News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

3D Printers & Printer Pens

Started by Narric, April 30, 2014, 08:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lix3d/lix-the-smallest-3d-printing-pen-in-the-world

To be honest, when I first so this i was sceptical, as whenever I think of 3D Printing, its always with bulky desktop machinary.

If this could work with plastic or resin, its would be great for adding detail to models, such as bulky out areas.

What do you guys think?

The Man They Call Jayne

That is a very impressive bit of kit. I can see great things being done with it. People making custom sigils or banners, stuff like that, detailing work as you say. But also, if you have enough of the stuff, you could make whole models.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Will's on Fire

The part where the write lix in the air is crazy.

Seems awesome.

Thantos

Id be happy if they named it correctly. This is no more 3d printing than a Biro is an Injet Printer!
Its a glorified gluegun which you feed plastic filament into rather than glue - gah!

May be useful for making armatures when sculpting. But not for the price IMO. Ill stick with wire.

Narric

Welp, there goes the neighbourhood. Why outsource to someone who knows what they're doing and just screw up yourself ::)

http://themicro3d.com/

£210 for a desktop 3D printer is a good price, though I do fear it will make people who 3D print on demand as a business kinda "Elitist" or something, as everybody is going to do it.

On the flip-side, if you're wanting to start a small business that requires small [parts, it definately is useful.

As I've said, i simple fear this will flood the internet with poor quality 3D printed products......

Sorck

As I doubt it'll be of sufficient quality to print any kind of miniatures, it won't be of much use for miniature production/conversion.

It all depends on what the parts are... you can't print high levels of detail usually. Though if you have to print a particular fiddly gear set that isn't going to have much torque applied to it then I suppose it'd be great. I'm sure I could find things to do with one though... but I doubt I'd get my moneys worth.

Thantos

Its cheap and cheerful, it likely wont work well, did you see the QUBD printers which were also 200 quid a few months ago?

They made all these claims of printing for the masses, cheap parts, anyone can do it etc etc. Now look at the reviews from people who have received their printers. :P https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=qu-bd+problems Doesnt mesh up.
The lead screw has wobble, which varies the z step causing failed prints, the extruders jam often and the printer tends to break down. Combined with little to no customer support.

The micro i trust even less than i trusted QUBD - simply because their website only shows renders and computer graphics from keyshot. When launching the KS they hadnt even built or tested a working printer. So how do they know it works!

And plus - get a load of that detail for printing miniatures! COOOR!

Unholy Harbinger

http://store.quintessentialuniversalbuildingdevice.com/product.php?id_product=144

I'm buying a 3D printer soon to actually save me money (I 3D print a lot). Not necessarily the one above but might interest you guys. It's a self assembly kit.

Thantos

Quote from: Unholy Harbinger on June 07, 2014, 11:02:30 AM
http://store.quintessentialuniversalbuildingdevice.com/product.php?id_product=144

I'm buying a 3D printer soon to actually save me money (I 3D print a lot). Not necessarily the one above but might interest you guys. it's a self assembly kit.

QUBD is short for quintessential universal building device  :P Read the reviews about them!

Quote from: Thantos on June 07, 2014, 09:32:07 AM
did you see the QUBD printers which were also 200 quid a few months ago?

They made all these claims of printing for the masses, cheap parts, anyone can do it etc etc. Now look at the reviews from people who have received their printers. :P https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=qu-bd+problems Doesnt mesh up.
The lead screw has wobble, which varies the z step causing failed prints, the extruders jam often and the printer tends to break down. Combined with little to no customer support.

Kur'os

The printers we're seeing right now might not be that amazing, but it's all building up.  Another couple years and we'll be printing our armies...

-Kur'os

InsaneTD

Bullshit. Games workshop would lose too much money. They'll do everything they can to stop that.

Unholy Harbinger

Quote from: Thantos on June 07, 2014, 11:06:52 AM

Dear lord, i hadn't got to the stage where I was looking at the reviews yet.... That's actually a skill to have that many problems.

Sorck

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on June 12, 2014, 12:31:47 AM
Bullshit. Games workshop would lose too much money. They'll do everything they can to stop that.
I don't think GW has enough money to actually stop the 3D printers of the right quality and price being produced. However, they would sue anyone producing a 3D model that looked remotely like any of their IP in an attempt to prevent it from being available... and they'd likely win.

I also doubt it'll only be two years. I'd think we're looking at 5-10 years before the low cost technology is of sufficient quality to rival the quality of most miniatures.

CoffeeGrunt

To get comparable quality as well as price, it's a decent number of years off, IMO.

Not to mention that GW and others will advance their own moulding techniques during that time. 3D Printing might reach a, "good enough," cheap and cheerful level, but I bet you even ten years from now you'd be able to tell a 3D Printed copy from the original.

I can't see them becoming the revolution people were saying they'll be for the last couple of years. Expense has to drop, they have to become point-and-click with extremely rare hiccups and no need for calibration. Even then, look at Printers. Woohoo, you can print out exactly what you want...and then a couple of years later WiFi hits, everyone's mobile and connected to Facebook to send and receive photos, and printers were relegated to the office and occasional CV printing spree.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

All to do with scale really :P I'm sure you've all seen those 3D printed houses that I believe are in China? 3DP is also being tested in the medical field as a better technique for skin grafts. With the right minds behind it, there is not much to limit the tech beyond the scale of what you're printing.

I agree we will be able to tell the copies from the originals, but with enough time even that will become difficult.

I believe GW already does 3D printing, as I remember seeig the Skaven Hell Pit abomination being sculpted digitally at the Games Day I attended (2010 I think it was). I also think some of the newer kits would also have been sculpted digitally, especially ones with highly fiddly/detailed designs.