News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

New Tyranids and GW GIVING AWAY RULES?

Started by BigToof, November 08, 2014, 11:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
Not sure how much in the know everyone is, but New Tyranid models are popping up (including a Monstrous Creature Drop Pod??).

The news that hit me the hardest though, is that GW is giving out FREE rules for some of the models on their Black Library site.

And from what I hear, the models are actually... pretty good.  Some of them anyway.

'Nid users, I'll leave the floor open here.

Everyone else?  I don't know.  This is a strange new world we're living in.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Mabbz

I hadn't heard this, but I have one thing to say. The drop pod things, you mean mycetic spores right? As I recall, they've had rules for some time now, but GW never made any models for them.

BigToof

Hi Mabbz,
There's actually a lot more than that.

The one getting the most talk is the Tyrannocyte which is about 75 points, comes with 5 upgradable guns (upgrade includes BARBED STRANGLER) and is a T5 monstrous creature that can MOVE around and attack.  Oh, and yes, it CAN fire all guns.

And it has the Drop Pod ability to rarely mishap.

AND it doesn't cost an FoC slot or act as a dedicated transport.

The other options are the Sporocyte, which gives out a sizable boost to nearby units including  synapse and has INFILTRATE.

The other option is a cheap (we're talking the cost of a single marine) unit that can ASSAULT FLIERS.  Granted it explodes as it does so, but damn if this isn't a great precedent!

And the wave isn't even done yet!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Narric

Mycetic Spores seems to have had a rename..... Sporocyst, and Tyrannocyte. Seems you can actually make more than just those two from the kit.

Where are these free rules? I see no mention of it on the GW entries, nor on Black Library.

When GW start actually showing unit entries in the product description again, then is when we can say we're in a strange new world ;)

BigToof

It's for the two MC's not for the spores yet.

Malanthrope and the bigger Venomthrope bug.

If you go to the "Rules" subsection there's this button for "FREE DOWNLOADS."

It may be a pale comparison to what the GW site once was, but I think the message is starting to come across:

PREVIEW YOUR RULES AND PEOPLE WILL ORDER MORE.

Or at least I hope it is.

Oh, and I never thought I'd say it, but thank you THANK YOU GW for putting models out of cycle.

Although I would need a sweet-looking Vect in a pimped-out Dias to make it all good

Best,
-BT

Edit:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Home/free-to-download.html

Found it!

Edit #2:

Wait...  Wait...

The bugs are getting back Doom (Neurothrope?) and getting a Venomthrope plastic set?  Say it ain't so!
BigToof Points:

Thantos

I do love nids and these new kits are great.
But the maleceptor bugs me (bam-dum-tis) in that it is a pure psycic beast like a zoanthrope, but it looks more like a fex. Id have liked it if they had stuck more to the floating brain theme for this one. I wonder if jes goodwin was involved in designing it?

When i get time to get back into actually doing the hobby again - ill likely sculpt this guy into a floating gribbly.

Tom

I agree about the Maleceptor - should have suck with the floating brain theme. It looks clumsy to me. I guess that GW want every kit to make two things if they can.

Kur'os

Though I have yet to pick one up, I actually like the way the Maleceptor looks.  It's larger than a Carnifex and packs a decent punch in melee.  To me it represents a "heavy / tank" Zoanthrope.  Both a synapse conduit for the Hive mind AND a beat stick; like a Hive Tyrant, but less important overall...

The Tyrannocyte / Sporocyst model & rules are what have me in a buzz.  I was very sad when the 'Nid update dropped their pods.  But now, we have mobile pods that can shoot like crazy!  Mine will be rocking the 5x barbed stranglers...

-Kur'os