News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

List of all unit types?

Started by Sorck, September 17, 2014, 01:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorck

I'm trying to get a list of all 40k unit types that exist in the game these days for the army list editor. I seem to remember there being new ones in the new rulebook but I've not actually got a copy to get the types from. :P

So far the list has: (not in order)
infantry
jump infantry
walker
monstrous creature
beast
vehicle
skimmer
tank
fast vehicle
fast skimmer
fast tank
bike
jetbike

Are there others?
Also, are "tank", "fast" and "skimmer" more like a special rule addon rather than actually being a distinct unit type?

Thanks in advance,
Sorck

Chris

There is also 'Swarm' for units like Scarabs, Flying Monstrous Creature too maybe?

Narric

Swarm is a Special rule, and Flying MCs are a unit type as far as I know.

Jump is no an Add-on type, or "Sub-type" I believe the rulebook puts it, so can technically be added to any unit type. Jet Pack is the same, though often goes alongside the Jump type iirc.

Artillery is a Unit Type, and you have also missed Cavalry.

Character is also a Unit Type now, but again is a Sub-type same as Jump and Jet Pack.

With all Vehicles for 6th, everything after the Vehicle Unit Type is a Sub-type. These are: Transport, Flyer, Chariot, Open-Topped, Heavy, Fast, Skimmer, Walker and Tank.

I think the easiest thing to do would be make a drop-down menu for all the main unit types (Infantry, Bike/Jetbike, Beast Cavalry, Monstrous Creature, Flying MC and Vehicle) and have there being a player filled Sub-type box. Just my opinion on the matter. Actually thinking about it, it actually makes the most sense as these types could be used across near every game system. The sub-type box can easily be used by players to identify between different types of infantry or MC.

Sorck

Oh that's a way to make it complex... if I was doing it with multiple allowed types you'd probably get a 'main type' box and several 'extra type(s)' boxes so that really complex things could be done (e.g. fast skimmer tank).
It might seem sensible to have those types for all games but I'd rather have it more universal (i.e. so you can specify your unit types for a given game system, and add your own as well for when we inevitably miss some).

Narric, unless I'm mistaken we are on 7th edition now. :)

Narric

The 6th ed book is what i have in front of me, and my understanding was there wasn't much change to the Unit Types section. Of course I could easily be wrong.

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric on September 18, 2014, 07:18:59 AM
The 6th ed book is what i have in front of me, and my understanding was there wasn't much change to the Unit Types section. Of course I could easily be wrong.

Aside from the Super-Heavies and Gargants, they haven't.  Some of what they do has changed, though, like the Chariot.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."