News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Escalation: You got some Apocalypse in my 40k!

Started by BigToof, December 07, 2013, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you be allowing Escalation in your group?

No, absolutely not.
6 (33.3%)
Yes, why not?
4 (22.2%)
Only on special occasions.
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Chicop76

Ummm you serious. I think I won't play for a while if a weapon like that pretty much instakills any thing I use.

Irisado

No need to not play for a while.  Assuming you have friends who don't like Escalation either, there's no need for you to use it at all.  It's not compulsory.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

CoffeeGrunt

You pay a premium for D weapons in Escalation, though. Sure, the Revenant has two D weapons with two blasts each, so it'll easily erase two targets a turn, but it also costs 900 points and is only AV12. There's many ways to bring it down.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Unusual Suspect

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on December 31, 2013, 09:30:33 AM
You pay a premium for D weapons in Escalation, though. Sure, the Revenant has two D weapons with two blasts each, so it'll easily erase two targets a turn, but it also costs 900 points and is only AV12. There's many ways to bring it down.

It also has (except perhaps first turn or immobilized) a 4+ "Nope, this ain't even a save, but NOPE" roll, at worst a 5+ roll, not including cover.

And then there's that 36" movement...

I'm not saying it is unbalanced, but I don't see it as a particularly pleasant thing for an all-comer army to face.

I plan on bringing an escalation army list if people decide they want to use Super Heavies (Including a Super Heavy of my own, when I'm done building it), but I don't think I'll be using them in my "normal" games.

I must say I do really hope the meta of Escalation, at least, tones down the appearances of the more egregious deathstar units (Damnable Screamerstar... where's your rerollable 2+ Invulnerable saves now, huh!?!)
I you private dancer.

CoffeeGrunt

Y'see, I've never faced a Screamerstar because I don't go to tournaments. We're going to be having an Escalation Tournament at my local soon, though, and I think I'll just take a heavy Anti-Tank list with a shedload of other shooty-shoots.

Waaaghpower

The biggest problem I see is that certain armies STILL don't get access to the D. Orks, Tyranids, and Chaos come to mind. (Some do have a D in close combat, but that's not the same.) This puts them far behind in escalation games.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

CoffeeGrunt

Those armies are able to field redunkulous amounts of Fearless cannon fodder, though, and therefore don't have any issues tying down something big and weathering the fire getting there.

To a Hormagaunt, a D blast is the same as a Whirlwind blast.

Unusual Suspect

Chaos arguably should not be on that list anyway, as I'm 99% sure that Chaos Warhound Titans are on the Forgeworld list of acceptable Lord of War units.  Warhound Titans, Chaos or Imperium, have access to D class weapons (on par with a Revenant Titan for less points, even).
I you private dancer.

CoffeeGrunt

Tau have to go to Forge World for their D Weapon, and even then it's a single shot, not a Blast.

Kur'os

Though I will admit that I was absolutely against Escalation at first, I have since changed my standpoint after seeing Stronghold Assault.

I see the two as a matching pair and should be treated as such. 

Army doesn't have access to D weapons?  Take void shield generators.  With the amount of shields ANY army can take, you can easily neuter a Lord of War. 

-Kur'os

Waaaghpower

As an Ork player, I'm still wondering how we're supposed to deal with most super-heavies. We have no heavy-hitting anti-tank outside of close combat or ramming with a Deff Rolla, and nothing that can get to a target quickly. Void Shield Generators can help mitigate the damage somewhat, but we still have absolutely nothing that can actually kill a titan. The closest tactic I've thought of is using Zagstruk and 20 Stormboyz to lock it in combat for a turn or two, but that only works for a little while and then you're still left with no options for killing the thing.

CoffeeGrunt

Await a new Codex. That's all I can offer you, Greenskin. :P

That or Deffguns. Against Thunderhawks and Revenants, Deffguns. Those are the D3 Autocannon ones, right?

Yeah, use those and glance the buggers to death.

Unusual Suspect

I'm also fairly sure all Lords of War you'd possibly see in a <2000 point game also have an AV of 12 or lower on their back arc.  Do Orks have a decent way of Deepstriking (or otherwise depositing) high-strength high-quantity shots roughly where they are wanted?  Rokkits, maybe?

Otherwise, I'm with CoffeeGrunt.  Get a new codex.  :-X
I you private dancer.

Waaaghpower

We have 2 Deep Striking *units*, and one of them is our psyker on a roll of 5.

Irisado

How often do you think that you're going to face superheavies, titans or other similar units?  When I first saw the news I was horrified, but the more I thought about the more I came to realise that it won't affect me.  My friends don't use superheavies or titans, and they're so expensive to buy, that I really don't think that this is going to represent a sea change in how the game is played.

As a result, I think that fears about having to totally change armies, army composition, or codices are likely to be misplaced.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente