[edit] Change to Chapter Tactics.

Mabbz

I can see the reasoning behind it, but the problem is that the rule grants re-rolls to hit against any unit with a character in it, regardless of whether the character is actually the one that gets hit (unless I'm reading it wrong). I can't think of a good way to deal with it though.

Narric

Hmmm.....

How about making enemy character re-roll armour saves against Pistol and Sniper shots?

Mabbz

Sounds good to me. I think having it as well as some kind of bonus to precision shot would work without being over powered, and make it more useful. I should also point out that having it only work on pistol and sniper shots means it wouldn't help Caldur himself.

Narric

Caldur already has Prefferred Enemy (Characters), which I'll think I'll leave, same for it being a default for all MC Characters.

I'll change the army wide part to my previous post :)