News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

3D Printers & Printer Pens

Started by Narric, April 30, 2014, 08:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoffeeGrunt

Sculpted digitally doesn't necessarily mean that it's 3D Printed, though. They've been doing 3D sculpts for a long time now, longer than 3DP has been popular for.

Those establishments are using industrial-scale, expensive, high-precision machinery to create those products. It's like comparing your innkjet printer to the ones Saatchi and Saatchi would use.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Sorck

Quote from: Narric on June 12, 2014, 09:32:34 AM
I believe GW already does 3D printing, as I remember seeig the Skaven Hell Pit abomination being sculpted digitally at the Games Day I attended (2010 I think it was). I also think some of the newer kits would also have been sculpted digitally, especially ones with highly fiddly/detailed designs.
They will have been using digital models for quite a number of years as it's much easier to produce an injection mould from a digital model than anything else. In this day and age you can actually 3D print the mould itself which is helpful for large scale miniature production.

Though it's possible that other tools were used to create the injection moulds, I'm not sure how capable the traditional wasting processes are with such fine details.

Unholy Harbinger

Quote from: Sorck on June 12, 2014, 09:45:51 AM
Quote from: Narric on June 12, 2014, 09:32:34 AM
I believe GW already does 3D printing, as I remember seeig the Skaven Hell Pit abomination being sculpted digitally at the Games Day I attended (2010 I think it was). I also think some of the newer kits would also have been sculpted digitally, especially ones with highly fiddly/detailed designs.
They will have been using digital models for quite a number of years as it's much easier to produce an injection mould from a digital model than anything else. In this day and age you can actually 3D print the mould itself which is helpful for large scale miniature production.

Though it's possible that other tools were used to create the injection moulds, I'm not sure how capable the traditional wasting processes are with such fine details.

Either they 3D printed a positive to make the negative mould. Or milled it out with high precision CNC. The top of the line CNC millers with 1.2jiga-axis-of-movement (Okay maybe not that many :P) are insanely precise, you can carve statues with them and there won't be any visible deviation from the model.

InsaneTD

Quote from: Sorck on June 12, 2014, 08:40:43 AM
Quote from: Tybalt Defet on June 12, 2014, 12:31:47 AM
Bullshit. Games workshop would lose too much money. They'll do everything they can to stop that.
I don't think GW has enough money to actually stop the 3D printers of the right quality and price being produced. However, they would sue anyone producing a 3D model that looked remotely like any of their IP in an attempt to prevent it from being available... and they'd likely win.

I also doubt it'll only be two years. I'd think we're looking at 5-10 years before the low cost technology is of sufficient quality to rival the quality of most miniatures.
Bolded part is what I meant. They can't do shite about 3D printers, but they can go after the people selling/distributing digital models, and 3D printed models of their stuff. Most of the gaming companies will. And they won't sell the files themselves because once people have it, they won't need to buy it again.

Sorck

GW could create a new business model. They produce 3D printers and sell the material for them. You can then buy a 3D model from them and you can print it, but you only receive a license to print a certain number of them and the printer is incapable of printing anymore. You never know, it could work.

Narric

Careful Sorck, you'll give them ideas :P

Unholy Harbinger

Quote from: Sorck on June 12, 2014, 05:25:32 PM
GW could create a new business model. They produce 3D printers and sell the material for them. You can then buy a 3D model from them and you can print it, but you only receive a license to print a certain number of them and the printer is incapable of printing anymore. You never know, it could work.

I'd use an arduino to siphon out the machine code and save it to a file. Then print as much as I frigging want :P

InsaneTD

Quote from: Unholy Harbinger on June 12, 2014, 09:54:12 PM
Quote from: Sorck on June 12, 2014, 05:25:32 PM

I'd use an arduino to siphon out the machine code and save it to a file. Then print as much as I frigging want :P
And this is why that will never happen.

Narric

Some new meat to chew on, and an updated thread title :P

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/creopop-the-world-s-first-3d-pen-with-cool-ink
Draws in 3D without using heated plastic or polymers.

Unholy Harbinger

That's a pretty awesome thing.

On the large printer note I cam to the conclusion that this is one of the best budget printers around:
http://printrbot.com/shop/simple-black-assembled/

Narric

If you're willing to assemble it yourself, you save $190 :P

Having a quick glance at the price in £, its just over £250 including Tax and Postage, for the dissassembled kit. ~£370 for the pre-assembled kit.

Unholy Harbinger

Quote from: Narric on July 03, 2014, 07:44:39 PM
If you're willing to assemble it yourself, you save $190 :P

Having a quick glance at the price in £, its just over £250 including Tax and Postage, for the dissassembled kit. ~£370 for the pre-assembled kit.

I was going to assemble myself. Plus customs are less likely to hit me with the VAT if the box is smaller :P

The Man They Call Jayne

I wonder how well that creopop ink handles filing or sanding. Or if it sets into an almost hard gelatin type thing which would crumble under any real pressure
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

Well it can take out water being poured on it so it can't be too fragile. I wouldn't use it to make full models though, maybe effects so it looks like a plasma weapon is actually firing or such.

miguel77

If I'm not mistaken, this 3D printing pen works with ABS or PLA material. I'm not just quite sure if other filament such as this http://www.3d2print.net/shop/3d-printer-filament/elastic-filament/ is suitable for this tool. It's very handy than a desktop 3D printer machine. And not bad, it's very affordable at only £99.99.