News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Grotesques: The new Anti-Terminators

Started by BigToof, July 01, 2012, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

Hi All,
There's been a lot of hoo-ha about DE being knocked down a lot of pegs.
About how old lists won't work.
You know what?
It's true.

But some things need taking care of ASAP.

One thing we all can see is the soon-to-be proliferation of 2+ nonsense out there with the "nerf" to power weapons.

With some armies (GK) being able to field entire Terminator armies (or Paladins-yikes!) it seems like DE will be stuck out playing around with our AP3 weapons that just can't cut it anymore.

But there is salvation to stop the Termies!

With... the Grotesques!

I know, I'm going to get odd looks, but what you need is a bunch of Grotesques, 2 Haemonculi and an Aberrant.  First, give the Haemoncli and the Grots a Liquifier gun.  That should make most people nervous about charging them, and give you the necessary upgrade to fearless and "terminator target" as there's no way people are shifting you with S4 AP3 weapons.  Next, give the Aberrant a Power Axe.  This new Power Weapon (bought at the same price as the generic "power weapon" in the DE codex) makes the big guy attack last, but gives him S6, AP2 hits.  Enough to clean the clock of any terminator that dares show his face.  In addition, he can't be instant killed by something as piddly as a power fist, and can even take FNP against the hit.  As you now don't have to take fearless wounds it will be a LONG time before the Grots get ground down.

For additional defense, have a Rune of Warding Farseer around someplace on the board to discourage psychics and instant killing force weapons.

For extra OFFENSE, take an Archon with Shadow Field (2++), Power Axe (as above), Djinn Blade (in case you want to use your hella-high initiative).  The Archon can zip into any challenges to bail out your Aberration and has a LOT of attacks on his own.

So, it's not the end of the world.  Oh wait... It sort of was.

But now it's a different setup.  We have our ways...  :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

How does DE get access to a Power Axe? Will 6th ed have a "Generic Weapons and Gadgets" section like 8th fantasy?
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Begel Dverl

This seems cool, but how do Archons get Power Axes?

I don't have the cool new rulebook, so I don't know about getting different types of Power Weapons.

Narric

My guess for giving Power Axes to our DE, is to model as such. IIRC from rumours and what people have said about the new edition. Weapon characteristics are decided by what the model is equipped with WYSIWYG.

"Power Weapon" from what I understand is generic now, hence why its S: as user, and AP: 3. This probably accounts for swords and daggers. Axes are classed as different weapons, and so have different combat characteristics.

So start swapping that puny sword for a mighty axe on your Aberrent and Archons.

Grumpy Kwi

Narric has got the idea.

Power weapons are a generic term in the rule book. The Rule book asks you to look at the model to determine what the power weapon looks like and then use the appropriate ruleset. So if we purchase a power weapon for our Archon you can model any kind of power weapon into his/her hand and then use those stats.

For example:

You decide you want your Archon to use a power ax, you expend the points for the power weapon and model the weapon in his hand to be an ax (either by finding a bit that looks like an ax and actually glue/pin it on your Archon. Now you have an AP2 power ax that also grants you additional strength BUT lowers your initiative down to Initiative "1". If you keep the power weapon looking like a sword then it is just AP3 at your normal initiative.

It is kind of weird and plenty of room for abuse, you will now see a proliferation of power swords gone power ax in order to get it from AP3 to AP2.
Now that Nostradamus is dead there is a good chance he will not be writing the DE codex again.

BigToof

I especially like that Archons can take the Djinn blade without losing their Blaster/Blast Pistol option.
Although I can also see a lot of people "Dual weilding" and taking say one PF and one Lightning Claw or something like that...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Umm...point of interest, have you considered Beastmasters as our anti-TEQ? Beasts now ignore terrain and get 2d6 for charge, and Razorwings have Rending, so AP2 attacks all round, and 5 wounds each is very nice. Especially as they're not swarms. ;) They're remarkably cheap, and are among the fastest units we have since the changes to transports.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

BigToof

I've considered beasts as they did get a boost and thankfully still have rending.  But the only problem  is that if those termies have hammers/fists, they are blasting the birds apart on I1 unless you're really careful.  This edition is ALL about model placement, especially in assault.  I plan to take more beastmasters, if only to use them as disposable challenge units, so that Draigo or the like can only get one wound to combat res while we slowly pick them apart.
I'm also considering using beasts as my Farseer bunker, but still not sure...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: BigToof on July 06, 2012, 12:49:45 AM
I've considered beasts as they did get a boost and thankfully still have rending.  But the only problem  is that if those termies have hammers/fists, they are blasting the birds apart on I1 unless you're really careful
The thing is though, that was always the case regardless. The Beastmasters are one of the main anti-TEQ units we have now that Agonisers are only AP3. 6 attacks each on the charge packs quite a punch, giving us chance to rip them down before they can strike, and they're one of the fastest units we have with the new rules. And frankly, any unit we have will struggle with Fists/Hammers/Power Axes.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

crisis_vyper

Well....I guess it is time for me to model the 'Power Weapon of Dubious Recognition". It can be an ax, it can be a sword, it can be any weapon I want, and it will look like nothing. ::)

Seriously though, it is quite the interesting proposition to see Grotesque idea and Webway portals. I mean they can not charge out of it, but they are tough enough to survive it. And add that with an Ally psyker with the 4+ invul save and you actually get a decent build with the psychic casting. Eldrad can cast fortune, that 4+ invul save, and also the telepathy power called Invisibility and you will be golden.

Zeeblee

Forgive me if I'm blind, but how are you buying a power weapon on a Grotesque Aberration?

BigToof

Quote from: Zeeblee on July 07, 2012, 07:20:13 PM
Forgive me if I'm blind, but how are you buying a power weapon on a Grotesque Aberration?

I...
I...
Curses!  Foiled again!
Great catch Zeeblee.  Didn't even notice that they couldn't take it!

Sorry all.  Goes to show that you should check the rulebook before making grand assumptions...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: