News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

How involved are in you in 40k?

Started by BigToof, October 11, 2014, 12:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
Just a question, but I've noticed that there seems to be a lack of activity since the new edition came out.
Are people still playing/modeling using the new edition or have a lot of people decided to sit this one out?
I'm playing, but not as much as I used to and haven't really bought any of the new models.
I'm also still reading 40k novella and the like, but I must admit that I'm not buying all of the new codexes and all, but that's just my IRL situation...
How is everyone else doing?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

I still model stuff, but I currently don't even have the time for that. I had kinda been put off 40k with prices, and the way my local GW stores run doesn't help me get any decent games in.

I also have been steering away from 40k and onto a different game system. I'm sure you've seen my ramblings about Void :P Though i've yet to have a proper game of it, the rules (as I understand them) seem to suggest a much more tactical and fast paced game. I've also been trying to keep pace with Afterlife which is from another company as well.

I still love a fair number of GW models (recent releases not anyway near my current faves list) and I do have a soft spot for creating newinteresting army ideas that I would want to build, such as my Necrostartes.

As I mentioned a bit, I currently don't really have the time for much. I work four days a week and study the other three :(

I'm willing to chime into dicussions though, provided I have some sort of opinion on the matter :P

Mabbz

The simple answer is that I have no money. Obviously this has stopped me buying anything new for a while (including the latest rulebook), but more importantly it's stopping me from regularly buying the bus fare I need to get to GW for games. I have managed to get my hands on a pirated copy of the new rules, as well as the Tau and Space Marine codices, but obviously walking into GW with print-outs of them would be something of a faux pas.

That said, the lack of a job has the upside of giving me lots of free time. That, combined with my recent discovery that my phone's camera isn't bad, has managed to remove most of the excuses I've been using to avoid starting a Covert Operations RP here. I'm left with just a lack of terrain as my final excuse, and that's a terrible reason when I remember previous 40k based RPs using books and stuff as scenery.

In short, I play as often as I can afford, but that's about it.

GreaterGoodNewZealand

Plainly put, I can't afford it and I've been suffering a lack of motivation. The models, which I do love, are out of my price range by at least one order of magnitude, and with the local GW closing tomorrow I won't be able to afford the bus/train fare to get to the one in town (it's $5 one way). Being a student who can't find a job really doesn't help, but I think the motivation is my main killer. With severe mental illness comes severe inabilities to want to do anything at all, regardless of what it is.

All in all, for me it's a combination of being priced out by several orders of magnitude and crippling mental illness that are keeping me out.
I wrote a tabletop war game! It can be found here  http://thatkiwiguy.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/5/ -  if people wish to read the rules. Still working on some of the factions and most of the background.

Tom

Infinity is heaps cool... this is all.

More seriously - I'm not very impressed with the new edition being so close to the old one (in time and in rules) and it seemed like a big investment to switch from something I wasn't really finished with yet. That coincided with starting infinity in a big way and I haven't looked at 40K for a while. I never really played too often though and I'm more of a painter and collector anyway.

The Man They Call Jayne

I still play at the local gaming club, but I have mostly moved over to MTG and some RPGs. I have the stuff I need and want, I'm probably not going to get into 7th in a big way, it's too soon really.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Disatisfied with the new dex's i've seen in this current edition (Orks and DE). Very little new content, they could've at least added in more customisable options or fix some of the useless units instead of essentially charging over 80 bucks for what could've been accomplished with a changelog page.

I'm actually in a 40k tourney late this month, called Orktoberfest. Should be fun. Still...infinity is looking tempting...as is a house-ruled version of infinity set in the 40k universe...coz even though the rules are on the downside...the hobby side of warhammer seems more appealing to me with every day i age...

Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Cammerz

My local gaming club closed over the summer so the only games I can get nowadays are when I host them at my house with a friend who's borrowing one of my armies. I still haven't got the latest edition of the rulebook (although I mainly blame Total Wargamer for that) but I'm happy enough using 6th edition.

I haven't bought much in the way of new models recently although I finally finished the IG battleforce I've had sitting on the sprue for a couple of years. But time is a major factor nowadays as I'm into my final year at university and other hobbies have taken precendence. The closest things to 40k I'm doing regularly are the Dark Heresy RPG and a recently established Mordheim campaign.

I'd certainly like to do more in the way of 40k, maybe put up some battle reports, but who knows when that'll be.

salamut2202

I sometimes play more formally but for the most part I'm playing smaller games with friends. in a very relaxed fashion - with 4th edition rules and codexes. Yeah, that bad :D

Other than that, Dropzone Commander, Infinity, Herands of Ruin:Kill Team and Dust are just more worth my free time - and that's another consideration too. Study, work, relationships. Within and without the hobby, things are just coming before GW's racy updates.

That being said, I keep an eye open. I'll download the pirated new books, I'll have a gander at the new models and what's happening with the End Times stuff is really exciting. Learning and playing on a regular basis, however, is lost on me. And it's not support of the looming company either - those who still consume what they're putting out don't mind not supporting them either with torrents being the new book store and pirate casters/3rd paties being the new store shelves, if I had a problem with supporting the company while still enjoying their content I would do it.

I don't know why I'm being pushed away. Forgeworld's Heresy stuff has a loit of people hooked. In game and story, it's just fucking funner. I'm not enjoying the newer structure of 40K. I don't when I fell out of love with it exactly but it's been a developing strain. The thing is the things that we've been doing a long time, we;ve been doing informally for a long time. Break the force-org/ally for a narrative? Sure! But that was special. Now 40k seems, I don't know, messy? I mean, yeah, the codexes are being streamlined to the point of flavourless but there's so many datsltes and formations tht re now seeming standaard in list building that, well, nah. Yeah, me and friends have messed with the game, but it had a solid foundation. Now we're not really messing based on stuff. I don't know, it's not specil anymore.

There we go, unfocused rambling. I guess all in all it's complicated.

Irisado

I can no longer afford to play 40K, so I've stopped completely now.  I don't much care for how the rules have changed either.  The 'bigger is better' concept doesn't sit well with me.  40K should not be used for titans, superheavies, Knights, and all these other shiny toys that keep being thrown at it.  Those units belong in Epic in my opinion.

In some ways, it's a shame, because I've played every edition, including Rogue Trader, but it's time to move on and do new things with my life :).  I still like certain games, such as Epic, and I'll be keeping my 40K Eldar army because I love all the old models.  I very much doubt I'll ever return to play the game again though, not for any sustained period anyway.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Narric

Quote from: Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus on October 12, 2014, 10:20:16 AM
Still...infinity is looking tempting...as is a house-ruled version of infinity set in the 40k universe...coz even though the rules are on the downside...the hobby side of warhammer seems more appealing to me with every day i age...
Thats certainly something interesting to consider. Infinity is free to download, and surely with a couple tweaks it couple fit the 40k models :)

Count me in if you want to try that, especially if you can play Vassal :P

KCKitsune

Quote from: Irisado on October 12, 2014, 04:09:40 PM
I can no longer afford to play 40K, so I've stopped completely now.  I don't much care for how the rules have changed either.  The 'bigger is better' concept doesn't sit well with me.  40K should not be used for titans, superheavies, Knights, and all these other shiny toys that keep being thrown at it.  Those units belong in Epic in my opinion.

In some ways, it's a shame, because I've played every edition, including Rogue Trader, but it's time to move on and do new things with my life :).  I still like certain games, such as Epic, and I'll be keeping my 40K Eldar army because I love all the old models.  I very much doubt I'll ever return to play the game again though, not for any sustained period anyway.
I agree that ALL super heavies need to be taken out of the game... or at least put into games that are 3000+ points.  I was in a 1850 tourney and somebody brought a Warhound titan!  I mean REALLY?!?

Quote from: Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus on October 12, 2014, 10:20:16 AMStill...infinity is looking tempting...as is a house-ruled version of infinity set in the 40k universe...coz even though the rules are on the downside...the hobby side of warhammer seems more appealing to me with every day i age...
I, too, would like to know if you can get these house rules up and running.  I am tired of GW making you buy their latest and greatest hotness, or your army sucks.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

Hmm, some support for me doing up some houserules. Tell you what, I have a tourney on the 25th-26th which i need to prepare for, but after that I'm going to start on this project. Could be fun! :)
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Irisado

Quote from: KCKitsune on October 12, 2014, 10:01:26 PM
I agree that ALL super heavies need to be taken out of the game... or at least put into games that are 3000+ points.  I was in a 1850 tourney and somebody brought a Warhound titan!  I mean REALLY?!?

Precisely what I mean :).  If you're just playing with friends, as I used to, then it's not so much of a problem, as groups of friends tend to play the game in a similar way, but if you go to a tournament, even a more relaxed one, there's always bound to be someone who pulls a stunt like that.  Yet, there's nothing you can say, because the rules allow it.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

KCKitsune

Quote from: Irisado on October 13, 2014, 09:07:51 PMPrecisely what I mean :).  If you're just playing with friends, as I used to, then it's not so much of a problem, as groups of friends tend to play the game in a similar way, but if you go to a tournament, even a more relaxed one, there's always bound to be someone who pulls a stunt like that.  Yet, there's nothing you can say, because the rules allow it.
If I were running the tourney, I would not allow super heavies.  40K is about skirmish level combat, not major battlefields.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies