News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Baneblade scenario, suggestions needed please

Started by Zackdanials, December 10, 2015, 07:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zackdanials

Howdy.

So as a Christmas present/thank you for the lifts to work I recently gave my friend a baneblade tank and we were trying to come up with a scenario based around it. This a rough draft and I was wondering what you guys thought.

Title: Bring it down!

Fluff: the enemy has been reinforced with a super heavy vehicle which could turn the tide in their favour. Your scouts have discovered its location at a small hidden base. It must be destroyed at all costs.

Points: the attacking army must be twice the points of the defenders (does that sound fair?)

Deployment: short table edges (can't remember what that's called) roll for sides as usual, defending player sets up first, however the attacker gets the first turn.

Special rules: night fighting, secondary objectives, reserves (attacker only)

The Target: the defending army must include one (and one only) super heavy vehicle or walker or one gargantuan creature (may not be flyers). Any defending unit within twelve inches of this model counts as fearless. If the attackers destroy this unit they receive three victory points. If this unit is still alive at the end of the game the defenders receive three victory points instead.

Defence works: the defending player may take one free aegis defence line with one upgrade. They may also take one of the following for free: bastion, sky shield landing pad.

Sentries: the defending player must take one free troop choice. This unit does not take up any slots in a detachment but must be from the same faction as the defenders primary detachment. The unit may take one free special weapon but may not take any heavy weapons. This unit must deploy at least twelve inches away from either sides deployment zone.

Surprise attack: the defenders units may move as normal from their first turn but may not make any shooting attacks until the attackers do, or the attackers move within twelve inches of the sentry unit described above at which point the sentries raise the alarm.

At any cost: any troop unit from the attackers army that costs less than 100 points receives this rule. If the unit is completely destroyed or falls back off the table they are entered into ongoing reserves.

So what do you think? My main concern is it may be a bit complicated. Also should the target unit be free up to a certain amount of points? For example a baneblade costs a lot more than a wraithknight which obviously affects what else can be included in the army. Any advice would be grand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigToof

First off, great to see that you're thinking of your own missions!
It's always a fun exercise, and it might be best to think about what armies you are going to be playing with the Baneblade.
I assume the Baneblade player will be using IG/Astra Militarum, so it would make sense that they have the Baneblade as well as Fortifications.
I would try to keep it simple, if only to make sure that you both don't lose track of any rules.
It might be interesting to see if you can have the Baneblade owner start with a relatively few number of units (half or less) and then have everything come in on reserve.
The Attacker should always have first turn, but it would be actually interesting if they don't have any reserves, but must try to destroy the Baneblade before being destroyed.
Superheavies usually do give free VPs as a base, and you could use victory points from destroyed to see who wins overall in the end.
I would try to make sure that you both have enough points, if only to keep the Baneblade from sweeping out the attackers in the first few turns.  Maybe give infiltrate or stealth/shrouded to the attackers?
Let us know how it goes!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Charistoph

Interesting modification of the Battle Missions scenario.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Waaaghpower

I'm... Seeing some technical problems here.
Namely, the "Surprise Attack" rule is broken. Very broken. It gives massive advantages to armies which prefer melee, while having the potential to wreck any army which relies on shooting.

Also, the "Free troop unit" thing is wildly imbalanced from army to army. There's two ways to read it: Either you get a single, stock troop unit with a single free special weapon, but can't take anything else at all, or you get a single troop choice that can take any upgrades or extra bodies it wants, except that it can only take one special weapon and no heavy weapons.
Either way, you're tilting the scales hugely one way or the other. Armies with good stock troops that already cost a lot will have a huge advantage with the first option, armies with big squad sizes will have a huge advantage with the second option. (Just doing the math, Space Marine squads pretty much cap out at 200 points, but Orks can get up to 350 points in a squad, and Guardsman can go all the way up to 600. And this is assuming you don't allow Transports.)

Meanwhile, at any cost gives huge rewards to armies with cheap, useful, fast troops. Since the table will be played lengthwise, footslogging squads like Ork Boys will be all but out of the game by the time they die, respawn, and come back. But, say, three Space Marine Bikers with a melta bomb, combi-grav on the sergeant, and gravgun on a biker, now that's only 93 points and it will be able to get back in the thick of things in just a turn or two.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Zackdanials

Thanks for the comments guys, apologies for the delayed response but Christmas kind of got in the way.

You're right there Waaagh, that rule is very broken now I look at it. How about if I mix it with big toofs suggestion like so:

Surprise attack: all units from the attacking army count as shrouded until they make a shooting attack.

That way they can still be shot at but in a fluffy way as the defenders aren't exactly sure where the enemy is, hence the cover save (sounded better in my head) Or simply change the rule to 'dawn raid' or something and have night fighting automatically in effect for the first turn.

I should scrap 'at any cost' I think, having more points than the defenders makes it redundant anyway.

Hmmm...sentries. See, I really like the idea so I want it in some form. How about a troop unit that costs no more than 100 points and can't take a transport? That sound fair?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Narric

Sentries
From what I remember about most armies, 100pts may not fetch many boots on the ground, and considering most would be ssingle wound boots, they'd be easy to pick off.

Why not one free troop choice, but with no more than twelve models? Assuming your defending player goes fluffy and with scenario, that shouldn't make the defending trops choice too over powered. If you play this scenario a few times, increasing or decreasing the model cap will likely present itself, but keep in mind different factions will react differently within it.

For Surpise Attack, I'd say include when the attacking side declares a charge. Not every faction has stealth trained troops, and if you're attacking a strategic location,, you're not going to be pulling any punches.

Back to my opening point, 100pts seems too low to trigger "At Any Cost" and I'd say at least 200-250pts would trigger it, becuase if you're throwing that kind of firepower and recources into an offensive, you're definately going to ensure it does what its intended to do.

Thats just my thoughts on the subject :3

Waaaghpower

Narric, a model cap still screws things up. Orks or Guardsman only get maybe 70 points from that (Yes, they can throw random upgrades on whoever, but it's still not that great,) but Marines still get their full 200-points of models, and if you end up fighting against Grey Knights or anyone else who can take 40 point models as troops, you're looming at easily five times the unit value that some armies would get.

Narric

Maybe both then? Model cap and 100pts cap. Whichever gets hit first?

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Narric on January 02, 2016, 12:55:55 AM
Maybe both then? Model cap and 100pts cap. Whichever gets hit first?
With a 100 point cap, you don't really need a model cap. Amd, at that point, you may as well just give the defenders 100 bonus points and say "One troop choice must be nominated as..."