News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Von'Ta Cadre: Project Log

Started by CoffeeGrunt, December 17, 2013, 02:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

Looking good ;D Like the basework on the leader!

If you are after diversity, you can get some female heads, bodies n arms suitable for them here ;) (If you'll excuse the self promotion)
http://www.zealotminiatures.co.uk/shop.php#!/~/product/category=6272033&id=26884500

Masked Thespian

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 24, 2014, 03:19:34 PM
@Thespian

Sorry for the bump, just was looking for some feedback as I never got any on ATT either. Was worried I'd painted up some atrocities!

It's cool.  I completely understand; a total lack of responses makes your mind worry about every single thing that you could have done wrong, even though people might have a million reasons why they didn't comment that have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of your work.

The Pathfinders look quite nice.  I'll echo Thantos's like of the leader's base; did you have any ideas what you were going to do for the bases of the rest of the squad?
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

CoffeeGrunt

Currently I use sand, and paint it a sort of poisoned black, to show it like a polluted Forge World.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

CoffeeGrunt

I've been holding back on painting my Riptide for the last six/seven months since I bought him, as I never felt I could do it justice. After working on Vorcah, I figured I'd improved enough to start slowly painting him up.

Still very much a WIP as you can see, but I felt like sharing him as he's been a joy to paint! Can't wait to have him trooping the colours with my army!

Osiris

The models and painting look great!

I am kind of curious how the armour would look if it was slightly glossy? Have you tried it before? If not, then no need, but I am rather curious as to how it would make the Tau armour look. haha
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

CoffeeGrunt

XV-104 Riptide

Finally finished painting and basing him. (Not too crazy about how the base turned out, sadly.) I am very proud of how he turned out, and he really seems a like more imposing now that the paint fleshes out his detail.

I would love any and all opinions and critiques on this.

The Allfather

That is great! I love how subdued the colors are, with the little pops of metallic details. Definitely gives it a more industrial, "working class" feel, if you catch what I'm trying to say :P

My only real critique is there are a couple spots that you can see the line where pieces come together on the gun, and it could do with some shading, or just a light wash to bring out more details. Also, the base is kind of... bland. I'd give that crushed sentinel some more attention to make it stand out.

CoffeeGrunt

Just a quick update for anyone still watching this thread. Managed to grab a bunch of second-hand models from someone at the LGS, including 3 Piranhas, 12 Kroot, and 3 Sniper Drones. All at a decent price, but while they were mostly well-painted, I felt I had to put my own bush to them.

I tried using "Dettol" at first, a powerful cleaner used for damn-near everything here, which was both messy and mostly ineffective. It's a potent cleaner, but it turned all the paint into a denatured black tar which was horrific to clean and gelled to the models pretty hard. I then tried out Acetone-free nail varnish remover - the Acetone-free is important! It literally strips stuff in a matter of an hour, only needing a fairly soft scrub with a paint brush to coax the undercoating off the models. Chaos Black spray seems to be left on, which may be handy or not, but it literally cleans them up like new.

So without further ado, I started on the Kroot for something a bit different to the usual Tau look I go for. (Regimented, utilitarian.) I wanted pale Kroot as I imagined their feasting on Guard to have had a paling effect on their kindred. The skin is a shade between Pallid Wych and Kislev Flesh, while spines and beaks are Screaming Skull, with swashes thrown over them. I'm aiming to make this paintjob quick and easy to mass-produce, as I just bought another 20 of them!

Any tips greatly appreciated, as there's eight others who have just received their base coats! I have to say, I didn't love the Kroot design at first, but they've got really badass guns, and they've really performed well in some games of mine recently.

Narric

Mr Muscle Glass Cleaner and an old toothbrush is what I used for de-painting models. I find Nail Varnish Remover also weakens the joints, especially in places like Space Marine Arm-torso joints. For the really small places, a Needle works well to kind of pick the squishy paint out.

Kroot look good, thought a bit flat. could be the pictures though.

Looking forward to see all them Kroot Piranhas and Sniper Drones ^_^
What weapon did the Piranhas come with?

CoffeeGrunt

The piranhas came with Burst Cannons, which is workable. We hardly play WYSIWYG here, anyway. I haven't drybrushed or detailed these guys yet, so hopefully they'll pop more afterwards. They are meant to be a horde of sort, though!

CoffeeGrunt

Having just finished watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I'm tempted to make a Gunmen army where the occupants are powered by "Fighting Spirit." I'd throw some fluff on about experimental Psyker power supplies and make the Nova Charge simply the, "Who Do You Think We Are?!" test.

Maybe some day...but for now, more Kroot! I made these up a bit quick 'n' dirty, as they're cannon fodder, I save the nicer paint jobs for the Suits, (or at least, try to.) Still, I think they look "tabletop ready" enough, and I tried some drybrushing techniques on them that came out okay. They're also the first models I've base-coated in white, and the coats went on so much more smoothly that I'm probably going to do that as standard from now-on. Saves patchiness and over-coating.

CoffeeGrunt

I've been painting my Riptide's brother lately, among other things. Work's progressing slowly but he should be done by the end of this weekend. He was bought from a friend, so no conversions and a pretty standard pose on him:

In addition, I managed to finish my two Deathrain/Heatwave Crisis Suits. I use them as whatever's required and give my opponents a heads-up beforehand. Taking them as pure Deathrain left their arms a bit too empty, hence the erroneous Flamer and Shield!

Finally, I also finished my MV-62 Kor'vesa'ui Drone, counts-as for a Raven Shas'vre suit:

This is the first time I've managed Lenses I feel actually look believable, very chuffed! Followed an old tutorial by Tael, with Mephiston Red as a base, a light ring of Nuln Oil around the outside, then a crescent of Evil Sunz followed by a dot of Ceramite White. Eager to get this guy into the fight, as I feel he suits the role of a floating supercomputer tied to a sensor array better than a Crisis Suit would. I mean, how dull would it be for the Shas'vre pilot? I hope he packed a Gameboy at least.

Narric

The posing seems a little off. I guess its the fact he's leaning back and looking off, but that wouldn't be a problem if at least one weapon system followed his view.

Paintwork is fantastic dude ;) Would really like to see this on the opposite side of the board (for me to blow away with my own army) :P

CoffeeGrunt

The Crisis Suit on the left? Yeah, but I can't repose him now without a lot of trouble. :/

Narric

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on March 21, 2014, 11:17:12 PM
The Crisis Suit on the left? Yeah, but I can't repose him now without a lot of trouble. :/
I was talking about the Second Riptide ^_^;;

The Leaping back XV8 works as his head is straight forward, so could easily be jumping back to avoid an enemy strike whilst locking on for a missile salvo.