News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Necron and 6th

Started by Fhanados, July 02, 2012, 01:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fhanados

Hi guys,

6th Edition is upon us and I had the pleasure of playing a little 500pt introductory game with my Imperial Guard nemesis. For the first time in over a year I gave him a sound beating! I won't go into the grueling details of the battle because there were a lot of fudged rolls and silly tactical decisions made by both of us as we adjusted to the new ruleset, but I'll give you the lists we used and a rundown on the rules I noticed that gave me the upper hand.

Guard
Primaris Psyker (Endurance/Puppetmaster)
Veteran Squad (10x Veterans, 3x Melta, Chimera with Multilaser and Heavy Flamer)
Veteran Squad (10x Veterans, 3x Melta, Chimera with Multilaser and Heavy Flamer)
Scout Sentinel (Autocannon)

Necron
Overlord (Warscythe)
Immortals (5x Immortals with Gauss Blasters)
Warriors (10x Warriors)
Destroyers (4x Destroyers, 1x Heavy Gauss Cannon)

We started off fairly far away from one another and although I wanted to keep my Warriors in cover to avoid the Autocannons, he outranged be and I had to move. I pretty much advanced straight forwards shooting until my Overlord assaulted a Chimera and a Sentinel, exploding the transport and wrecking the walker. By turn 6 I had mopped the floor with him and I still had more than half my army. So, here are some cool rules I enjoyed.

• New psyker powers are cool. I know I don't get any, being unliving metal abominations and all, but it was fun to see them in action. Neither had any real impact on the game mind you; puppetmaster was used on a warrior, who failed to wound the Destroyers, and the squad with Endurance failed so horribly at it's movement and assault rolls through terrain that I simply ignored them until it wore off.
  • Wound allocation - Taking casualties from the direction of the shooter is simple, pretty realistic, and a good way to kill meltagunners! A way to exploit this however is to position a character with a better save at the front of the unit (my lord only had a 3+, but with 2+/4++ this would work wonders). He then has to take wounds until he is dead before the rest of the unit suffers, but you can prolong his existance with "Look out sir!" rolls. Potentially, this could keep a big unit of warriors from being eaten by AP3/4 weapons although it is a risky strategy and requires sacrificial characters. Still, loads of fun!
  • Gauss. Gauss, gauss gauss gauss! Glancing a vehicle automatically takes off a hull point, and even my 10 man Warrior unit was able to take down a chimera in a single round of shooting and my Immortals KOd a Sentinel with glances alone!
  • Warscythes are not "Power weapons" per-se, so they don't have an AP value like power weapons do. Instead, no armour saves can be taken against it. This makes it even more value for points with the global power weapon nerf!
  • Rapid fire can now shoot max range even when moving. Not much more needs to be said, this is an obvious benefit.
  • Overwatch is pretty cool. I had no Tesla in my list but it would be awesome with overwatch! Combined with Gauss I was able to take a hull point off a Sentinel that charged my Warriors, before taking another off in an assault that could have easily lasted until the end of time in last edition...

So there's what I gather from my first fight in 6th! Share your experiences with Necrons in 6th, whether you creamed your enemy 10VP:3VP like I did, or if your outcome wasn't so great. Let our little community know what rules you love, what rules you hate, what benefits our glorious Dynasties and what aided the lesser beings in usurping our worlds!

Ibsalot

QuoteWarscythes are not "Power weapons" per-se, so they don't have an AP value like power weapons do. Instead, no armour saves can be taken against it. This makes it even more value for points with the global power weapon nerf!
Warscythes are now Ap 1, so they are even better than before :P

Fhanados

I haven't got to reading that part of the rulebook (or FAQ), but that is amazingly good! I can't believe they're only 10 points :)

Narric

Armourbane sounds like something use against vehicles.

One ting that I've just noticed with the FAQ, is someone asked "how wide is the beam from Staff of the Destroyer" Answer being 1mm, but surely that shouldn't need to be asked?