News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Coloured Undercoats/Primers

Started by Narric, May 03, 2015, 10:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

something i've tried (with the wrong kind of paint) is priming my models with a coloured primer.

to me, the logic is that it allows youto get to painting your army to the colour you want a lot faster, but the downside is places where a black primer would have been most useful are primed as well.

Do many people do coloured priming much?

Also, I know a Gloss finish isn't going to be best, but does anyone know if a Satin or Matt finish is better?

Tom

I primed most of my Saim-Hann Eldar with Army Painter dragon red. Worked a treat on mostly red models. The longest step in painting was often carefully painting black areas black but given how much easier it is to paint black over red vs red over black that didn't bother me.

These days I prime with my airbrush and usually start with light grey. But I generally do the basecoat with the airbrush too if the majority of the model is one colour.

A gloss finish on your primer won't matter as long as your paint sticks to it OK. But that's for you to find out. I suspect you might find the end result a little less wear resistant than if your primer gave a matte finish for your paint to stick to.

Sorck

I've used black, white and red primer before (black from GW, others from Halford's) and I've found that GW paint adheres well to them all.

The red is particularly useful as, whilst not the red I want to end up with, it's a good basecoat so I can quickly overbrush some blood red (or whatever the modern equivalent is called) and then paint in the areas that need it (such as the joins in the knees).

I've also used some gloss paints that have been custom mixed and they are very shiny... too shiny for warhammer models IMO. However, if you don't mind shiny (and you intend to put a thin layer of varnish on the model once done so that it's all similarly shiny) then they work alright. However, they need to be sprayed on top of primer (so you still need a black/red/white/grey primer) but you can get very accurate colour replication. I've not had much issue with paint losing adhesion but I've never put these models through the wear and tear of rubbing up against foam in a case...

The only spray I currently suggest avoiding is the Halford's Matte Black (not a primer) as the adhesion qualities are poor these days. Varnish would probably help but I never feel my models are finished enough for varnish. :P

If you can get an airbrush to work then that will give you a much better result in all likelyhood. However it does require a lot of effort in my experience to get the consistency right (eases with practice) and to clean it out. You will still have to prime your model first.

Chris

I often use the Brown one, and am looking into the grey ones that are around....
They can be very helpful in adding natural shading to your base coat!

kingofmonkeys

I find black to be the most versatile primer but i've heard that brown works great. Interestingly enough I just got an ebay model that had been primed silver. Has anyone ever tried to paint over metallic primers? I'm not sure if i should try or strip it.

Quote from: Minako on February 22, 2007, 04:43:31 PM
I'll be under your bed!! So watch out! I poke!
#15 to the new world