News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

question about formations

Started by Fhanados, November 24, 2014, 12:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

Hi all.

Quick question for anyone still out there playing 7th ed: Do units purchased as a part of a formation still count as the relevant troop type? For example if I take the Hellbrute formation that includes a helbrute and two units of cultists do the cultists count as troops choices and the helbrute as elites? On the same note would they occupy a slot on the force org chart?

BigToof

Well, most people from what I've seen have been using two sources.
The "CAD" or allies detachments are the only ones that give you the standard advantages, like objective secured and re-rolls to any warlord trait roll.
Otherwise, the detachment units do not have obj secured and can be wildly different.
The Hellbrute detachment, for example, don't count as elite or troops, but instead as their own units that can capture objectives, but don't get the objective secured advantage.
So if you play Chaos, you can use CSM and a Hellbrute detachment as your two sources.
I would talk with your group though, as opinions do vary...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Fhanados

So for all intents and purposes the formation is a separate detachment and not really part of your core. Force? Well that makes it simpler. Thanks!

Charistoph

Quote from: Fhanados on November 24, 2014, 07:40:41 AM
So for all intents and purposes the formation is a separate detachment and not really part of your core. Force? Well that makes it simpler. Thanks!

Pretty much.

From the BRB:
"Formations are a special type of Detachment... Whilst some Formations provide you with all the gaming information you will need to use them in your games, it is not uncommon for them simply to describe a number of special rules that apply when you include several specific units together. Instead of including a Force Organisation chart, the Army List Entries that comprise a Formation are listed on it, along with any special rules that those units gain. Unless stated otherwise, each individual unit maintains its normal Battlefield Role when taken as part of a Formation."

So, they retain their Roles, but that really doesn't mean much since those Roles aren't attached to any Command Benefits like CAD and AD provide.  It can prove useful in situations like the Scouring and Big Guns missions where the Roles have additional purposes, but that's about it.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."