News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Warp Spiders 2

Started by Tom, February 21, 2014, 08:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

As Thantos has declared bonus karma fortnight I thought I'd better post these up here:

I'm especially interested to know what you think of the exarch conversion:

It's what I imagined a spinneret rifle might look like, although my imagination was somewhat curbed by the options in my bits box.

I had to try and match the minis to another 6 that I painted almost exactly a year ago. I didn't feel like painting the warpspider aspect rune though so went with the web pattern. I think they go together tolerably but I'm not sure which I prefer:

Edit: I found the old post - http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=937.0

Archon Sharrek

By the many Dark Gods, these are beautiful! I would kill for white like that. Very nice work Tom. I personally like the runes more than the webs, but I've always liked the Eldar Runes. The detail on the Death Spinners is awesome, btw.
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

CoffeeGrunt

Please posts tutorials on how you achieve this arcane art!I love the paintjobs on these!
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Thantos

Lovely freehand ;D
A well deserved +3 Bonus Karma for the entire squad  :D

Tom

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic responses.

I must report that these chaps didn't do so well in their first battle though - I joined them to five more from the older squad to make a formidable wall of monofilament death but after completely shredding a ravager when they arrived they were wiped out by two shatterfield missiles and a hail of splinter rifle fire... I think they drew too much attention to themselves by coming on a little too early in the game a little too close to the main action.

Quote from: Archon Sharrek on February 21, 2014, 09:40:34 AM
By the many Dark Gods, these are beautiful! I would kill for white like that. Very nice work Tom. I personally like the runes more than the webs, but I've always liked the Eldar Runes. The detail on the Death Spinners is awesome, btw.
I'm glad you like the pattern on the death spinners because I've had others who've been less impressed. I felt that it sort of captures the idea of bundles of thread bunched up in the end of the gun. Another option might have been some sort of glowing power effect but I thought that didn't quite make sense given the nature of the weapon.

I think if I could have easily replicated the rune on the back of every mini I would have gone with that but it's so fiddly to paint exactly the same thing repeatedly (you can see I didn't manage to make them all exactly the same on the other squad) and all its straight edges are tricky. In comparison the web pattern is fun to paint, doesn't take long and is very forgiving because any imperfections almost add to the more organic shape of the pattern.

As for the white I'm sure you could manage it with enough practice and patience because it's not too difficult - Lots (I mean lots - as in I lost count but it's a small area so it's not difficult to do) of thin coats of white paint is thing. My only trick, if you can call it that, is a matte varnish painted onto the white at the end to smooth the finish perfectly and protect it from any staining or chipping.

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on February 21, 2014, 09:59:20 AM
Please posts tutorials on how you achieve this arcane art!
Is there anything in particular you'd like me to reveal? And I'm not sure my tutorials would be too useful to you because I'm still using all the old paints!

Chris

Stunning as per usual! Although, I think your red could be a little darker :p Just Kidding.