News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Tau Trained Ork Stormboyz - A Commanders' Gambit or Chance for Ork integration?

Started by Narric, January 04, 2015, 10:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

This is a train of thought that was sparked on my way home from work.
A while ago I was speaking to @Wargamer about Books of Chaos* and how Khorne has respect/favour for Ork Stormboyz due to their potency and viciousness in combat being controlled by their want to be "regimented" and the like.

This got me thinking of what this could mean, and the idea came up that what would Tau do with "indoctrinated" Orks at their disposal? Would they be a further acception to Tau Doctrine of disdain for combat, or would it be reflective of a Commander or Coalition making use of the resources to hand?
Could Orks be trained in the Tau'va, and how would it affect their ability.

Fluff questions said, then their is Tabletop questions, such as where in the FOC would such a unit even be? Would their be some sort of "Orkish Drive" table the Tau player must roll for the unit in order to keep it in check? Would the unit be granted Tau weaponry?

In terms of fluff i'm not sure if it has ever been covered beyond the old story of Tau trying to convert Orks as a whole to the Tau'va, but failing due to their Chaotic nature, but as you know Stormboyz are adolescent orks being rebelious be doing drills and being orderly. Something that Tau Fire Caste probably do during peacetime or whilst they're at the Fire Caste training academies.

What do other people think on the subject?

*Books of Chaos
In third edition 40k, Chaos Armies gained specific benefits for feilding armies in a god or Legion specific way, the God focused tactics were written in the "Books of Chaos" a special section of the Chaos Marine Codex. These sections gavedeeper insight into what it meant to follow a specific gods path.

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric on January 04, 2015, 10:00:30 PM
This got me thinking of what this could mean, and the idea came up that what would Tau do with "indoctrinated" Orks at their disposal? Would they be a further acception to Tau Doctrine of disdain for combat, or would it be reflective of a Commander or Coalition making use of the resources to hand?
Could Orks be trained in the Tau'va, and how would it affect their ability.

Young Orks could, but as they grew to maturity, they would resort to their natural chaotic selves.  It just simply wouldn't hold.  But in the meanwhile...

Quote from: Narric on January 04, 2015, 10:00:30 PMFluff questions said, then their is Tabletop questions, such as where in the FOC would such a unit even be? Would their be some sort of "Orkish Drive" table the Tau player must roll for the unit in order to keep it in check? Would the unit be granted Tau weaponry?

Well, going by Kroot and Gue'vesa rules, mostly they would operate using their own equipment, probably have more reliable jump packs, and the Nob could get a Pulse Rifle or Carbine if he wanted.  They would still operate under the Fast Attack slot, though.

Probably grow to be a lot like the Ork Clan that absorbed some of the 'Humie' training and made Kommandos, the Blood Axes.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Narric

Would it be in the Tau to try and alter the Orks' gentics to "breed" a clan/subgroup that arent' so violent? Maybe inadvertantly recreating the BrainBoyz?

Charistoph

Quote from: Narric on January 05, 2015, 07:01:38 PM
Would it be in the Tau to try and alter the Orks' gentics to "breed" a clan/subgroup that arent' so violent? Maybe inadvertantly recreating the BrainBoyz?

Anywhere outside the Farsight Enclaves, yes.  I could see some Water and Earth tribes putting in an attempt under the direction of an Ethereal.  It wouldn't be common, and just as likely end up destroyed like a similar Zerg/Nid facility would end up being, but attempts would likely be made.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

BigToof

It's an interesting idea, that might work if you have the right characters.
The Orks are strongly bound by their leaders, and if you have the right Warboss you never know...

That said, the Tau will probably reject them in the end as the Orks will eventually end up infighting and ruining the whole deal.

But until then, desperate alliances anyone?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3