News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

At what point do you lose interest in a game?

Started by Waaaghpower, October 01, 2015, 06:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

In another episode in 'Gaming questions that have excessively long post titles and heavily sumamrized stories to lead into them' with your host, Me!, I posit this question in relation to your 40k games:
At what point, due to bad sportsmanship, bad gameplay, or just plain bad luck, do you lose interest in any given game of Warhammer you happen to be playing?

I ask this after a couple games with somewhat comparable and relevant scenarios at my LGS, but which played out in very different ways. One was a team game that ended in curb-stompage against a poorly matched couple of lists, ending with a turn-2 rage-quitting for one of the guys on the other team (Along with some colorful language and a lot of pouting). The other was a more regular (No-formations,) game that ended in similar curb-stompage, but this time because a few minor mistakes and some really horrible dice throughout the game. (Starting with 8 failed 2+ saves out of 20 rolls, against a unit of Paladins. Even after FNP he lost 3 out of 5 guys before they could so much as move.)

For me, I generally won't concede a game before turn 3 no matter how poorly I'm doing, (Bottom of four is my rule of thumb, depending on context,) but in circumstances like these games, I can't help but wonder what I would have done in the other guys shoes, on the end of a massive beating that, for one reason or another, I can't seem to do anything to stop.

So, onto the question: What would it take for you to concede a game? What would it take for you to pack up and leave before turn three, or even earlier? What matters most to you, the reason you're losing, the degree of ass-kicking, the way you're opponent's handling it?
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Narric

For me personally, I loften don't lose interest unless something outside of the game changes, often its a case of a game taking too long.

With Warhammer in the past, and Magic for now, even when I'm spiraling down into an overkill lose, i still have fun. Often I'll be personifying my creatures and my Planeswalker avatar.

On the flip side, I try to avoid going for outright victory over my opponent unless I'm on some sort of timer for defeat. Against newer players I'll often ensure that I'm teaching them tactics or about their cards midgame, rather then slaughter them and then say what they did wrong. It makes the games more interesting, and certainly I hope it gives the newer players reason to keep going.
Against older more experienced players, I'll often be more serious, but I'll still keep an air of fun and easygoing-ness.

Warhammer was often more frustating. :P

The Man They Call Jayne

I find I get bored if the game drags and I am just getting the bad rolls. If the game is at the point where my ability to win is just not in my hands thanks to bad dice, and I have lost so much of my army that I cannot really make a come back from it, I would rather stop playing and concede.

Of course, if both sides are rolling badly, then the game can become quite a good laugh when it drags on and both players make fun of it.

So I suppose it is very contextual.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Mabbz

Similarly to Narric,the only time I have ever conceded a game before the last turn was when their was a time limit, other people were waiting for the table to become free or I wanted to move on to another game. I suppose it helps that I've never played against . When I'm losing horribly, I usually point at whatever unit has been the most aggravating and say "You. I hate you. If I can kill you, then I will die happily."

It helps that I have never played against any complete jerks. The closest I've gotten is playing against a guy who was blatantly cheating; he claimed his dad worked for GW and had given him insider information on the upcoming Eldar codex and insisted on using it. Said information included infinite range mind war without LoS and an avatar that regenerated D3 wounds per turn automatically. Even then I let him get away with it, and had some fun trying to beat the cheese (my kroot shaper survived three game turns of combat with the avatar!).

On the flip side, I once managed to wipe out half an opponents army in turn one (artillery is awesome), leaving him with no way attack me in his turn. His reaction? He laughed at his bad luck, and we decided to change the objectives so he would earn VPs for any unit that escaped the board. And so we managed to have a full, fun game despite a situation that could easily have resulted in a ragequit.

So in conclusion, I don't quit. I re-evaluate the situation and change my goals accordingly.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

It depends not only on the circumstances in the game but also the other player(s) reactions to it. I've had games where I've lost a few key units, known I've had no chance and conceded turn 3 because my opponent decided to be an asshat about it, I've had other games where I've been losing by the same margins, if not more, and fought on till the last turn/wipeout because my opponent wasn't being a complete tool. So for me it's not so much the time involved or powergaming etc. that'll make me walk away, it's how the person deals with the situations.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Wargamer

Something I've found playing online with BB2 is that stalling tactics really drive away interest in a match. It's one thing to be winning; it's quite another to rub someone's face in it and deprive them any chance of clawing the game back.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system