News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

22nd Delton Eagles

Started by Jonagon, November 03, 2014, 08:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonagon

Hey guys, I've started a new project, hoping to get back into 40k a little.

So, painting an army again for the first time in ages..

Imperial Guard storm troopers... so far just the first few bases are done, aiming for a fairly quick job:

<< Checkword #d9-alpha
<< Deployment confirmed>>
<< Planet Type: desert world>>

<< Transmission Ends>>

So the first bases are done, they ended up a little less orange than I'd hoped and I think I should have added some sand to get them more desert like but I'm happy enough with them, should provide a good counterpoint to blue tones on the troops.

I will need to blend the metal parts into the base with some orange 'dust' but I'll do that near the end.

Narric

Must be testing some optic camoflague :P

Bases are looking great. Looking forward to seeing the models you'll be putting on them :)

Tom

I particularly like the cracked earth effect. Is that GW's Agrellan Earth being put to good use? If so it looks a lot better than any of their demonstrations. For the orange dust are you going to use weathering powders or paint?

Jonagon

Thanks guys. Yeah it's agrellan, some Cork and some of their mud.

Probably just use paint for these. I've used pigments on display stuff but I'd worry about it coming off gaming bases.

Tom

I've got a similar worry. I guess you could seal it with some light spray varnish but I always worry that varnish will change the finish of the model too much. That and I've learned to get most of the effects I'm after with paint.

... those pigments always look good though....

Thantos

Agrellan Earth - awesome! - You just sold me a pot of that stuff! You should be on comission from GW ;)

Looking forward to seeing what will go on the bases :)

Jonagon

Ha.  I've finished 2 models.  Hope to get some photos later. I've got a better base made with agrellan, I'll try and get pics of that too.

Jonagon

Here is the base I did for that Infinity miniature I was going to paint, same techniques but also using bits of dried and broken up milliput.

Also I skimmed then sanded the back smooth because it was for display.

Jonagon

I've finished the first unit! Armoured sentinels, I don't know why I always make glowy bits purple, I always regret it afterwards! Fairly pleased with the speed at which these came out though (only a handful of hours).

The freehand is a bit janky too, but that's what you get for a quick job!

Narric

Fantastic work :D Can we see more close-ups of the Plasma Cannons? Or is the glow effect not up to your par?

Looking forward to seeing what the infantry will look like. :) Hopefully human ;) :P

Tom

Really nice - the grey blue contrasts very well with the orange bases. Perhaps making the freehand numbers more roman in style? More complicated in design but actually easier to get away with painting quickly because the curved edges are more forgiving. I like the plasma cannon heat damage effect too. Do you think the exhausts might benefit from a quick addition of some soot or do you like them clean?

Jonagon

Thanks, yeah good call on the freehand. :)

The glow is certainly not up to par, or particularly glowy really, I'll get some pics next time I have the camera out.

I think I'd like to weather them a bit more now I think on it, so might come back to them at some point to do that.

Jonagon

The first troops are done!

Hopefully someone can show me how to play the game with my mad 250 pt skillz: