News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Afterlife - Corporate Crossroads Gaming Board PLOG

Started by Narric, January 06, 2017, 11:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Quote from: About AfterlifeAfterlife tells the story of society torn apart by civil war after the collapse of the Unity Council; a monolithic global governing body created almost two hundred years previously to lead humanity toward a bright and peaceful future.

After decades of brutal oppression by its ruling elites, the Unity Council's authority collapsed in the face of a popular uprising and the secession of dozens of major corporations to form the new Pan Continental Republic.

Now the planet burns. Sprawling hyper-cities, built for a world of prosperity, have become lethal war zones. Corporations, emergent governments, resistance movements and criminal elements engage in an escalating conflict for power, wealth or simply survival.

Earth is a battlefield. What will you fight for?

This project is for me to design, and build a 4'x4' game board for Afterlife. I have some large pieces of foamboard to use as a base, and will be doing the larger scale elementas of the design in Sketchup.

I started with a flat 4'x4' square, and after a little trail and error, decided to have the game board divided into quarters by a crossroads.

The line down the middle is where I'll be dividing the board between the two largest pieces of foamboard. At present I'm not sure if I'll have the buildings as seperate for easier packaging, or built onto the board for sturdiness.

I've so far roughly designed a "corporate" building that is three levels including groundfloor.

Currently thinking of having the north-eastern corner being some sort of low-cover park area, or packing space.

Looking forward to building this, as I'd finally have my own gaming board :3

BigToof

I'm so jealous, I've always wanted to make a big gaming board...
I've not heard of Afterlife before.
Are you involved in the development team at all or is this just for your own interest?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

Its not gonna be huge. Afterlife is smaller scale compared to 40k, but is a lot more intereactive. Click here for info, and free rules download :3

I'm not involved in its dev, but I will admit I've followed the company for a while XD

I've actually managed to finish a rough design of the crossroads now.

One "corporate" building, two blocks of small business/homes, and a park area. Seems fairly simple city to me. The gaps on the blocks are intended to be alley ways, and the rear walls have been removed from the buildings to allow for model placement on the ground and 1st floors.

The buildings in this design are roughly 1' tall, and have a groundfloor, 1st floor, and roof floor. At present they're set at about 6" apart, but I'll be double checking movement distances to account for how far models actually can move.

Not 100% sold on the park area, so am open to suggestions for that quarter.

BigToof

Looking good!
From reading the PDF files, it looks like cover is really important (tell me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see much besides saves for cover noted...).
If this is so, you might want to consider putting pillars or some kind of long, but not too tall bits of terrain there.
(Ad banners?  Junkyard?  Parking lot?)
BTW, the game sounds interesting, but I'm wondering how it plays.
It sounds mechanically similar to 40k or Infinity, but there's no melee?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

Quote from: BigToof on January 07, 2017, 01:31:09 AM
Looking good!
From reading the PDF files, it looks like cover is really important (tell me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see much besides saves for cover noted...).
If this is so, you might want to consider putting pillars or some kind of long, but not too tall bits of terrain there.
(Ad banners?  Junkyard?  Parking lot?)
I can add small movable barriers and suchlike to the roads, as cover can be important for squishier units. Heavier armoured units like Exo-mechs can risk standing out in the open, assuming a nearby enemy unit doesn't have anti-amour weapons.

If I had given myself more space, I could've done catwalks, but I think with the current design that wouldn't look so good.

Keep in mind the shop buildings will have doors and windows cut into them, which'll act as fire points and cover :3

Quote from: BigToof on January 07, 2017, 01:31:09 AM
BTW, the game sounds interesting, but I'm wondering how it plays.
It sounds mechanically similar to 40k or Infinity, but there's no melee?

Best,
-BT
Its closer to Infinite than 40k, and works best when both sides have roughly the same number of units. There isn't a point where one player will be sitting around doing nothing, as at any point during an enemy units' move, your units could spot them and open fire. Reaction fire is a constant element unlike Infinite where I think a model can only react once per game turn?

You can also play on smaller game boards, considering this is there demonstration board

I played a demo game with the devs at Game Expo 2016 on that board. It was made smaller (removed the higher building sections) for easier transport, but most of the game occured on the base and 1st level. Street level seems to be the most hazardous place to be.