News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Sisters of Battle: (Incredibly Belated) First ImpressionsS

Started by Waaaghpower, December 18, 2013, 12:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 06, 2014, 09:26:35 AM
QuoteSisters are roughly 3 points cheaper than a marine. Grant it i am used to marines being 2 points more

Tac Marine: 14pts. Sister: 12pts. This means that 100pts will get you 8 Sisters vs 6 Marines.

Simply measuring how many shots they get at Rapid Fire doesn't really cut it, as the Marines are more durable, so more will survive fire to make it to Rapid Fire range. Also, the Marines can get Drop Pods to drop them right into where they're needed Turn 1.

On the other hand, though, Sisters have far better access to Special Weapons than Marines do.

Guess you didn't read my second post after that one. Again I said they used to be cheaper and was raised in points while marines got cheaper.  I overlooked the price hike.

The sisters have access to heavy flamers and have cheaper plasma and can have two special weapons. Which means 10 sister in groups of 5 can have 4 special weapons compared to 10 marines as a whole or as 2 man squads which would have only 2. Thinking about it I failed to really look at the sergeant upgrade. Throw in the character upgrade you can have at least 5 plasma shots within 12" for around 100 points, keep in mind faith helps with get hot.

I really don't see why they price hike. Honestly chapter marines can do almost all the things that sisters can do with better army wide abilities.

Although the possible 're refillable regular and +5 invulnerable saves looks interesting.  However since I am a daemonplayer I can say that iit's ok, but not something that will win you games.

CoffeeGrunt

I'd collect Sisters for the fluff and look if only they weren't metal. I don't think they've ever been a great, face stomping army to field, but one where you see a guy playing it, and know he really likes the fluff aspect.

I have very close games with the local Sisters player, and they're very fun. Lately he ran two Penitent Engines, an Inquisitorial Land Raider, Celestines, and two twenty-girl blobs of Sisters with Priests.

The Land Raider refused to die, and the only reason I didn't lose was because I snuck a Devilfish behind him as he pushed up. My Fire Warriors broke through his Sisters holding his midfield Objective, just about survived the deluge of Bolter shots from the ones who took my Objective, and saved me a draw.

I think it takes a very tactical person to make Sisters good, and as a result, you get a good game that pushes you to play tactically instead. I dislike playing other Power Armour armies because most people just blitzkrieg up the field straight at my guns. Sure, it's not fun for me to fire-and-retreat, but when you're running straight at my squishy Shas'la, what else can I do?
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Chicop76

I play all the armies, but Orcs and Dark Eldar basically.  Although I can say I do have models for all the armies though,

That being said Sisters initially was very good. Once you get the hang off using faith I rarely lost with them. Mainly due to the two Cannoness tag team combo who auto passed any faith requiring unit size or higher. A good example is you would give large squads rending and smaller squads invulnerable saves. You had to be aware of the powers and take advantage of your squad sizes. Also Inquisitors was rather nice as well.

The WD codex needed them to he'll and back.

The new codex in my opinion is no where as good as the original.  The original list my tag team sister combo could kill Bloodthirster type models rather easily.  The only thing was a challenge was the Nightbringer, anything else they owned. Basically always have 2 plus invulnerable saves with strength 7/8 attacks, with one chance to ignore instant death. Not going to mention rending death to everyone.

The new codex does address issues that the old codex have. It gives troops more options as well as other units. I still miss j etpacks on my Cannoness,  guess I should remodel the model since obviously they don't use packs anymore. Competitively I see them as guard allies. The sisters basically give the guard better tools while being decently cost-effective.  Well compared to marines anyway,  Although marines is not that much more anymore.

The Exorcist is a great add on vehicle for the guard to have for example.  I do agree that they are not on the same level as Tau.  I can beat Tau with sister/ guard.  I don't see how I can do so with just sisters.