News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Formation Rules VS Mission Rules?

Started by Waaaghpower, February 29, 2016, 10:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

I'm going to try out the Wulfen campaign with a friend of mine!
But, there's a slight problem. Namely, some of the mission rules conflict with certain mandatory formation rules that I might want to take.

To be more specific:
In the mission, "As Above, So Below," the game is played on two separate boards, each a 24x72" segment. (The turns are played simultaneously.) The Space Wolf player is required to deploy all of his vehicles on one board, and all of his infantry on the other board. (The fluff explanation being that the one board is above ground, where the atmosphere is toxic, and the other board is below ground, where most Marine vehicles wouldn't fit.)

The only list requirements are that the Space Wolf player ONLY bring models with the Space Wolf faction.

However, this creates a problem: Several formations found within the supplement book, Champions of Fenris, require certain models to begin the game deployed inside vehicles. (Namely, a couple Terminator formations.) There are three possible interpretations I see:

One, Mission trumps Formation, the models have to be deployed outside of their transport.
Two, Formation trumps Mission, the models have to be deployed inside of their transport.
Three, a Paradox is formed, the formations simply can't be taken.

Thoughts?
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Mabbz

I would say go with the fluffiest option. Does it make sense for the infantry to have disembarked and joined the fighting underground while the vehicles fight on the surface? Or does it make more sense story-wise for the infantry to be deployed in the vehicles, and then maybe have them die instantly if forced to disembark (or maybe make up some rules for the toxic atmosphere, like every non-vehicle model takes a S5 hit at the end of each turn).

In short, I'd say it depends on the backstory.

Narric

Models aside, wouldn't it make sense that terminators, let alone Cosmic Puppy terminators would be able to handle the outside atmosphere? If the rest of the board is filled with tanks, it likely wouldn't lat anyway.
And Other units that could go by the same logic but aren't specified to be mounted in vehicles, can simply be said to be following orders and joining the infantry battle below ground.

If its all friendly, you and your friend(s) can simply make rules that suit the fluff as you understand it. So long as you make note in case it comes up later, to ensure consistency and fairness.