News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

WH40k: Gamers Edition (AKA the death of fluff?)

Started by BigToof, December 19, 2015, 01:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
Just noticed something on Black Library.
Apparently they are now offering IBook "Gamers Editions" of a codex for HALF PRICE.
I thought this seemed ludicrous, but then looked at it more.
Apparently there is no fluff, but just rules.
Is this a good model for the future?
How much would you pay for the fluff in a Codex?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

While there may be a minority of players out there who only want rules, I'm sure I speak for the majority when I say that the 40k universe (and the pre-AoS fantasy world) are fantastic settings, the factions often have brilliant histories and even the briefest glance at a Black Library book will reveal the great scope for fiction we have to play with.

But I suppose there may be some reasons to get these 'gamers editions', but only if:
- You have a physical copy so you already own the fluff and simply want a digital ruleset for when you're going away to compete,
- You have a previous edition's codex and only a negligible amount of new fluff has been added to a later edition,
- You refuse to accept the new fluff for an army and will play using new rules but old fluff (eg. Necrons will always be high-tech metal zombies with no individual personalities and they are subservient to the C'tan, anything post-3rd edition that says otherwise is wrong)

Narric

When I used to play, I mainly focused on the rules to help me structure my army correctly and the way I wanted it. The fluff often served secondary, as a source of inspiration to the armies I could create, and the styles of play I might utilise. Hence why most of my marine armies are likely similarly composed, yet due to unique rules have different playstyles.

GW/BL offering a rules only edition? Seems reasonable, and allows people to carry around just the necessities for Tournies or LGS pick up games.

From a marketing perspective, the mystery of why a certain faction works the way it does could lead to the player purchasing more lore focused books from BL, and fallig down the proverbial rabbit hole of backstory.

Is it something i'd say should be standard practice? No, but the option should be their so that seasoned players can grab the latest rules without having to throw out their favourite editions of a races/factions lore.

Looking at Cammerz response, I think some of my thoughts are similar on the subject.

Waaaghpower

Seeing as it's totally optional and not something that they've actually put money into (Digital ink is cheap, as they say, (Does anyone actually say that?)) I think it's a smart move. I personally like having the fluff attached, but I also know that there are large sections of my books (Especially my rulebook) which I've never so much as glanced at. While I hope they don't make it the standard practice and make the fluff-including books a rarity, special edition, or thing of the past, I don't mind it as a digital-only option.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.