News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

How do you beat an Imperial Knight without another Imperial Knight?

Started by Scalphunta, February 23, 2014, 11:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scalphunta

Greetings,

What would a Space Marine (Ultramarines) player use to take down one of these Imperial Knights without using another Imperial Knight or a Super Heavy?

Any comments are welcomed and appreciated, Thanks in Advance
Quote from: Chapter Master Seth on January 12, 2011, 02:07:02 AM
I'm not even kidding though. I really do like [you]. :\

I consider [you] my best friend on the site and somebody I'd like to meet in person.

CoffeeGrunt

Same thing you'd do to kill a Land Raider. Melta and Lascannons.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

The Man They Call Jayne

Flanking tactics and stand off weapons. Broadside teams, Devestators, Predator Anihilators, Havocs and similar.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Waaaghpower

Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Archon Sharrek

All of the above would work, and mayhaps a Flier or 2. Storm Talons/Ravens could crack it with their respective missiles, and the Talon might Rend. If you're not against allies you could be brave (insane?) enough to throw something with haywire grenades into combat with it, as the Ion Shield save is only against shooting. They might not all die horribly.
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

Chris

The Ion shield is also only good for one facing which must be declared at the start of the shoot phase.
If you can get a shots on multiple facings, then the shield will not work on one of them...

I would suggest Land Speeders with Multi Melta. They allow you manouverability along with heavy fire power!

KCKitsune

Which rulebook is the Imperial Knights in?  I would like to know their rules **BEFORE** I face on the battlefield.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

Narric

Quote from: KCKitsune on February 27, 2014, 09:56:57 PM
Which rulebook is the Imperial Knights in?  I would like to know their rules **BEFORE** I face on the battlefield.
Rules can be found here and here ;)

salamut2202

Most of their AVs are 12, heck a dakka flyrant would severely wittle this thing down. Missile sides, wave serpents, Chaos melta-suicide-nators, drop-podded meltas, storm troopers - they don't seem that scary to me. I don't know, I'm facing them this weekend so I might be proven wrong.

CoffeeGrunt

They're only 12 on the side, but 13 up front, so you'd need Side/Rear Armour to even Glance it. 12 shots T-L nets you 2 Glances, one if it has the Ion Shield up. Not the best thing to rely on.

Narric

2 Glances per turn will kill it after three turns. With clever positioning, his Ion Shield wouldn't be able to defend from multiple sides.

CoffeeGrunt

You want to kill it quicker than three turns, it'll be in combat on the second. D-ing your Fexes. That's if it doesn't Ground your Flyrant with the Stubber and charge it.

It also has It Will Not Die, IIRC. You want to kill it quickly and harshly, not through attrition. A brood of Claw Fexes might be the best bet. You're going last anyway, might as well hit back hard with S10 Armourbane. In CQC it has no Shield, so do what Nids do best ,and stab it.

Archon Sharrek

It doesn't have It Will Not Die (thank the Emperor). I also read up on Invincible Behemoth, which states that if it suffers a Explodes! hit it just loses d3 hull points. So now I'm thinking a squadron of fusion gun carrying Piranhas is a good idea, seeing that they can reliably pen AV13.
Taking the theme of Tau and Dark Eldar allies, and having fun with it.

"That's EVIL EMPEROR ZURGIE-BABY, TO YOU!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

"Jim-cracking Dandy!" - Evil Emperor Zurg

CoffeeGrunt

My personal answer is already built into my current TAC list. Homing Beacons scattered around the board give me options for precision Deep Strikes over a lot of the board. A true Kau'yon defense.

Broadsides at the front, Fusion at the rear, it'll get hurt no matter what it does.

BigToof

Also remember that the Titan has a 15" template when it explodes, the middle 5" of which is strength D (i.e. kills everything without a save).
Thankfully it scatters, but if you're unlucky, that bad boy is going to be wiping out whatever was shooting at it.
Oh, and that also gives you extra incentive to NOT keep it in the center of your army.
I'm getting a game in with one proxied soon, so I'll make a rep as soon as that's done :)
My predictions?
I think it'll do some damage, but not as much as everyone says.
This isn't a Revenant after all.
It might actually be better in assault rather than just raw shooting, as it's actually sort of mediocre (2 battle cannon shots or 1 melta shot that doesn't ignore cover is actually kind of weaksauce in the current meta).
4 "D" hits on the assault, especially if given prescience means that it can do a lot of damage to the enemy and also can act as a kind of anti-deathstar suicide weapon, as you just throw it in, knowing it'll take out a chunk of the jetseer/screamerstar, either by using the big chainsword or the resulting D explosion...
And since most deathstars cost about 2 or so Knights that might actually be a viable tactic...
As for taking them out, anything that can mass S7/8 shots will do nicely.  Fliers too.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3