News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

2S Tau Empire Codex - 6th Edition Restart

Started by Narric, July 13, 2012, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man They Call Jayne

That is true. And you always have to consider that if you want to take them you MUST take a Devilfish for them.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 13, 2012, 12:00:04 PM
Dont forget that as it stand the Eldar Pathfinders have Rending AND a possible AP1 shot. In this edition that is huge.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but they can't insta-gib an Archon with that. Or a Guard commander, or a Farseer. The Strength is what's upping their price. S5 would be cheaper as there's no chance of instant kills.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

What are the current arguments for getting rid of the Devilfish requierment for taking Pathfinders?

They actually do gain Scout when the PF are embarked, and in my last game, though my Devilfish was Destroyed, my unit of Pathfinders were fine.

The Man They Call Jayne

The OPTION to take one would be fine. Its the fact that you MUST spend a good 80points or so just get a good number of markerlights on the field that grates. Or if the Devilfish was actually a good transport.

I have always been a fan of the Skyray being given to the pathfinders. Or it being an upgrade option for them.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 13, 2012, 12:21:41 PM
The OPTION to take one would be fine. Its the fact that you MUST spend a good 80points or so just get a good number of markerlights on the field that grates. Or if the Devilfish was actually a good transport.

I have always been a fan of the Skyray being given to the pathfinders. Or it being an upgrade option for them.
Again, this is where points tweaking comes in I think. About 65~70 seems more reasonable for a Devilfish. It's a skimmer so it gets Jink for moving now, it's not Fast so can't boost that like a Raider can, but it's not open-topped and has significantly better armour than a Raider. Personally I would say 70 then playtest.

Does a Skyray have a transport capacity at the minute?
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

What about a specific Devilfish Variant for Pathfinder Units?

A Markerlight Array mounted on the Turret Port, effectly the inverse of a Sky Ray.

Give it a minor tansport capactity, say 6 Models for an average size PF unit, and it should be good.

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on July 13, 2012, 12:27:39 PM
Does a Skyray have a transport capacity at the minute?
Thats a no. I believe the 2S'Dex does.

The Man They Call Jayne

The devilfish also lacks any kind of decent weaponry. its ALL 5/5.

The option for a TL battlesuit weapon on the turret would make it immensly more useful. The fact that you cant fire out of it is also a bugger because it's "pressurised" which is a stupid argument once you have reached groud level. And if you take a penetrating hit over the course of the game, you are no longer pressurised anyway.

A Skyray with an 8 man capacity id not unreasonable. Account for some bracing for the roof and some tagetting computers and you can justify losing 4 people.

Narric

Do your have some sort of Razorback type Devilfish variant to suggest?

The Man They Call Jayne

I would say make the Devilfish chassis 60 points.

Turret mounted weapon:

TL Missile Pod +10
TL Plasma Rifle + 20
TL Burst Cannons +5

Then you can have either a Chin Mounted Burst Cannon for 5 points or a Marker Turret for 10.

Gun Drones as standard.

No need to reduce the capacity.

Or for 40points you can add a Skyray Missile Wing in place of the turret weapon. Thats the Skyray Turret as it is in the Tau Empire Codex now, with one use seekers and the Networked Markers.

The usual Vehicle upgrades can be added at the players discretion.

Narric

That sounds cool ,but I question how the turret would be modeled. No way in hell am I paying for the Forge World turrets to use in a regular game.

I have a devilfish I'm willing to scrap, for science. I'll see about converting the capula to include space for the weapons. I will say it won't be a novices conversion opportunity.

Charistoph

The Sky Ray as is, should not get transport capacity.  The armor is too strong for one, and the Sky Ray should have Skyfire and Interceptor on its Marker Lights at a minimum.

Should there be a Skyfire weapon option for 'Fish, 'Head, and Rays sponsons?

Anyone else want to point out Target Locks and Split Fire?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

The Man They Call Jayne

Get a Kinder Egg and use the capsule inside (avoid the mockolate at all costs). Cut maybe the top 1/4 off the capsule and attatch that to the cupola (cant remember exactly how big they are). Then add the 2 weapons to that, one on either side, and add some standard details, maybe a target lock and some sensors, many make a small vent in the back. Should look fine :)

Narric

That sounds terrible >_< I'm sure in your mind it does look good, but to me it doesn't sound very inspiring.

Quote from: Charistoph on July 13, 2012, 03:40:39 PM
The Sky Ray as is, should not get transport capacity.  The armor is too strong for one, and the Sky Ray should have Skyfire and Interceptor on its Marker Lights at a minimum.

Should there be a Skyfire weapon option for 'Fish, 'Head, and Rays sponsons?

Anyone else want to point out Target Locks and Split Fire?
I happen to agree with you, transports don't have a place in the Heavy Support of the Tau.

Only on its Markerlights? Shouldn't they be the whole models SRs, not specific weapons?

Devilfish, no.The Hammerhead however, could do with an optional system to confers Skyfire. I think Interceptor would be ott for a hammerhead, so should stay on the Sky Ray.

Onto Broadsides. Perhaps they could have an upgrade that confers Tank Hunters? would relieve the Hammerhead to take out enemy Air-support, and makes enemy ground armour hesitant to move from cover.

El ShasOcho

I don't know if a railgun would really be an effective AA weapon, seeing it is a single shot gun. The ion cannon definitely would be though, I think that gun should have skyfire added to its codex entry certainly. That way it also might be a more viable choice than it is now.

Quote from: Lee Lee Declis on August 06, 2010, 03:14:38 AM
Although, it must be said, one should always have a Fantasy in

The Man They Call Jayne

Skyfire on the Ion Cannon would work, but that still means you are losing a Railgun. But it just wouldnt work on a Railgun.

I do know that I will be using the Plasma Turret more often now though.