News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Storm Surge, Most Hideous Model ever?

Started by KCKitsune, October 19, 2015, 10:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCKitsune

OK, everyone, is it me, or does anyone else thing that the Storm Surge is the most hideous model ever?

Let's take its bad points one at a time:

• Exposed Pilots... EXPOSED PILOTS?!?  Really GW? Really?
  • No Arms.  How the hell does this thing stand back up is it's knocked over?
  • The Stablizers look horribly awkward.  They don't look like they would stabilize crap
  • Two heads?!?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm using a Riptide base and then adding the weapons from the Storm Surge to it.  I'll use 6 SMS pods to represent the multi-rocket pods, the secondary weapons I'll add to the arms, and the 4 seeker missile looking things I'll add to the lower legs.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

Narric

Without knowing any of the models fluff, its hard to really judge the design beyond comparing to previous models and previously defined fluff.

Exposed Pilots and dual heads doesn't make a whole lot of sense. An argument could be made that the two heads are for the weapons to be targetted independantly, and so two pilots are need, but that still leaves the gapping question of the open-topped cockpit....

Arms aren't exactly beyond design, as seen with the Bird of Prey Typhoon:
Spoiler
However that would have made the shoulders and back increadibly cluster, and so perhaps and underarm design would have been better.

The stabilizers don't look good either, for the reasons you've said. for such a top heavy mech, the most logical choice, in my mind, would have been a tripod platform. Though this may not work so well with Tau aesthetic, it would have made more sense as a tripod is leagues more stable than a biped.

Considering the amount of plastic, I can't help but feel there is a lot of blank slabs of "Metal" that are likely meant for the hobbyist to fill with whatever their imagination dictates, or for Sept specific iconography.

As a it, it would be very expensive conversion fodder, and I'd likely not build it for the intended purpose. I'd likely cannabalize the weapons onto a Riptide, as they do look impressive. Here they're just poorly placed and feel slapped together onto a hulking mess of a mech body.

KCKitsune

Quote from: Narric on October 19, 2015, 11:57:46 PMI'd likely cannabalize the weapons onto a Riptide, as they do look impressive. Here they're just poorly placed and feel slapped together onto a hulking mess of a mech body.
Exactly.  With a Riptide you can place the big gun under an arm and set the feet as if the Riptide is bracing for salvo fire.  The Storm Surge is just too ungainly for a "real" mech.
From the Makers of Lemon Flavored Kitten souls, comes the newest in Taste Sensations... Mutant Evil Sauce(tm)*!

Mutant Evil Sauce is Good(tm) on EVERYTHING

* == Evil Snacks Inc is not responsible for any uncontrolled outbreaks of flesh eating zombies

Waaaghpower

Anyone else think it looks like he's popping a squat?
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Narric

Quote from: Waaaghpower on October 26, 2015, 11:39:47 PM
Anyone else think it looks like he's popping a squat?
Thats more an unfortunate sideeffect of the posing. Any gunman who has to keep modile, but needs to postion themselves to keep steady to fire weapons would crouch down and brace. IT perhaps one of the few things this model does right, but aspects surounding that fact (like the high heels supports) ruin the overall appearence.

Irisado

I'd not previously heard of this model, but I'm very out of touch with new releases these days.  For anyone else who has not seen it, take a look at the picture on GW's website.

I'm not impressed.  It lacks the sleek design that I associate with Tau, and looks overly bulky and clumsy.  That said, it's definitely not the worst model that GW has ever produced.  There are plenty of other candidates for that.  It's probably the worst model that GW has ever produced for the Tau though.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente