?

Can't find what you're looking for?

This topic might exist in our archive - Try Here

Author Topic: Afterlife - Sci-Fi Tabletop Wargame  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Narric

• Daemon Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart
Afterlife - Sci-Fi Tabletop Wargame
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:08:42 PM »
Made a post about this ages ago when it was first unveiled by Anvil Industries: http://secondsphere.org/index.php?topic=1507.0

Looking through the rulebook, (available here: http://anvilindustry.co.uk/AFTERLIFE), the best way I can describe this game is sort of like if Warhammer 40k and XCOM: Enemy Unknown got jiggy with it on a pile of D10s.

Its different from both in that you and your opponent alternate turns to "activate" your units. This idea has seemingly floated around in wargames for a while as Void and Leviathan (originally by I-Kore, now owned by Scotia Grendal) had the mechanic as well.

Your flavour from XCOM is the ability to put your models into Overwatch when you don't have a good shot, and the bonus of firing at someone at point blank range.
It also makes use of detecting enemy units, rather then you just dictating to your plastic men when and at who to fire. Depending on your luck, I can see this leading to enemy troops managing to slip by your forces.

It also puts a lot of emphasis on players agreeing on details beforehand, or in the moment using sensible logic. Such as whether of not a model would conceivably be able to move in certain ways. I foresee this leading to no two games ever truly being the same, unless you play three games back to back on the same board against the same opponent :P

The rules are presented mostly all together, but more advanced rules are highlighted, allowing you to ease yourself into the experience, rather than trying to understand everything at once.

More advanced rules include elements like Fog of War, remaining and regaining your hidden status, "Ghost deployment" (Think Genestealers in Space Hulk), and actions based on real life tactics such as a "Breach and Clear" of an enemy position.

Their are also named characters for each side, and the two opposing factions have specific special rules that can greatly benefit them.

I'll follow this post up with an Army list of the two Starter set available from Anvil Industries.

Offline Narric

• Daemon Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Karma 12
    • View Profile
    • Elsinqart
Re: Afterlife - Sci-Fi Tabletop Wargame
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 01:27:46 PM »
Using the Starter Sets created by Anvil, lets look at a pair of example Army Lists.

Afterlife Force Organisation:
- Per Core unit, you may have one Elite or Support unit.
- You can't have more Elite or Support units in total more than Core units. (For the sack of a decent mix of units, Anvil seem to have ignored this rule)

Unity Council Force:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Republic Force:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Comparison
The Unity units seem to focus more on range combat, with their Unity Guard units filling in to clear out enemy positions. The Spectre units can easily make use of being hidden, dealing damage and suppressing enemy units.
The Ajax Exo-Mechs have decent survivability, but likely will not be able to withstand prolonged bullet storms due to their high cost per model. They will be hit, and then it will be up to their armour to keep them on the field. Chances are your opponent will target them with their strongest guns equipped to their best shooters.

The Republic units seem to gravitate towards high manouevre ability, and high rate of fire. Most of the units are fairly tough, so may not be picked off as easily from silenced sniper fire. Their real strength is in close quarters, where their short ranged weapons can pack a serious punch, and if you move them correctly, can deal even more damage and negate their cover.
Unlike the Council Exo-Mechs, the Pulse Mech is good at avoiding fire and surviving it. I can see them being played as outflankers, or support that can relocate quickly.

anything