News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Hereticus Excomminatus

Started by Narric, September 14, 2014, 08:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

If I were to make a Space Marine force that utilized Necron combonent (both in their physical conversions and in fluff) would it be better to use the Vanilla Marine Codex and Iron Hands CTs, or use the Chaos Space Marine Codex with Mark of Nurgle?

Wargear could be done counts as as and when needed, though Flayers easily match Boltguns, Guass Blasters match Heavy Bolters, and Synaptic Disintegrators can just be Lascannons.

This idea stems from a conversion I did a while ago, that I have since lost the models to, that combined excess Marine Torso fronts with left over Immortal/Deathmark Torso rears. Thinking on the idea of a rogue Techmarine managing to capture and place in stasis pieces of Necrons and Necron Tech to study and replicate using Imperial tech. The "Hereticus Excommunatus" status of the chapter itself is from the idea that the Chapter Master embraced this new technology, as it was equally powerful, and the absolute lack of chaos taint lulled the Chapter Master and his command that the tech would be safe for use.

Deciding which codex I would use would give me a better idea of what options I could include, and how the theme would be achieved.

Chris

I'm not certain, but the 5th Edition CSM codex was written with Rengade Marines in mind too. So it was possible to field an army of 'Chaos Space Marines' without any actual Chaos influence. I've not really looked over the 6th ed one much, but I'm fairly sure it is heavily focussed on actual Chaos.

I'd go with the Vanilla Marine codex and perhaps use the Iron Hands supplement, that may give a greater spectrum to manoeuvre.
Don't forget, Forge World has a free download of Chapter Tactic to represent the chapters in the Badab wars too! You may find something useful in there! 

Narric

CSM 6th could still be used for Renegades, though the addition of Boons means that Chaotic elements will always be present.

I had assumed going Iron Hands Marines would have been best. It Will Not Die on Vehicles also ties in nicely IMO for a Necron/Imperial combination of technology. Kinda wish the Chapter Tactics also confered +1 to FNP rolls (so +1 to FNP from Narthecaniums)  if in addition to flat 6+ FNP, but I'm sure some beardy bastard would have twisted that around.

I've got an idea for the Chapters' origins, and how they decended into Hereticus status. Will have to write it down and fine-tune it sometime soon :P