News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Kill Team Narrative Report - Chaos vs Imperial Guard

Started by Narric, October 16, 2013, 07:45:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Played a game against Mabbz, using his Revamping Kill Team rules. Can't be asked waiting until after work to link this from my blog, not that anyone from here reads it. :P

I was playing a Chaos Marine Kill Team of Chosen, against his Defence Force Guardsmen.

Here are our very minimal lists:

Chosen Kill Team (160pts):
- Champion Kranz - Pair of Lightning Claws
- Markus - Single Lightning Claw
- Vulture - Single Lightning Claw
- Rock - Meltagun
- Ocule - Boltgun

Defence Guard (250pts):
Company Command squad with Carapace Armour = 70pts
Veteran squad with Carapace Armour and 2x Plasma Guns..........130 pts
5x Ratlings = 50pts

I'm going to try and write this as a narrative. I could do with some creative writing practice.

It was a brisk morning at the Ios Cargo Relay Station. Three trucks had arrived, and their crews had occupied the relay station. Commander Nariel issued the daily orders. Ratlings Boris, Hugar and Drog, were to take position in the south, east and northern outer watchtowers, whilst Drog took position on the buildings' roof. Kevin drew the short straw, and had to squat out in the northern ruins. Sergeant Balza took three of his Veterans to patrol the Cargo trucks, whilst the Plasma Gunners took opposite positions and patroled the ring of walls. The Commander kept his trusted veterans at his side.

Creeping from the north, south and east, Kranz's team stalked into kill zone. Their mission was to cripple the ventilation systems of the local war-bunker. Unknown to the guardsmen, this was most exposed at the grate in the middle of the defence walls. Vulture closed in on the northern ruins, whilst Markus, Rock and Ocule approached from the south. Kranz carefully approached the Cargo trucks, making sure to stay out of view from the patroling guardsmen.

Kevin was in a glum mood. He'd lost a good amount of his Beef Brew and Battenberg rations in a game of poker last night. He lamented trying to bluff against Boris. He shuffled along a broken wall, and caught glimpse of something moving. Quickly alert, he moved closer. To his shock, a Chaos-warped Space Marine was creeping through the ruins. The heretic had not yet spotted him, and he was feeling lucky. Hefting his rifle to his shoulder he took aim. To his dismay, a breeze of icy air stroked his neck, sending him into shivers, and making him miss his target.

Vulture was less than impressed. Fixing his burning gaze upon the abhuman, he changed his route. The rubble shifted underneath him, making him pause. Deciding against dicing the fleshling, he lefted his bolt pistol, and fired. As Kevins' chest caved in, he cursed his poor luck. His beef brew container fell open, and spilled onto the cold stone. Champion Kranz was in much greater fortune. He had creeped right up against the cargo trucks, and to his amusement, the veterans had started playing some cards between two of the trucks. Kranz laugh internally at the complacency of these sentries. Tensing up, he jumped around the truck, and into the unprepared guardsmen, howling a challenge at the apparent sergeant. Balza was thrown completely off gaurd, and was the first to be sliced to pieces by Kranz's Lightning Claws. The other Veterans faired no better, their carapace armour and fatigues decorating the sides of the cargo trucks. Markus had snuck under the nose of the south watchtower ratling. He primed and de-pinned a krak grenade, and threw it high into the heavens. Boris absentmindedly strentched his arms, throwing them back and forth quickly to stretch. As his arms swung back, he swatted the grenade in midair, sending it flying away from the relay station. It exploded with a mighty bang. Ocule and Rock decided to pair up, and sneak around the southeastern wall out of view of the east watchtower. Sneaking seemed too much of a task for them, and they spent most of their time shuffling their feat without being seen.

The Plasma Gunner teams continued their patrols. With the sudden amount of gunfire, both took agency and headed towards the closest occurence. Boris waddled up to the Watchtower wall, and took aim at the corrupt marine. Much like Kevin, a strange wind caused Boris to miss his target. He cursed his choice to cut his sleeves of his fatigues. He wanted to look cool, not be cold.

Vulture unclasped a Grenade, and through it at Drog in the Watchtower. Drog nearly choked on his mouthful of battenberg, but quickly managed duck from the grenade. it fell through a hole, and exploded non-threateningly at the bottom of the tower. Rock got to the bottom of the outer eastern watchtower, and threw a grenade. This time it wedge itself in the canopy of the tower, giving Hugar mear seconds to cover from the explosion. as the smoke cleared in the midday wind, Hugar pushed dust and scrap metal off himself. Markus cursed Tzeentch, and threw a second Grenade at the Ratling of the south tower. This managed to land squarely in Boris' battenberg packet. In a fit of fear, Boris picked up the grenade and tried to chuck it off the side of the tower. It detonated moments after leaving his hand, shrapnel lashing at his face. To his luck, he had ducked down fast enough to not be hurt more severely. Kranz stalked forward, nearing the central circle of the relay station. Ocule ran towards the Plasma equiped veterans, hoping to strike fear enough for them to flee.

At this point, Commander Nariel knew something was amiss, and quickly ordered all units to actively search for intruders, his personal veterans readied their weapons in ernest. Drog was not about to be bullied by some heretic twice his size, and took aim at the chaos marine. The shot hit true, but only chipped off a small amount of boney armour. Vulture hissed at the poor marksmanship being displayed by these subhumans. Boris recovered himself, wiping the blood from his face. Taking aim at the marine again, he fired. In cruel fortune, his lost his footing as he fired, sending the bullet flying into the wide blue yonder. Boris cursed the watchtower to be melted down to food containers. Hagur, dusted himself off and took aim at Rock. he struck the marine proper, but the bullet had become lodged in a thick segment of plasteel. The south Plasma team was unimpressed by the Chaos Marines screeches of murder, and took aim. The plasma bolt struck Ocule perfectly in the chest, knocking him down. The Veterans began pating themselves on the back for taking out a Chaos marine single handedly, but their celebration was cut short. Foul energies began to crackle and arc around Ocules' body. The Marines' armour screamed with the wailes of the damned, and unnatuural light filled the helmets optics. The guardsman tried to open fire again, but their lasguns proved ineffective, and the Plasma gun had to power up to shoot again. Commander Nariel spotted Rock next to the eastern watchtower, calling his guardsmen to fire. these guardsmen knew the best way to handle a Lasgun, and their volley easily puncture the chaos marines' armour. Rock slumped to the ground, his Meltagun falling from his hands. The second Plasma team to the north had caught sight of Kranz, and had opened fire. Kranz tried to duck behind the wall corner, but fate was not on his side, as the plasma bolt ripped into his gut. Warp-fuelled life left the corrupt marines body.

Seeing his Kill Master gunned down, Vulture stormed forward towards the guardsmen, shooting wildly in their direction. He continued charging, throwing his body into the squad. He made short work of the veterans, making sure to destroy the plasma gun itself once he was done. The Warp-zombified Ocule continued towards the Guardsmen that had tried to shoot him, as Markus joined his side. They both tried to shot the guardsmen, but cuased no real damage. Ocule and Markus charged into the Guardsmen. Markus was gunned down by the Plasma gun, which had only just recharged. Ocule continued, and smashed a guardsmen into the ground. In a vain attempt, one guardsmen managed to knife the Marine, but the wound was ignored. It was a few moments after that Ocule fell, seemingly because the warp energies that sustained him had disipated. His armour fell silent and dark, and his body slumped to the ground at the guardsmens feat.

Commander Nariel rounded his men on the Chaos Marine. As the veterans leveled their Lasguns, Vulture snarled and hissed. With a mighty shout, Nariel called:
"FIRST RANK! FIRE! SECOND RANK! FIRE!"
With a brutal volley of lasgun fire, Vulture was nearly knocked to his knees. He continued to snarl and hiss, until a lasgun shot clipped his temple, disrupting his balance. This was quickly followed by two more, which struck the marine squarely in the chest. Vulture fell back, a final hiss leaving his lips.

Nariel called his men to attention, giving orders to check all teams were accounted for. As they spread out through the compound, he walked slowly to the fallen marine activating his Power Sword. With a quick swip, he severed the marines head from his body, making full ensurance that the marine wouldn't be possessed by a Chaos Daemon. He deactivated and sheathed his blade, and whispered a silent prayer to the Emperor.

He had a feeling reinforcements would be required.

This was an increadibly fun game for me and Mabbz, and we left it with plenty of ideas to improve the Kill Team rules, and for me, ideas to improve my Kill Team.

Hope you enjoyed reading this. If you have critique, I'd be more then welcome of it.

Thats all folks, thanks for reading.

Narric

Mabbz

[shameless self promotion]It really was a good game, and I reccommend that everyone try the rules for themselves.[/shameless self promotion]

My ratlings decided to punish me for never using them before now; mostly they missed, and the few that hit always failed to wound. By contrast, the veterans once again convinced me that Bs4 guardsmen are worth taking. The firing squad execution of Vulture at the end? thirteen shots, one miss. I like to think Nariel fired his pistol into the air as a signal to start firing, hence he "missed".

Ratlings aside, I managed a lot of lucky rolls this game. Virtually every time someone shot I got a Klaxon counter out of it. The marines on the other hand had pathetic aim, virtually never hitting anything after the first ratling's death.

I won't go over the rules changes we came up with, since we have a thread for that. Tactics though, I learnt three things:
1) Numbers are very useful in kill team. Anyone can be overwhelmed, and more sentries means it's harder to stay undetected.
2) I hate ratlings. They hate me.
3) Carapace armour isn't that useful in Kill Team, since guardsmen tend to be charged rather than shot. I normally take it to make bolter's less effective, but in Kill Team you really don't want to shoot a sentry squad unless you're confident of killing them all.

We're planning another game soon, with my guardsmen as the Kill Team. Hopefully that will be as entertaining as this game was :).

BigToof

Very neat game!
Kudos to you both and it was a great read!

I'd like to see a turn by turn breakdown or maybe some more details on how the new rules influenced things, but this was great!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Karma'd!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3