News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Narric's Weekly Themed Lists

Started by Narric, April 06, 2014, 11:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

[updated OP]
Decided two things: 1. I'm gonna be writing a "Themed" army list once per week, and 2. As I won't be stiking to either Good or Bad forces, its easier to put the thread in General, rather the Enemeies or Allies Board. If a Mod or someone else thinks thats a bad idea, I'm all ears.

[Original OP]
Kabal/Coven Dark Eldar
This list started out of my mind from having a look through the Fantasy model range, and I spotted Shadowblade of the Dark Elves. I don't know nor care if that is a character, or just some Hero rank, but the model itself easily screams Dark Eldar to me. All it needs is a Blast Pistol, and its good to go :P

Since Dark Eldar got an update, the Coven units have always been myfavourite for Core, so I always take aemonculi in at least one HQ slot.

Here is the 1k Pt list:
Spoiler
HQ
Duke Sliscus   - 150pts

Haemonculus   - 70pts
Agoniser

Haemonculus   - 70pts
Scissorhand, Stinger Pistol

Haemonculus   - 70pts
Power Weapon, Soul Trap

Elites
Kabalite Trueborn (5)   - 116pts
Dracon – Power Weapon, Plasma Grenade
Squad – Shardcarbines, 1x Shredder, Haywire Grenades
Raider   - 60pts

Kabalite Trueborn (5)   - 116pts
Raider   - 60pts

Troops
Wracks (5)   - 65pts
Acothyst – Agoniser

Wracks (5)   - 65pts
Acothyst – Agoniser

Fast Attack
Hellions (4)   - 79pts
Helliarch – Power Weapon

Hellions (4)   - 79pts
Helliarch – Power Weapon

Total = 1000pts

Here is the 1.5k Pt list:
Spoiler
HQ
Duke Sliscus   - 150pts

Haemonculus   - 75pts
Agoniser, Stinger Pistol

Haemonculus   - 70pts
Scissorhand, Stinger Pistol

Haemonculus   - 70pts
Power Weapon, Soul Trap

Elites
Kabalite Trueborn (10)   - 211pts
Raider   - 75pts
Flickerfield, Chain Snares

Kabalite Trueborn (10) - 211pts
Raider - 75pts
Flickerfield, Chain Snares

Troops
Wracks (7)   - 85pts
Acothyst – Agoniser

Wracks (7)   - 85pts
Acothyst – Agoniser

Wracks (6)   - 75pts
Acothyst – Agoniser

Kabalite Warriors (5)   - 80pts
Sybarite – Power Weapon
Squad - Blaster

Kabalite Warriors (5)   - 80pts
Sybarite – Power Weapon
Squad - Blaster

Fast Attack
Hellions (4)   - 79pts
Helliarch – Power Weapon

Hellions (4)   - 79pts
Helliarch – Power Weapon

Total = 1500pts

Now the numbers may seem strange, especially for the Hellions and in the second List Wrack units. This is becuase I will be using the kits for serius conversions. Two out of three of the Haemonculi wll be made from Hellion parts and Green Stuff. The third is already sitting on my desk, if a bit underpainted presently.

With the small exception of the model I already own, this list comes in at under £200 from GW, and less then £125 from Total Wargamer.
Shopping List

• 2x Hellion Box sets
  • 1x Kabalite Warriors Box sets
  • 2x Raiders
  • 1x Shadowblade
  • 2x Dark Elf Dreadspears Box sets
  • 2x Vampire Counts Crypt Ghouls

I already can tell this list is lacking in Anti Tank weaponry. Perhaps a 500pt ally with access to plenty of AT weapons would be useful.

Narric

Space Dwarfs
Surprisingly, using only a few extra bits you can make a 1.5k pt list from the Dwarf battleline box set alone. Not having the most recent Dwarf Army Book, I'm not too sure if you can do the same for Fantasy though. Still, here is my take on a "Space Dwarf" army using the Fantasy Dwarfs range, and the Space Marine Codex.

Spoiler
Chapter Tactics
Iron Hands
This is mostly to represent Dwarves being a touch more resilient. 6+ Feel no Pain isn't exactly game changing. Giving characters "It Will Not Die" will definately ensure they stick around.

HQ
Chapter Master – 215pts
The Armour Indomitus, Storm Bolter, Power Axe, Auspex
Honour Guard (5) – 175pts
Chapter Champion – Thunder Hammer
Squad – Chapter Banner
Razorback – 75pts
Lascannon & TL Plasma Gun

Librarian – 115pts
Mastery level 2, Powerfist, Auspex

Elites
Vanguard Veteran Squad (5) – 200pts
Sergeant – Power Weapon
Squad – 2x Power Weapons, 2x Thunder Hammers
Razorback – 75pts

Troops
Tactical Squad (10) – 180pts
Sergeant – Power Weapon
Squad – Missile Launcher, Flakk Missiles
Razorback – 75pts

Tactical Squad (10) – 165pts
Sergeant – Power Weapon
Squad – Multi-Melta
Razorback – 75pts

Fast attack
Assault Squad (10) – 190pts
Sergeant – Combat Shield, Power Weapon
Squad – No Jump Packs
Drop Pod – 35pts

Assault Squad (10) – 190pts
Sergeant – Combat Shield, Power Weapon
Squad – No Jump Packs
Drop Pod – 35pts

Heavy Support
Thunderfire Cannon – 100pts

Thunderfire Cannon – 100pts

Total = 2000pts

Yet another one of those Big Army projects I want to do in future, but can I be blamed? This would look truly epic on the game table.

Shopping list:
1x Dwarf Battleline
1x Grimm Burloksson
4x Razorbacks
2x Drop Pods
1x Land Raider Crusader Upgrade Pack. (for Multi-Melta and Missile Launcher)
3x Termnus Ultra Conversion Kits
6x Plasma Guns (at least three pairs of making guns)
59x 25mm Round Bases

Any comments or critism would be great ^_^

Narric

Daemonhost
Yet another theme list for you to look at and declare as evidence for my crazy. Too used to Bloggers auto-posting feature ^_^;;;

This time its Daemons, possession, and those crazy people who follow them around.

Here is the 1k pt list:
Spoiler
HQ
Daemon Prince – 215pts
Mark of Khorne, Power Armour, Axe of Blind Fury

Elites
Possessed (5) - 175pts
Champion – Double Gift of Mutation
Mark of Khorne, Vets of the Log War

Possessed (5) - 175pts
Champion – Double Gift of Mutation

Troops
Khorne Cultists (10) –70pts
Mark of Khorne

Khorne Cultists (10) – 70pts
Mark of Khorne

Fast Attack
Heldrake – 170pts

Heavy Support
Maulerfiend – 125pts

Total = 1000pts

Originally it had three units of Possessed, but keeping it like that meant no Heldrake. Khorne VotLW Possessed are pretty expensive per model to be honest, but I was keeping to a Khorne theme for this list, mostly becuase Khorne is best Chaos God. Deal with it people. Khorne-flakes for everyone. Kill me for the terrribe joke later.

Here is the 2k pts list:
Spoiler
HQ
Daemon Prince – 215pts
Mark of Khorne, Power Armour, Axe of Blind Fury

Daemon Prince – 215pts
Mark of Khorne, Power Armour, Murder Sword

Elites
Possessed (10) - 310pts

Possessed (10) - 310pts

Possessed (7) - 217pts

Troops
Khorne Cultists (10) –70pts
Mark of Khorne

Khorne Cultists (10) – 70pts
Mark of Khorne

Fast Attack
Heldrake – 170pts

Heldrake – 170pts

Heavy Support
Maulerfiend – 125pts

Maulerfiend – 125pts

Total = 1997pts

Second Prince, second Chaos Artefact. Murder Prince is my Warlord hunter, while Blind Fury Prince is just to throw at the nearest enemy unit.

What will make this army interesting is that I have found suitable base models that are from the Fantasy range exclusively, meaning this army will look like no other. The model to unit chart goes like this:

Beastmen Minotaurs = Daemon Prince
Warriors of Chaos Forsaken = Possessed
Warriors of Chaos Marauders = Cultists
High Elves Flamespyre Phoenixa = Heldrake
Tomb Kings Necro/War Sphinx = Maulerfiend

Ah, I can see it lined up on the table already, such gloriousness in the name of Khorne

Narric

The Hunter Tau
I can be a very agresive Tau player, and I think this list shows that offa little too well.

The main strategy to this list is to shoot at any tough enemy units, to hopefully soften them up for an up close assault. Each Crisis Suit Team and Command will co-ordinate with a Fire Warrior unit for maximum killage, whilst the Vespid as as flanking harassment.

Spoiler
HQ
Commander – 115pts
Flamer, Missile Pod, Shield Generator
Bodyguard Team (2) – 124pts
2x (Dual Flamers, Shield Generator)

Troops
Fire Warrior Team (6) – 60pts
Bonding Knife Ritual

Bonding Knife Ritual

Bonding Knife Ritual

Bonding Knife Ritual

Elites
Crisis Team (3) – 186pts
Shas'vre – Flamer, Missile Pod, Shield Generator
2x Shas'ui – Flamer, Missile Pod, Shield Generator

Crisis Team (3) – 186pts

Crisis Team (3) – 186pts

Fast Attack
Vespid Stingwings (8) – 154pts
Strain Leader

Vespid Stingwings (8) – 154pts
Strain Leader

Vespid Stingwings (8) – 144pts

Total = 1499pts

I'm tempted to change out the Shas'ui Missile Pods for Burst Cannons, but I feel that would reduce the real damage the Crisis suits can put out.

Narric

Fallen Angels
This week I'm making a list to field Fallen Dark Angels.

My first issue was what to do with the Troops section. Cypher doesn't seem the kind of character to have a large number of Marines at his side, especially considering the ambiguity of what happened during the Heresy*.

With this in mind, the Troops are some lightly armoured Cultists that Cypher has "recruited" from the local population, who has brought with him if they proved their worth. The bulk of weaponry comes from well-equipped Marines.

Spoiler
HQ
Cypher (Chaos Lord) - 110pts
Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol, Meltabombs, Sigil of Corruption, Veteran of the Long War

Elites
Chosen (8) – 220pts
Champion – Power Weapon
Squad – 3x Plasma Gun, Veteran of the Long War

Troops
Chaos Cultists (20) – 119pts
Champion – Shotgun
Squad – Autoguns, 2x Heavy Stubber

Chaos Cultists (20) – 119pts
Champion – Shotgun
Squad – Autoguns, 2x Heavy Stubber

Fast Attack
Chaos Bikers (6) – 136pts
Champion – Power Weapon, Meltabombs
Squad – 2x Meltaguns, Vets of the Long War

Chaos Bikers (6) – 131pts
Champion – Power Weapon
Squad – 2x Meltaguns, Vets of the Long War

Heavy Support
Havocs (5) – 163pts
Champion – Twin-linked Boltgun
Squad – 2x Missile Launchers with Flakk Missiles, 2x Autocannons, Vets of the Long War, Close Combat Weapons

Total = 998pts

The main plan with this would be to advance up the centre of the board, with the Bikers flanking. The Havocs have CCWs, and nobody expects the Heavy Weapons unit to charge ;)

Cultists act as meat shield, throwing as many shots as possible forward.

No shopping list, as unfortunately Cypher is no longer available. Would be awesom if he had a new model in future. If he doesn't get a new model or return, then people should go crazy and convert a model to be him.

*Note, I have yet to read through the latest Dark Angels Codex, or many of the Horus Heresy Novels, so I could easily be wrong about Cyphers character.

Narric

Decided I should branch out a little, so this week I'm doing lists for the wargame Void 1.1.

These lists use the Junkers Forcebook for Void 1.1, and is loosely based on conversions that can be achieved with the Plastic sprue I reviewed in the past.

The Convicts of Ironglass

The first two lists are for my Convict Legionaires.
As the name implies, these are the cut throats and murderers, and general low-life scum that inhabit the worlds of the Junkers, who originated from Ironglass. They armed with crude weaponry, a sawn-off shotgun and combat blade, and a simple combat shield for protection. They are led (or should that be coraled?) by a Censor. A man who has the power to invoke severe and crippling pain in his convict charges. This is through an implant that replaces the convicts eye.
Alongside the Censor is a younger Enforcer, called a Lictor. He is here to gain more battlefield experience and for the Censor to evaluate the Lictors skill.
The Censor knew that just throwing expendable convicts at the enemy may not lead to a perfect success, so he enlisted a small unit of Exo-suits. Equipped with Heavy Grape Guns and a Cestus (equivalent to a 40k Powerfist) their task is to march forward and punch the biggest enemy target in the face.

Convict List 1
Spoiler
Censor – 30pts

Lictor – 20pts

Convict Legionaries (11) – 155pts
Legionary Decurion

Convict Legionaries (11) – 155pts
Legionary Decurion

Exo-suits (4) –140pts

Total = 500pts

Convict List 2
I have a preference for named characters only in larger games, and so at this level I chose to include the first. Censor Cato. Compared to rank & file Censors, he has a couple extra rules, and is much better at keeping a squad from Panicing. He has two Lictors at his feet, becuase he can pit the two against eachother to ensure which one is the better, and put in his recommendation for promotion.
Due to his skill, Cato has a larger number of Convicts to control, including some mounted on Sandrunners. Sandrunners also have more potent Thermite Lances in replacement of the standard Combat Blade. The Thermite Lance has a -5 Modifier to enemy Armour Saves, so they will easily tear through small units with ease.
Spoiler
Censor Cato – 35pts

2x Lictors – 40pts

Convict Legionaries (13) – 155pts
Legionary Decurion, 2x Flamer throwers

Convict Legionaries (12) – 155pts
Legionary Decurion, Flame Thrower

Convict Legionaries (12) – 155pts
Legionary Decurion, Flame thrower

Convict Sandrunners (6) – 215pts
Sandrunner Decurion

Exo-suits (4) –145pts
Exo-suit Decurion

Total = 1000pts

The Preatorian Guard of Ironglass

The second two lists are for my Preatorian Guard.
Preatorian Guard are the true armed forces of the Junkers. They are citizens who have chosen to join the military, and Convict Legionaires who have decided a life of War is better then the life they had on Ironglass, or whichever Junker world they came from.
The Preatorian guard are led by a Preator, who is the Legion Commander. Rather than leading through Fear, he leads by example, literally Inspiring his mem to greater feats of heroism.
Unlike Convict Legionaires, the Preatorian Guard are a highly drilled unit, and this is examplified with their "Shield Wall" ability. Standing side by side a-breast, they gretaly improve their chances of surviving enemy fire. The Supporting Guard (models with Special Weapons) cannot be targeted by enemy shooting until all the Shield Wall are gone. The benefit is lost when the unit is charged, so best to be aggressive against combat ocused enemies.

Preatorian List 1
Spoiler
Preator – 35pts

Preatorian Guard (10) – 205pts
Legionary Decurion

Preatorian Guard (9) – 185pts
Legionary Decurion

Exo-suits (2) –75pts
Exo-suit Decurion
Total = 500pts

Preatorian List 2
Like the Convict list, I've only included one Named Character. This time it is Preator Maximus. A man who discovered corruption within his legion and put to a stop to it. He is as deadly in combat as he is inspirational to his fellows.
Bringing to the field in this list I chose the Dune Raiders. Dirt bike mounted Convicts whos soul job is to harass weak or weakened enemy units until they flee off the board like cowards. to aid them, one has been given the honour of carrying a Chain gun to better gun down the enemy. Lets hope Maximus' trust hasn't been misplaced.
Spoiler
Preator Maximus – 40pts

Legionary Decurion

Legionary Decurion

Legionary Decurion

Dune Raiders (5) – 200pts
Decurion, Pillager

Exo-suits (4) –145pts
Exo-suit Decurion
Total = 1000pts

Thats it for the Preatorians. I believe I shall do a couple of themed lists for the Viridians next week.

Void 1.1 is on sale from Scotia Grendal Productions, at an increadibly awesome price. The rules do show their age, but I'm sure with support, SG will be able to put time into the next edition of this quite frankly awesome game system.

Narric

Continuing my branching into Void 1.1. This week its the force behind Fenrir "The Ice Duke."

These lists use the Viridian Forcebook for Void 1.1.

Fenrir's Fangs
These two lists a small "Warband" of sorts who are led to battle by the veteran Fenrir, known as "The Ice Duke".
Hailing from the world of Nifilheim, the Assault Marine Program was overseen by Fenrir, a Veteran of dozens of conflicts. He taught the marines about how to raise their anger to titanic levels but keep their focus soully on the enemy. In so doing the Assault Marine under his tutorlege deviated from the norm, exhibiting Berzerker tendancies. This makes them excellent assault troops, and even allowing them to counter an enemy charge that could devastated the unit.
Accompanying the Assault Marines are a unit of Soldiers. Their main objective is to provide long range fire support and target enemy armour. One hardy and stern Commando Marine keeps a small collection of Cynoraptors for use on the battlefield. Litarelly keeping miniature dinosaurs as attack dogs.
Unlike my normal habit of not including special characters, it just felt off to not include Fenrir at this level. He can truly lead his Marines to victory.

Fenrir's Fangs List 1
Spoiler
Fenrir "The Ice Duke" – 40pts
Fenrir's Assault Marines (7) – 219pts
Sergeant
Viridian Marines (8) – 156pts
Sergeant, Missile Launcher
Cynoraptors & Handler – 81pts
5x Cynoraptors
Total = 496pts

Fenrir's Fangs List 2
Doubling up the Assault Marines.  Gave the second squad a Great Axe, so the two units sort of mirror. I also decided to double up the Cynoraptors, as those little devils SHALL become the stuff of rage for my opponent. Especially if I get them to assault a unit the Assault Marines have wrapped up.
The Pteraraptors are another Assault focused unit, but have the advantage of flight, allowing them to ignore most terrain under 9". The Riders are decent at both range and combat, but it is the Pteraraptor mounts that can turn a fight.
Spoiler
Fenrir "The Ice Duke" – 40pts
Fenrir's Assault Marines (7) – 219pts
Sergeant
Fenrir's Assault Marines (7) – 221pts
Sergeant, 1x Great Axe
Viridian Marines (9) – 173pts
Sergeant, Missile Launcher
Pteraraptors (5) - 182pts
Sergeant
5x Cynoraptors
5x Cynoraptors
Total = 995pts

Void 1.1 is on sale from Scotia Grendal Productions, at an increadibly awesome price. The rules do show their age, but I'm sure with support, SG will be able to put time into the next edition of this quite frankly awesome game system.

Narric

Yet another aggressive Tau list. Wow, I'm really a forward player. Maybe I should pick up the Farsight Enclave supplement :P
This list was more inspired by a single walk into to work. Nothing in particular, just thinking about Riptides and Unbound 40k lists.
Surprisingly, this list was originally just going to be me TRYING to make an Unbound and destructive list. I guess I'm just too used to the old FOC system that I just couldn't escape it, also I like using near all the models I buy. Anyway, onto the list.

Spoiler
HQ
Cadre Fireblade – 74pts
2x Marker Drones

Troops
Fire Warrior Team (6) – 97pts
Shas'ui –  Markerlight & Target Lock
Squad – Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades

Fire Warrior Team (6) – 97pts
Squad – Bonding Knife Ritual, EMP Grenades

Elites
XV104 Riptide – 275pts
TL Fusion Blaster, Ion Accelerator, 2x Shielded Missile Drones, Counterfire Defence System, Stim Injectors

XV8 Crisis Team (3) – 174pts
3x Shas'ui w/ Two Missile Pods & Flamer, Bonding Knife Ritual

XV25 Stealth Team (6) – 219pts
Squad – Shas'ui w/ Bonding Knife ritual, Advanced Targeting System

Fast Attack
Pathfinder Team (6) – 95pts
Shas'ui –  Blacksun Filter
Squad – EMP Grenades, Bonding Knife Ritual

Pathfinder Team (6) – 95pts
Shas'ui –  Blacksun Filter
Squad – EMP Grenades, Bonding Knife Ritual

Piranha Squadron (2) – 148pts
2x Piranha w/ 2x Seeker Missiles each, Decoy Launchers, Point Defence Targeting Relay, Automated Repair System

Heavy Support
XV88 Broadside Team (3) – 226pts
3x shas'ui w/ TL Plasma Rifle and TL HYMP
2x Seeker Missiles
Total = 1500pts

The Riptide is my true Commander. Leading from the front, he will cut a path of destruction into the enemy. The Cadre Fireblade is to keep the Fire Warriors in line, and hold Tau Deployment Zone Objectives.
Pathfinders are a must in any Tau List, alongwith any source of Markerlights. I'm not sure where people get the idea that they are expensive. Limited in number, yes, but with Multi-detachments, I personally don't see how that can still be a problem.

This list has had some critique here: http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=1804.0