News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Going to the Dark Side...

Started by Waaaghpower, December 10, 2013, 10:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

Looking for advice on whether or not to troll my hobby store. As I've mentioned before, you get bonuses in the escalation league if you buy things from the store. For the next two weeks, the bonus is a free fortification. I'm seriously considering taking a fully decked out Imperial Bastion just to emphasize how broken and easily exploitable his rules are.
Should I? (Frankly, I'll probably win all my games anyways, the competition is feeble at best...)
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Mabbz

Nah, don't encourage them. Keep owning all the cheese they throw at you and show them that the idea is stupid.

... actually, what if they are adding these bonuses just so people can stand a chance against you? If that were the case, taking advantage of the bonus might make them realise it's useless  :P

Waaaghpower

The problem is, a couple people won't even play me in the league because they know they'll lose... I convinced one person to play me, but only under the conditions that he knows my list almost a week in advance, and that I wwouldn't take Long Fangs. Trouncing my opposition with normal play is getting boring for all parties. But if past precedence is any meter, giving my opponents more points or models won't do a wolfing thing to help them.
And then there are the genuinely good players who aren't part of the league because you pretty much have to show up every Saturday to stand a chance.

Arguleon-veq

I wouldnt even bother with it if you know you will win. Just arrange to play against the better guys.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Mabbz

Try playing against two opponents at instead of one. Surely being outnumbered two to one would make a difference.

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Mabbz on December 10, 2013, 11:51:17 PM
Try playing against two opponents at instead of one. Surely being outnumbered two to one would make a difference.
Do they get a point advantage over me? 2 Full sized armies against 1? Or do you mean just two players operating on the same side with two half sized armies?

Mabbz

Two full sized armies versus your one. Otherwise you'd be giving them a disadvantage, not you.

Waaaghpower

Hmm. I'll try that. What point value do you recommend?

Mabbz

Probably 1000 for each player. Any bigger and the game might take too long, while smaller values aren't as fun IMO.

Waaaghpower

Planned and will ne executed on Saturday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

BigToof

Wait...

Do you mean that the store owners will GIVE you the fortification (like you can take a new sealed box home) or that you can just take one as bonus points.

I highly suspect the latter, otherwise, I might plan a trip to your store...  :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Waaaghpower

You get it in your game without spending points. If it were free... I'd have like fifty bastions right now, and sell 'em all on Ebay.

Waaaghpower

Whelp. I won, easily. We did 2500 points per side (or 2500 vs 5000), I lost maybe 800 points of models and killed most of their army.
Blegh.

Mabbz

... What. :facepalm001:

Ok, new plan. They get 2500 points each, you get 37 points and a small pile of flour.

Seriously though, how is that even possible? Were they just utterly terrible or something?

Waaaghpower

They were pretty much horrible. Really, really horrible.
They took 2 Daemon Princess, a Great Unclean One, Lord of Change, 5 Rhinos (3 with Plague Marines inside, 2 with Thousand Suns,) some deep strikey-rending-claw guys, and 2 squads of obliterators. And... some other stuff? Trivial stuff. I think 20 Plague Bearers.
No Helldrakes.

I brought Njal Stormcaller, 3 Rune Priests, Long Fangs with missile launchers, Long Fangs with plasma cannons, a Firestorm Redoubt, an aegis line, 20 body shields, Wolf Guard in drop pods with combi-plasmas to suicide bomb, 2 squads of 10 Grey Hunters with meltaguns to function as distraction battalions.

They. Held. Everything. Back. And. Slowly. Walked. Forward.
Seriously.
Flipping. Seriously.

Only the jump pack dudes deep struck, and that was closer to his side of the board. Nobody ever got within bolter range of my main fortress. My 3 Drop Pod squads distracted him perfectly, giving me three full turns to blast the crap out of his army with pretty much no casualties to my main force. They surrendered on turn 4 with less points left on the board than me, and in no position to even scratch my main force. (It was coming on my turn again.)
It was glorious, awful, bloody slaughter.