News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Ice Basing

Started by Sorck, January 20, 2015, 06:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorck

I need some method of creating effective looking ice for bases. Or maybe creating a slushy effect. Or both. Snow alone doesn't look very good IMO. :P

Narric

Quote from: Sorck on January 20, 2015, 06:47:35 PM
I need some method of creating effective looking ice for bases. Or maybe creating a slushy effect. Or both. Snow alone doesn't look very good IMO. :P
Sheets of used lamination plastic and super glue could possibly work :)

SILK

Ice: For ice on a pond, blister packs with superglue on them. Build up a good layer on one side, make sure you have the odd blob here and there for thick ice. Paint the rest of the base and have a dark blue/ brown pool for the ice to go over. Stick the sheet so that it is a mm or 2 above the surface of the base. Gloss varnish the top layer to get that smooth look. Then finish adding on the base, masking the edges of the "ice" sheet.

For chunks of ice use rock salt with a layer of gloss varnish.

For icicles stick a flying base stand in a pencil sharpener (the thinner end) and make a point. Glue to the model with super glue (try and find some that make a cloudy effect when dry.) then apply gloss varnish all over, being careful to not make a bulb at the bottom of the point.

See? This might have been useful in the hobby board....

Narric

Considering what has turned up in the GED thread, I think I should probably start excerising my ability to split and make Threads.

Those sounds like good methods Silk, though some examples of the results and process would be much more sueful than just text descriptions. :)

SILK

I'll see if I can find some for you at some point. Don't worry - they are valid, just give em a shot.