News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Hobbit/LOTR

Started by silverfuge, December 10, 2013, 05:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfuge

Please dont tell me I'm the only player on here. Just recently played a 400 point tournament down at my local GW to get people interested both in store at at my club and I was surprised at the variance in the armies and the scenerios. Luckily I won which I was shocked at, shame the GW manager never got me my certificate.
Gm is God

Narric

I've tried a couple games of the intro box. Unfortunately, the turn mechanics being so different through me off, so I wasn't all that keen on it. ^_^;;

I actually had a little bit of interest when I first started collecting White Dwarf, when the Ruin of Arnor was released. I like the look of the models, bet never got round to buying any.

If I ever get into a gaming group again, I may consider it.

silverfuge

The intro box really weird cause its got all the cheese in it. Almost like dark vengence having a flyer and a dreadknight in it. The scenerios are also unbalanced towards an evil win. I have been told this is because the lotr intro was too unbalanced towards a good win. The game is simple and no major game breaking stuff so you need to rely on tatics and ensuring you move your men in the correct order.
Gm is God

Narric

Sounds like I should play one of the scourcebooks for a real taste of the LOTR game :P

I don't think I'll buy into WOTR though. I'll keep my Warhammer away from my LOTR :P

Mabbz

I haven't use my dwarves for a long time, so I'm don't know if or how it's changed with the release of the hobbit. This is mostly because 1) nobody else at my GW plays LotR, and 2) when I used to have games, they were small scale and people kept taking shooty armies that could just run rings around my slow dwarves with shooting them to death (except on those amusing occasions that I used my siege ballista).

To be honest, most of my games ended in one of two ways. Either my dwarves would be shot to pieces, or I would wind up with 3-5 dwarf heroes utterly surrounded in melee, at which point it became an excercise in rolling dice. I'm going to point out that old rules Balin with Durin's axe and Dain Ironfoot were fantastic at destroying entire armies in this way. What's that quote? "We're outnumbered, and surround by enemies on every side. Excellent, we've got them right where we want them!"

Arguleon-veq

I love the models but I just have no idea where to start with it.

Is 'The Hobbit' a different game to the rules you got with the Mines of Moria? what about the next two releases they did after that? or the War of the Ring?
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Mabbz

I think the hobbit is just a supplement to the normal LotR stuff. War of the Ring is a separate system though, which I never really got into and neither did anyone else in my area. I have the rules for WotR, but it seems pretty meh.

One thing I like is that it's really cheap to get into. All you really need is the main rulebook, as I believe it has the rules for most of the models in it. As for the models, I have a 500 point dwarf list with only ten models (half are heroes), and 500 point is roughly the equivalent of a 1500 point list in 40k in my experience. I don't think I ever played larger points limits than that.

Archon Sharrek

I think it's worth noting that all the LoTR sourcebook errata now tells you to refer to the Hobbit rulebook, as opposed to the One Rulebook. I lost all love for War of the Ring when I took a bazillion archers with Haldir and Stormsingers (is that them? The elf wizard blokes.) and annihilated a bunch of Knights of Dol Amroth in 2 rounds. But the skirmish game remains awesome. I played a 250 point game yesterday as it happens. My Isengard were smashed by some dwarfs (curse you Grim Hammers and Thorin Brokenshield) over 3 horrific rounds (my shaman didn't save anyone, and my captain was cut down in a Heroic Combat with Thorin...).
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

silverfuge

To clarify The hobbit us now the main rule book however except the removal of volley fire, inclusion of monster actions and different blade rules all pretty much the same. I find it a little hit and miss with local stores as to how much support they offer. The new minis are great(someone obviously playing assassins creed when they made legolas lol).
Gm is God