News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Not a Fan of Killteam

Started by Waaaghpower, January 14, 2016, 09:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

So, I recently gpt my first chance to play a Killteam game.

And I have to say, I really don't care for it in the slightest.

The unit restrictions are neat, but the point values are so low that it badly unbalances an already badly balanced game. With only ten or twelve models on the board at best, (Unless you play a Horde,) you're ridiculously open to a couple bad rolls utterly devestating your game.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Cammerz

I personally quite enjoy Kill Team, list creation in particular, I once managed to cram one list full of 7 Nurgle Bikers (all T6).

The fact that each model counts as its own unit does increase survivability somewhat (multi-shot weapons being able to kill a maximum 1 enemy model per turn).

Games are quick so you can have a few in quick succession so even if you get the odd really unlucky game, the rest may well make up for it.

I'll also shamlessly plug my recent battle report containing two seperate kill team games (both with different armies), they were quick and fun, just as Kill Team should be.

Narric

Is this in a GW store, or playing the official version in your own place or gaming club? If its the latter, message Mabbz, as he was developing a revamp of Kill Team which you might like more, based more on the old version.

Mabbz

I, too, do not like Kill Team. Or at least, not the most recent versions of it. The first Kill Team rules I saw were the ones in the 4th ed rulebook, that were about infiltration missions, and I loved those. I loved them so much I wrote a 30 page reboot of it, which can be found in my signature and I am shamelessly plugging even though I haven't done anything to it in ages.

Anyway, back on topic, I think I don't like the modern kill team because it feels kinda... pointless. The older one filled a niche in the fluff; it let you run stealth games that were otherwise missing from 40k. The modern version is just a small group of individuals fighting each other. To me, it just feels like 40k, but smaller. Not saying it's worthless, but I would rather play proper 40k or the older Kill Team (or Covert Operations, see the battle reports board for some of my old playtests with Narric!)

Hmm...

So, I lost my job last week, and will have a lot more free time starting next wednesday. I wonder if I could run a short CO campaign in the time it takes me to find more work..?

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Narric on January 15, 2016, 12:15:32 AM
Is this in a GW store, or playing the official version in your own place or gaming club? If its the latter, message Mabbz, as he was developing a revamp of Kill Team which you might like more, based more on the old version.
Not an official GW store, but the official version at my gaming club. The particularly frustrating part, it was the opening game to our bi-annual "League", which this time is being run as a full on campaign. So, getting my ass stomped after two good rolls (On my opponent's side) killed two thirds of my army, was especially groan inducing.
The good news is, the only campaign effects it will have are giving the other guy a small advantage in our next game, (He gets to set the point cost and mission type,) but it was still very frustrating nonetheless to start the league off on such an annoying note.

I didn't mind the list-building limitations, I thought they added some interesting wrinkles to setup, but the "Three models of your choice get really great special rules" thing seems poorly thought out, and the tiny army size (We played at 200 points, and I was using Chaos Space Marines,) made survival once the game started very much a matter of luck, without enough bodies to even out the probability or averages, and especially without enough bodies to take a loss should the dice go badly.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Charistoph

There are a few groups doing alternatives to Kill Team.  A couple guys at my LGS were trying out the Heralds of Ruin adjustments yesterday, which take in to account things like facing of the model.  They seemed to be enjoying it.  It was Sisters vs 'Nids, with the Sisters outnumbering the 'Nids (Alpha is expensive apparently).

One of the guys is involved with the group that is helping out the developer and he's going to try and setup a weekly thing at a farther away LGS.  I'd be interested in it since I don't have much time to spend on the games.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Deraj

I actually enjoy the official kill team game. I get that it's open to abuse (but who wants to play the win at all cost type anyway?) and yes, it has smaller numbers, but to me it actually helps with the tactics of 40k on a larger scale. It really forces you to be fully aware of cover and to make damned sure you know whether you will do better shooting at a target or charging. The other thing I love about it is that if you have 5-10 models you can focus more time and effort on them than a 40-60 model army. From a collector's standpoint it's great to be able to collect small forces of every army to break out at will.