News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Cleaning Issue - Super Glue

Started by Narric, February 04, 2015, 07:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Need some advice about how to clean off Super Glue. This morning the wife found her graphics tablet has a globe of what seems to be hardened super glue, right on the pen detection surface.

Does anybody know of any electronics safe methods of removing superglue that don't involve cut the affected area to pieces?

Masked Thespian

If it were something non-electrical I'd say put it in the freezer.  Superglue gets very brittle as the temperature drops, making it very easy to remove it from something that's been in the freezer for a few hours.

In this case I'd suggest getting an ice cube, if the glob is far enough away from any joints in the casing, or a reuseable freezer block if not, and directly applying the coldness to the glob itself.  It might take a little time, but hopefully you should be able to remove it with your fingernail.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

Narric

Neither freezing it nor applying frozen objects sees to be a viable option, I'm afraid :(

Sorck

I'd suggest you use a debonder such as http://www.supergluecorp.com/zap/zap-z-7-debonder

I've never used them with electronics but I don't think it'd be damaging (especially as it won't really be touching the inner part of it :P).

What you do is apply it in a blob over the super glue and leave it for a few minutes and then use a cloth to remove it. For a big glue patch you may need repeated applications. You may need to clean it with water afterwards just in case the residue causes issues.

Also, if the surface is fairly scratch resistant you could probably lever the superglue off the surface with a fine bladed knife.

Thantos

Yea id second that.
I have a load of spare pots, £2.65 for postage and one is yours ;)